Break cues - Does the butt have an impact?

fish2

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If a Predator break shaft performs at 100 percent with the matching 14oz Predator Butt, will the same shaft perform at 100 percent with a 14 oz Players butt?

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Aside from the hit feel and balance, yes. What the cue does with the ball is 100% in the tip, shaft and player skill. The butt is basically a handle for the shaft.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Just curious but does that mean if I want a Szamboti cue but cant afford one I can just by a Szamboti shaft to put on my Lucky butt and it will just play like a real Szamboti????

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious but does that mean if I want a Szamboti cue but cant afford one I can just by a Szamboti shaft to put on my Lucky butt and it will just play like a real Szamboti????

Depends on what you mean by "play". Pocket the ball as easily, yes. Have the same balance, hit feel, and make you feel all nice and fuzzy that you own one, no. There is nothing past the joint of the shaft that will help anyone pocket a ball or enable it to move in any way different outside of what the person can do with it. Sure, a super light or heavy butt will have an effect on the stoke, but given a similar enough build, the butt makes no difference in the performance. Having a $40,000 custom interior or paint in a Ferrari won't make it corner or accelerate any faster than a cheaper version of the same car model, same thing goes for the cue butt. It may feel nicer, but it won't pocket the balls any better with the same shaft.

However, the term "how a cue plays" is probably thought by most to be a combination of deflection, the action it gets on the cueball, hit feel, construction quality, taper and diameter of the shaft and butt, and balance all combined into what one would feel was a good thing to have.

Having a cue from a well-known maker is as much for the art and cachet as anything else. I have played with some cues in the multi-thousand-dollar range that I don't like how the hit was as much as my $75 Lucky cue with its stock shaft that I used as my travel cue. The cue in my avatar is from Arthur, was ivory inlays, joint and ferrule, all highly sought after things. I played with it for maybe a few months before trading it for something else, did not like how it hit and moved the cueball much at all. Still liked having it to have it.

Last edited:

Zerksies

The most important thing about a cues butt is the balance point and the second is the diameter or taper of the diameter, and both of these points are personals preference.

These two points effect where you can grip on the cue's butt. Grip placement can also effect your bridge's length.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
The most important thing about a cues butt is the balance point and the second is the diameter or taper of the diameter, and both of these points are personals preference.

These two points effect where you can grip on the cue's butt. Grip placement can also effect your bridge's length.
why is that important

Zerksies

why is that important
Say in theory the balance point is further back on the cue. You are now putting your grip hand further back on the cue also making your bridge length longer. With your bridge now longer you have more slop in your stroke. Which in theory you now have more of an opportunity to mishit on the cue ball.

This is one of these one things effects the other and that thing effects something else.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
Say in theory the balance point is further back on the cue. You are now putting your grip hand further back on the cue also making your bridge length longer. With your bridge now longer you have more slop in your stroke. Which in theory you now have more of an opportunity to mishit on the cue ball.

This is one of these one things effects the other and that thing effects something else.
why is that important

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
why is that important
a lot of that 'in theory' stuff never actually comes into play in real world use. I have my main cue but i hit others all the time and the various parameters(weight,BP,shaft size, tip,etc) are easily adjusted to within a short time. A lot of this stuff is so overblown and becomes a mindf%^k for a lot of cue addicts.

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
a lot of that 'in theory' stuff never actually comes into play in real world use. I have my main cue but i hit others all the time and the various parameters(weight,BP,shaft size, tip,etc) are easily adjusted to within a short time. A lot of this stuff is so overblown and becomes a mindf%^k for a lot of cue addicts.
agreed

measureman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
a lot of that 'in theory' stuff never actually comes into play in real world use. I have my main cue but i hit others all the time and the various parameters(weight,BP,shaft size, tip,etc) are easily adjusted to within a short time. A lot of this stuff is so overblown and becomes a mind%^k for a lot of cue addicts.
Mosconi and Greenleaf and other old timers ran 100's and probably didn't think about their cues much.
If it felt good they played with it.
I know back in the '60's we didn't talk about cues, specs,tips or chalk at all.

Last edited: