Recent content by heater451

  1. H

    Little bit of knowledge, lot of luck....

    Seems like most favor the long, single-cushion kick. I get that for simplicity, but thinking about it a bit, I realized that I actually 'practice' the 3-cushion kick more often. There's a lot of times with friends (also league players), where we will end games shooting for the 3-c bank or the...
  2. H

    Does top spin and bottom spin affect the cue ball's path after hitting a cushion?

    Considered changing "topspin" in my earlier post to "follow", but they feel interchangeable to me....although, I *do* appreciate the (capital-P) Physics of the "peeling out" description, vs. "smoothly rolling". :)
  3. H

    Does top spin and bottom spin affect the cue ball's path after hitting a cushion?

    Would it just be inertia then, that causes the bend(s)?
  4. H

    Little bit of knowledge, lot of luck....

    So last Friday, I played in a local, bar tournament--single race, double-elimination, 8-ball, BCA rules on 7-ft Diamonds. I am an acquaintance/friend with my opponent, and he missed the 8 and left this: I didn't immediately see a defensive shot, as for something like this I tend to pull...
  5. H

    Does top spin and bottom spin affect the cue ball's path after hitting a cushion?

    I don't recall if I posted this in on AZ before, or in a Discord thread, but I could not find it with a quick search (and too lazy to really dig).... I have done this on a 9 ft table, with fast cloth, and HEAVY topspin. The reason that I remember it, is *because* I remember it bending twice...
  6. H

    Has CTE Taken Over Yet?

    The first rule about CTE is....
  7. H

    Why don't more bars lease Diamond pool tables?

    I usually try to read through a whole thread before I post, but did this time, so forgive me if it's been mentioned. I used to see Valley tables in bars which had a vendor sticker on them--as in like a vending machine company. So, my thought was that the tables were rented or leased from such...
  8. H

    Cue pivot SOTW alternative?

    I should have thought of the similar triangles part, but I was focused on what the change would be in 'a', as 'A' decreases, but 'ab' stays the same. I'm going to have to throw some values in a spreadsheet. :unsure:
  9. H

    Cue pivot SOTW alternative?

    When looking at aiming, I tend to treat them in a sort of "in a vacuum" manner, as EVERY system needs the disclaimer for "table conditions".... Looking at this had made me wonder, what the formula would be, for how much the center line would move towards the cue ball, as the cue ball moves...
  10. H

    Cue pivot SOTW alternative?

    I just wanted to add something: If the cue ball and the object ball were in line, from left to right, then the center of the 'X' would be equally distant from the parallel lines. As the diagram shows, as the cue ball is moved upwards, the center of the 'X' moves towards the cue ball (which...
  11. H

    Cue pivot SOTW alternative?

    This is in reference to the pocket-lines, correct? I was specifically explaining that for kicking to a ball in 'no man's land'--say the middle of the table. It's really just using the mirror system, but using the cue to aid the visualization. Some players will walk to perpendicular to the...
  12. H

    Cue pivot SOTW alternative?

    Doing this is basically what I mentioned in post #4. For a quick-and-dirty way to kick at a ball somewhere in the table interior (away from a cushion), I use the tip of my cue to "air measure" to where the mirrored target ball would be to get the base target line. Obviously, adjustments need...
  13. H

    Short bridge

    [Usual disclaimer: I am not a certified instructor] Is this a rules question? It actually would seem to be two questions--one as to whether an extension is legal to use, and the other whether a short(er) bridge/rake/crutch/rest can be used. As far as I know, extensions are legal, although I...
  14. H

    Cue pivot SOTW alternative?

    I mostly thought the same, although I could not tell if the perspective were also skewed, due to the camera placement.
  15. H

    Cue pivot SOTW alternative?

    Yes, instead of locating the spot on the wall from the shooting side, he is establishing the (reference) shot line from the *point of view* of the spot itself, and then pivoting, which swings the line to the cue ball. This is probably a bit more accurate than finding the spot by using...
Back
Top