For the Taom Chalk Users

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So something I noticed several months ago was that as I used my piece of Taom, the way I chalk tended to create a deeper hole in the center of the chalk and change its nice, neat, original, shallow curvature.

Then I started to notice that other guys at the pool room who were using Taom were apparently experiencing the same wear and tear on their chalk were sanding down their chalk by rubbing it back and forth over a piece of course sand paper. What this produces is a thick, level ring of chalk along the outside edge of the chalk and really doesn't do much to remove the hole you've drilled into it.

So after a few moment on eBaby I found this:

I got it and now pop it into my drill and with a couple of trigger pulls it almost perfectly replicates the original Taom curvature.

Lou Figueroa

Flakeandrun

Could just use the edges of the chalk in application? Not had this issue with the pieces of Taom I'm currently using (pool or snooker cue - I have a piece for each). Coming up to a year of pyro usage on my pool cue now, not even a quarter of the way through the block.

When I was using square chalk, I would make the initial 'x' groves with a fine grit sand paper. But very light track mark only.

So something I noticed several months ago was that as I used my piece of Taom, the way I chalk tended to create a deeper hole in the center of the chalk and change its nice, neat, original, shallow curvature.

Then I started to notice that other guys at the pool room who were using Taom were apparently experiencing the same wear and tear on their chalk were sanding down their chalk by rubbing it back and forth over a piece of course sand paper. What this produces is a thick, level ring of chalk along the outside edge of the chalk and really doesn't do much to remove the hole you've drilled into it.

So after a few moment on eBaby I found this:

I got it and now pop it into my drill and with a couple of trigger pulls it almost perfectly replicates the original Taom curvature.

Lou Figueroa
What are you, like a gazillionaire? You sit around shaving the edges off diamonds and gold bars, too?

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I try not to make a big divot in the middle of my chalk...I really do....but I just can't seem to make it work. I see people with these almost flatly worn pieces of chalk and I just can't seem to do it. Oh well, still working on my first piece of Taom Pyro and it's been over a year now I'm sure.

Don't think I'll spend almost $30 on a grinder bit for my $20 chalk at this point. Could probably take some sandpaper cut into a shape like you find in the divot of of an Ultimate tip tool and double sided tape that to a ball of some sort and just do it by hand for like $1 though. But I probably won't do that either.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Swipe. Not drill. This is the path to righteousness, and the path is narrow and few shall find it.
I swipe and don't drill. However I have also noticed the heavy center wear. I think the difference is that I start my swipe from the center and bend my wrist to create an arc, (think snooker). With a cube of chalk this manifest as the corners being high but the sides worn down.

I know a few Taom users that are heavy players have their cylinders worn more flat than concave. They however slide the chalk in a perpendicular motion across their tips.

To combat the deeper concave wear. I make conscious effort to chalk both my breaker and jumper with the outer perimeter.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
I swipe and don't drill. However I have also noticed the heavy center wear. I think the difference is that I start my swipe from the center and bend my wrist to create an arc, (think snooker). With a cube of chalk this manifest as the corners being high but the sides worn down.
Try holding the chalk by its corners rather than by its sides when you're swiping.

pj
chgo

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
After so many years of playing I guess I just chalk the way I chalk : -)

Lou Figueroa
drill baby, drill
There is hope. I used to be driller. After boring 10,000 holes, I adopted the swipe technique after a pool buddy showed me the way. If need be, you can join my Drillers Anonymous club and can then complete the 12 step process then no more shaving the edges of chalk required ever again. But one must first be willing to admit they have a problem.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They need to offer a 'cube' option. Even tho they're supposed to last longer i do not like the feel of the round chalks at all. I still laugh when i think about the guy i saw drop a round chalk and it got kicked twice. He chased that damn thing like it was loose diamond. At these prices it almost is.

Last edited:

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
They need to offer a 'cube' option. Even tho they're supposed to last longer i do not like the feel of the round chalks at all. I still laugh when i think about the guy i saw drop a round chalk and it got kicked twice. He chased that damn thing like it was loose diamond. At these prices it almost is.
Nah, the chalk is worth more. It has some utility. The diamond may accidentally come with a spouse attached.

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member

I did not like the round chalk either....I just made my own comfort grip for it......put the cover on it and put it in my case or pocket when not using it....

The black does not photo well but it has indents and cut outs for the fingers and top....made of TPU (not hard plastic) so won't break when stepped or sat on and has a rubber grip feel to it.

chalk2.jpg
chalk1.jpg
chalk3.png

Greg M

They do offer a cube option. The Ding Junhui edition is made in Finland by Taom:

It's just unfortunate that it's not available through them directly.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member