Cell phone junkies

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Played 2 different younger players last week, both spent the whole of the matches glued to their phones while I was shooting, is this now the norm?
This is why I catch shit because I won’t call fouls on myself . Especially in this situation. Pay attention!!!! I’m not paying attention for you. If you miss a foul it’s on you. I’m on my phone a lot to in life but when I’m playing it sits down and my Apple Watch goes on airplane mode.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Face the truth, the title of this thread nailed it -- people are hooked. Cell Phones are the new heroin. With the advent/perfection of Musk's Neuralink Chip, a 24/7 mainline fix of data and voice is just a breath away. A brave new world is dawning.

And, spiraling deeper into the abyss . . . as any fan of True Crime knows, the ability which a cell phone affords the authorities (not overlooking suspicious spouses) to track one's whereabouts over extended periods of the past is another truly alarming aspect of these demon spawn. Between GPS Tracking/Location and DNA, society will have no need for either detectives or juries in the near future as criminal liability will be assigned simply through a computer printout.

Last edited:

TrxR

The only time I check my phone is between games and that's generally only when I have a decent wait between games.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will always call fouls on myself, except if someone is glued to their phone. If they can't pay attention to the game they are playing against me, and are engrossed in their phone, I more than likely will not let them know I fouled. I won't keep shooting if I miss, that would be cheating, but say, I missed and didn't hit a rail after, I'm not going to let them know they have ball in hand.
It's really priceless when shooting team league, and their partner is paying attention and knows I fouled but can't say anything. Usually, they will look over at me and just smile knowing why I did what I did.
Recently on a three person team league when my wife was up, her opponent while setting up for a shot, tapped the cueball forward about an inch and a half by mistake and looked over towards my wife and me as to what to do. I just had to sit there and not say anything. My wife had her back to the table engrossed in a conversation with her friend. When she saw my wife not paying attention, she rolled the cueball back to where it was and shot. She continued shooting making two more balls till she missed. I don't think she intentionally cheated as she is a new player and did look to ask my wife as to what she should do, but with my wife not paying any attention to her game, she did what she thought was right. I was so pissed at my wife as she continually doesn't pay attention to her game and is more focused on chatting with her friends.

CaptainBly

Registered
Honestly, I could care less what they are doing in the chair other than moving or trying to shark. Sitting and staring at their phone? How is this any different than opponents who purposely don't watch their opponent shoot? If they miss a foul, that is on them. I will always try to call all fouls I commit. I say try, because we have all missed a rail foul here or there.

skiergd011013

i
Played 2 different younger players last week, both spent the whole of the matches glued to their phones while I was shooting, is this now the norm?
I have a friend like this that I have known for over a decade. I just will not play with him anymore. Every time its his shot, his head is down buried in his phone and he needs to be told its his shot. I dont deal with that. Its unfortunate, because hes a good shot and we are a good matchup.
The last time we played, my other friend joined us as well. This other friend is more ballsy and hot headed than me, and told the offender, We can play, but no phones allowed, to which the offender said "thats not going to happen". He was right, it is NOT going to happen.

BlueRaider

Registered
I often check my phone as a nervous habit when playing, but it's just that. A quick check. I'll see if I have any new text messages or emails. I usually don't even unlock it. Same with taking a small sip of beer or water if I have one. I guess it's similar to chalking between shots--it's a mental reset of sorts to go from shooting mode to watching mode.

Even then, I still want to stop doing it, because I think anything other than 100% focus on the match is disrespectful to the opponent and game. It is really irritating to be at the table and see your opponent mindlessly scrolling, scrolling, scrolling. Especially when you foul and they're like "huh, what happened?"

I used to play against a guy who I thought had the most irritating chair behavior ever. He would sit literally on the "edge of his seat" like a coiled spring ready to jump up and fly to the table the instant I or any of his other opponents missed. It actually created a pressure of its own because it was so irritating and I wanted to keep him firmly planted in his chair. There was a palpable sense of him becoming even more "coiled" when you faced a hard shot, as if he was so giddy with anticipation of being able to shoot soon that his butt would actually start rising off the seat until you made the damn pot.

But I still find that to be more tolerable and acceptable than simply not giving a shit about the game in progress when you aren't at the table.

This is why I catch shit because I won’t call fouls on myself . Especially in this situation. Pay attention!!!! I’m not paying attention for you. If you miss a foul it’s on you. I’m on my phone a lot to in life but when I’m playing it sits down and my Apple Watch goes on airplane mode.
Isn't one supposed to call fouls on oneself in this game?

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
I often check my phone as a nervous habit when playing, but it's just that. A quick check. I'll see if I have any new text messages or emails. I usually don't even unlock it. Same with taking a small sip of beer or water if I have one. I guess it's similar to chalking between shots--it's a mental reset of sorts to go from shooting mode to watching mode.

Even then, I still want to stop doing it, because I think anything other than 100% focus on the match is disrespectful to the opponent and game. It is really irritating to be at the table and see your opponent mindlessly scrolling, scrolling, scrolling. Especially when you foul and they're like "huh, what happened?"

I used to play against a guy who I thought had the most irritating chair behavior ever. He would sit literally on the "edge of his seat" like a coiled spring ready to jump up and fly to the table the instant I or any of his other opponents missed. It actually created a pressure of its own because it was so irritating and I wanted to keep him firmly planted in his chair. There was a palpable sense of him becoming even more "coiled" when you faced a hard shot, as if he was so giddy with anticipation of being able to shoot soon that his butt would actually start rising off the seat until you made the damn pot.

But I still find that to be more tolerable and acceptable than simply not giving a shit about the game in progress when you aren't at the table.
Leave the damn thing in the car. There is no law saying we must be available constantly.