Recent content by ShootingArts

  1. ShootingArts

    John Schmidt runs 820

    Yep, I have said it many times, Kevin might have been a huge con man but as far as the IPT, Mike conned Kevin though in all fairness he might have conned himself first! Unfortunately all of the playing fast and loose, and outright cheating, has made all attempts suspect. That isn't fair to...
  2. ShootingArts

    Dealing with cheats

    Yeah, just trying to help!(grin) Somebody used to have a rule about not touching the balls after they were racked. Sometimes there is a legitimate issue but when so both players will have the same issue. For those that don't know: Anything but one pocket, look for any gaps and break to the...
  3. ShootingArts

    Dealing with cheats

    First off let me admit I haven't kept up with current associations and rules, I am not interested in tournament play for myself. Never was much of a tournament player but I did once have a rulebook or two and read them cover to cover. Now on to the meat of the matter. No way can "random" and...
  4. ShootingArts

    Dealing with cheats

    Lots of ways to cheat but I got tired of it and quit. If I couldn't beat someone without cheating, even if they were, I didn't play. It was funny in the bars. Not uncommon for balls that had an open pocket to have the pocket blocked when I stepped away a moment during my turn. I just opened the...
  5. ShootingArts

    John Schmidt runs 820

    The tables they are running the big numbers on are neither fish nor fowl nor are any standard rules being used. If I set up equipment to suit me and played by my rules I could run a thousand before a week was out. It would be meaningless, sorta like runs where you foul multiple times on video...
  6. ShootingArts

    Is it time to play one pocket??

    Need to come down to Buff's for one of the big gambling events. The event itself, the brand of spectator these events draw, you will see power one pocket played. Some games last thirty minutes or an hour, a lot don't last ten minutes. Welcome to power one pocket! The tournament game in...
  7. ShootingArts

    Is it time to play one pocket??

    There are safety shots and there are safety shots. Some are a one shot move when nothing else is available then there are others that truly advance your position. Get on youtube and look up Gabe Owens playing the wedge game. I don't remember if the other player was Nick Varner or Neal somebody...
  8. ShootingArts

    Is it time to play one pocket??

    Play your weak hand against your strong hand when you are alone. If there is a huge gap between the two you can give the weak hand a little spot at first. This is very good weak hand exercise. It will require plenty of kicking and banking. I usually play myself to seven, playing yourself to...
  9. ShootingArts

    Down time due to surgery

    When they talk exploratory surgery I always think of an old story. An old oilman's wife was having difficulties. The doctor told them that they were going to have to do exploratory surgery to nail down what was wrong with his wife. "Hell No, ain't nobody wildcatting on my wife!" When I think...
  10. ShootingArts

    Strangest runout

    I showed that to one of the local small time hustlers. Made him try the snooker table. With, Ahem there, expert coaching he was making a few balls after forty-five minutes. Played on the snooker table maybe another hour and set out for the usual bar table action. He got on a table first. The...
  11. ShootingArts

    Bad home table

    People think a player should have a million stories but pool was my first or second job when I was playing nightly. It's a lot like asking what happened on my day job twenty years ago for the most part. All just a blur. I mostly remember when things got funny or dangerous. I know most have...
  12. ShootingArts

    REWARD + GoFundMe Acct. to catch Mike Surber's murderer

    Looking at stat's the chances of Mike's murder being solved is less than 50%. You would think killings would be solved but overall there is a less than 60% chance of a murder being solved in the US. Add the particulars and a cold case and odds are thin of the case being solved, even thinner that...
  13. ShootingArts

    Bad home table

    I was working in a dry county. First place to even buy a beer was thirty miles away. I was dry from working all week and a couple six packs slid right down! Another twenty miles to a pool table and a few miles off of the main highway, a town called Forest Hills LA. The table was one step away...
  14. ShootingArts

    Down time due to surgery

    They rebuilt my shoulder fifty years ago. Rotator cuff and shattered socket. I was in the hallway waiting for a slot in the operating room and already shot full of happy juices when the surgeon came up. "Don't worry about a thing, we will fix this shoulder right up!" "Doctor, I wasn't worried...
  15. ShootingArts

    Vintage Bar Table Tutorial

    We moved to Baton Rouge two weeks after school started when I was in the third grade. Put a bullseye on me and I started getting in fights, backing down never crossed my mind. When we were playing the concrete steps we played king of the hill on were seven steps and a landing. This year kinda...
Back
Top