Using More Centerball

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m realizing after 60 years of playing this game that I can accomplish a lot using centerball with regards to shot making and position. Has anyone determined how much centerball you use in a match?

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perfectly center ball, or the center axis?

I imagine the amount used depends very much on the player. And of course even then would vary quite a bit based on situations.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume you mean the vertical axis.

Id like to think that I'm attempting to play along the vertical axis 80% of the time.

Rather, when I look at where I want to be on the next ball or balls I mentally plan to get there not using side spin at least 80% of the time.

Last edited:

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
About a year ago I decided to only use the vertical axis of the CB, just for training and as an experiment. I did this willingly for 3 months, even on league nights, tournaments etc. It was an eye opener for me. Once I learned english I never shot a shot without it. This continued for years and years. Now I use english only when needed and it's improved my game a lot, both shot making and shape. It's surprising just how much you can do with the vertical axis only. I'm talking it was an eye opening experience. Also less misses from funky stuff spin does to aiming and throwing balls.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I assume you mean the vertical axis.

Id like to think that I'm attempting to play along the vertical axis 80% of the time.

Rather, when I look at where I want to be on the next ball or balls I mentally plan to get there not using side spin at least 80% of the time.
No, I mean that point on the cue ball where the vertical and horizontal axis converge . Centerball. Verstehen??

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get enough time in to have an A game. Yes I get an hour in daily but even that amounts to just a few minutes of quality focus. The method has "self organized" into vertical axis with minimal side for long shots; more juice on closer shots if the landings are bigger than stunning the ball here and there.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
My theory has vertical axis as first choice, with just a little above center to start whitey with a natural roll as prefered. Trying to keep friction between the cueball and cloth at a minimum. Keeping the equation simple. 🤷‍♂️ In practice I explore the extreme and hopeful to learn and even improve my chances of success on the shots that I decide need some special sauce.
Friction at contact between the cueball and object balls is also a consideration in my shot selections.
Cueball control is important only after I determine the optimal angle to get to the next ball with the least variation from the vertical axis, as it minimize the variables.
As Quigley said in the Down Under movie, "never said I didn't know how to use it."

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No, I mean that point on the cue ball where the vertical and horizontal axis converge . Centerball. Verstehen??
IMO strict center ball in advanced play would be a function of the player's hand size and default bridge height. After all, the rock will usually be rolling or dragging and not dead like center ball seems to imply.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Knowing where centerball is, is more important than playing it. Each shot requires a calculation that determines where and how hard I hit the white rock. If dead center gives me the optimal cueball rotation at the object ball contact, I use it. Up and down the vertical axis should be like learning the scales in music lessons. The Basics! So many beginners want to learn The Mass A shot first. One Shot Wonder is the next step on that path.
Willie Mosconi gave me simple drills to work while learning the basics. Wonder how much that book would cost today?

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
My theory has vertical axis as first choice, with just a little above center to start whitey with a natural roll as prefered. Trying to keep friction between the cueball and cloth at a minimum.
FYI, the exact spot to hit the CB for instant non-sliding roll is 40% (2/5) of maximum follow (viewed from the slightly elevated perspective of a “level” cue).

pj
chgo

Tin Man

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I break the game up into two parts: The hold game and the move game. The hold game is when you move the cue ball only a few inches or a foot or two, maybe bumping to a rail and out. The move game is when you plan on sending the cue ball up multiple rails, up and down table, etc.

When holding the cue ball there is rarely any need for sidespin. Sidespin is useful for changing direction and speed off of cushions, so on short movements it just doesn't have a function. When moving the cue ball, however, it is critical in controlling speed and direction.

So the amount of sidespin needed depends on how much we have to move the cue ball, and that depends on the game.

Straight pool - you can bend the pattern to minimize cue ball movement. When old timers talk about 90% of shots being center they come from a straight pool background.

8 ball. Mostly hold game, but maybe a few movements to get up and down table or deal with clusters and problems. In my experience it's closer to 75% center.

9/10 ball. Buckle up. We are moving quite a bit, chasing the balls up and down table as we can't work around the order of the balls. For this we average sidespin on maybe 50% of shots (although an individual rack could be almost all hold or almost all move).

I agree it is important to master what can be done on the vertical axis, but for every player who uses too much spin there are fifty that haven't developed their move game enough for my liking. These are the players that can run the open balls in an 8 ball rack but have trouble with the problems and completing their run.

In short, you need all of the tools, and to your point you need to know when to use them.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
9/10 ball. Buckle up. We are moving quite a bit, chasing the balls up and down table as we can't work around the order of the balls. For this we average sidespin on maybe 50% of shots (although an individual rack could be almost all hold or almost all move).
Watching Ray Martin play 9 ball at the Reno Sands in '85 or 6. Was very enlightening. His patern consistently took the shortest route. The 9 ball Players took routes that had them rolling with the shot line predominantly. Giving them a larger comfort zone on the next ball. Ray was so precise with the ceball that he made going across the line and stopped on the dime look easy. 🤷‍♂️
Even in the shots going around and navigation through traffic it pays to keep the strike to whitey on the center axis line when possible. Knowing the angles and geometry goes a long way.

Last edited:

Mensabum

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Knowing where centerball is, is more important than playing it. Each shot requires a calculation that determines where and how hard I hit the white rock. If dead center gives me the optimal cueball rotation at the object ball contact, I use it. Up and down the vertical axis should be like learning the scales in music lessons. The Basics! So many beginners want to learn The Mass A shot first. One Shot Wonder is the next step on that path.
Willie Mosconi gave me simple drills to work while learning the basics. Wonder how much that book would cost today?
Priceless to many!!👍🏻

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
Not much but I do stay near center most of the time….

BRKNRUN

Showin some A$$
Silver Member
What exactly is the definition of center vertical axis and how wide is it????

I would venture a guess that 80+% of us can't hit exactly what center axis is.....or at least not nearly as often as we think we do.....

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
What exactly is the definition of center vertical axis and how wide is it????
A line with no width - a vertical plane through the ball's 3D center viewed edge on by the shooter.

I would venture a guess that 80+% of us can't hit exactly what center axis is.....or at least not nearly as often as we think we do.....
Exactly? Maybe never.

Close enough for most shots? Sure, on a good day.

pj
chgo