Frozen cue ball to object ball question

Floydbeth

Registered
When cue ball and object ball are frozen , can you hit cue ball away from object ball , does not move then hit a rail and it will be a good hit?

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If object ball does not move its like it was not there so no contact….foul
Jmho

Catalin

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When cue ball and object ball are frozen , can you hit cue ball away from object ball , does not move then hit a rail and it will be a good hit?
No, but few know that you can hit straight through the object ball and it's not a foul (unless you scratch).

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Im not sure the ruling on this situation. I was told that (BCA/CSI rules) if the Q ball is frozen to one of your group that it counts as contacting one of your group but if that were true it should then count as a foul if the Q ball is frozen to your opponents group and you hit the Q ball. I suppose I just made the question more confusing now. :oops::oops:

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shooting through a ball frozen ball is not considered a foul although shooting away from contact with no other ball and cushion contact, is. The general rule covering a frozen cue ball is you may shoot through as though the obstacle does not exist. However, this to me is a conflict. IOW since the obstacle doesn't exist, and this is just one interpretation, a second contact and cushion are required to complete a legal hit. If this is confusing, it is.

Cuedup

You hit AWAY from it you said
The cue ball in its forward motion did not touch the object ball
Well,they were already touching. To touch it again it would have to touch it(frozen), not touch it,then touch it again.

That's not what happens when shooting through a frozen ball.

It's one of the rules pool gets wrong, imo.

I think snooker has it right. Probably why more people watch it,lol.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
No, but few know that you can hit straight through the object ball and it's not a foul (unless you scratch).
Or you can almost hit away from the OB, just grazing it enough to make it wobble in place a little - as long as the OB visibly moves at all it's a "hit".

pj
chgo

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
The general rule covering a frozen cue ball is you may shoot through as though the obstacle does not exist. However, this to me is a conflict. IOW since the obstacle doesn't exist, and this is just one interpretation, a second contact and cushion are required to complete a legal hit. If this is confusing, it is.
"As though" it doesn't exist for one kind of shot isn't the same as "it doesn't exist" for all kinds of shots. Besides, its "existence" is only ever brought up by you, not by the rules.

pj
chgo

Floydbeth

Registered
Thanks guys !!! The other team captain was so sure it wasn’t a
Foul , not worth fighting about
Glad we still won that game.
Lost the match though , though night! O well live and learn , fight another day!!!

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Getting credit for hitting a frozen ball that you shoot away from is a snooker rule, not a pool rule. So far as I know, it has never been a pool rule. Section 6 of the WPA rules covers this for pool: https://wpapool.com/rules-of-play/

If you want credit at pool for contacting an object ball, you have to make it move.

Last edited:

Nick B

This is gonna hurt
Silver Member
Getting credit for hitting a frozen ball that you shoot away from is a snooker rule, not a pool rule. So far as I know, it has never been a pool rule. Section 6 of the WPA rules cover this for pool: https://wpapool.com/rules-of-play/

If you want credit at pool for contacting an object ball, you have to make it move.
What Bob said. Shooting "away" is a snooker rule. You would be amazed what they call a push or double hit.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What Bob said. Shooting "away" is a snooker rule. You would be amazed what they call a push or double hit.

Yeah, this has been discussed quite a bit in a recent thread in a YouTube snooker video by Cesar Muroya. Many of the snooker fans have no idea what a double hit looks like. Unfortunately, that's also true for a lot of snooker referees.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In snooker what happens if your opponent leaves you frozen to the seven and you shoot away from the seven to pocket a red? Is it a foul since, by their rules, you contacted the seven before the red?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
"As though" it doesn't exist for one kind of shot isn't the same as "it doesn't exist" for all kinds of shots. Besides, its "existence" is only ever brought up by you, not by the rules.

pj
chgo
It's just one angle brought to my attention. To void the foul stigma on a frozen cue ball, the CB and OB must be considered a single entity. Therefore my previous post and the inconsistency in the rule.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Some players get this rule confused with snooker…in snooker you MUST shoot away…it’s an automatic hit. ...
A small nit here PT.... It's a hit only if it is to the advantage of the player. Shooting away from black when on reds is not a foul.

And to complete the idea.... At carom billiards what happens with a frozen ball depends on the game. You are never allowed to shoot into a frozen ball and you are not even allowed to shoot into a frozen rail. In the case of the cue ball frozen to an object ball, what happens depends on the game. At 3-cushion, the two balls are spotted at the shooter's option. At another form, you can either shoot away or have all three balls spotted, and at another form all three balls are spotted without option.