TAP going belly up?

slim123

Leagues are what is bringing the money to the pool halls. There are alot of people and they spend a great bit on food drinks. It's not the leagues that have the bad name, once in awhile you get some scumbag that is running it and collecting the money and runnng off with it. I've seen it thru the years. The leagues do support the industry, like the old saying goes , provide for the masses and you will prosper

Pool halls without leagues fail. Pool halls make their money on food and alcohol

I don't play league anymore and haven't in years, but those people come out for their weekly social event like bowlers use too. It doesn't matter if they win or lose those people, in the leagues have fun

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You do know leagues are what is keeping pool alive around this country? 30k plus people show up for the SBE event. What can be said about single privately owned rooms. The last nice pool room closed in my area over a year ago. If it wasn't for leagues, most of people who played there, wouldn't be playing much pool. Glad you have a decent place to play, but that isn't the reality for most players. Leagues pump money into the bar/tavern economy, which isn't a bad thing. IMO
Leagues suck
Hold rooms hostage
Drag down the essence of pool is
Bunch of champions playing on toy tables
And people wonder why pool goes nowhere

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leagues are what is bringing the money to the pool halls. There are alot of people and they spend a great bit on food drinks. It's not the leagues that have the bad name, once in awhile you get some scumbag that is running it and collecting the money and runnng off with it. I've seen it thru the years. The leagues do support the industry, like the old saying goes , provide for the masses and you will prosper

Pool halls without leagues fail. Pool halls make their money on food and alcohol

I don't play league anymore and haven't in years, but those people come out for their weekly social event like bowlers use too. It doesn't matter if they win or lose those people, in the leagues have fun
Why should some jamoke running a league giving adults patches and 5 inch trophies make more than the pool halls they hold hostage?

Bar leagues are like miniature golf. A much lesser version of the real thing.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
BCA league here is great. ~80% of the $$ comes right back to the players. We've had some of the biggest regional tournaments in the country, and had pros playing in open tournaments right before the regional a few times.
There are some other leagues that are set up as franchises that seem to keep ~80% of the money, oddly they are not catching on here. :LOL:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Leagues suck
Hold rooms hostage
Drag down the essence of pool is
Bunch of champions playing on toy tables
And people wonder why pool goes nowhere
League is the only reason you have a pool room with to play on at all. its attitudes like this is why pool goes nowhere. who wants to support a bunch of stuck up divas in a game where theres not enough money to put up with the people that play it!

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
League is the only reason you have a pool room with to play on at all. its attitudes like this is why pool goes nowhere. who wants to support a bunch of stuck up divas in a game where theres not enough money to put up with the people that play it!
Rather see pool dead than cheapened by a bunch of league hacks

Fitzz47

You do know leagues are what is keeping pool alive around this country? 30k plus people show up for the SBE event. What can be said about single privately owned rooms. The last nice pool room closed in my area over a year ago. If it wasn't for leagues, most of people who played there, wouldn't be playing much pool. Glad you have a decent place to play, but that isn't the reality for most players. Leagues pump money into the bar/tavern economy, which isn't a bad thing. IMO

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agree. Greed? How bout $5.00 beer?

That's pretty normal, restaurants and just bars charge the same or more. The standard outside of maybe some local lodge halls is 3x cost. I bought a basic sandwich and a soda at an airport stand, not even in a restaurant there, cost me $20 for what was maybe $2-3 cost if that if we want to talk about mark-ups.