What Books/ Materials is your go to to study 3C diagrams????

billiardshot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Eddie Robin, Robert Byrne, Bill Smith, PDF Online, or Etc?? Beside just practice, playing, or tournament

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
I never get tired of going back through Byrnes books.

I own Robin's book, but haven't actually spent much time studying it.

I think I've probably spent more time trying to learn systems in the Walt Harris books than the rest of the non Byrne material.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I never get tired of going back through Byrnes books.

I own Robin's book, but haven't actually spent much time studying it.

I think I've probably spent more time trying to learn systems in the Walt Harris books than the rest of the non Byrne material.
Robin has said that his book will not be useful to players under about a 0.7 average.

Harris's books could be greatly improved if each system was explained in detail. The reader is left to discover the details on his own.

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Eddie Robin, Robert Byrne, Bill Smith, PDF Online, or Etc?? Beside just practice, playing, or tournament
My personal (unpopular in some circles) opinion is that 3-cushion systems are overrated as a learning tool for advanced players, and just about useless as a learning tool for not-too advanced students of the game. In fact, all this doing-math-in-your-head while you should be playing billiards will be counterproductive. There's no way a 0.4 - 0.7 player will be able to digest systems knowledge AND do all the real-life adjustments the tables force on him/her. More and more top players are freeing themselves of ballast, and are going back to playing on feel. If you are below 0.7, forget about systems, focus on choice of shot and technique.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
My personal (unpopular in some circles) opinion is that 3-cushion systems are overrated as a learning tool for advanced players, and just about useless as a learning tool for not-too advanced students of the game. In fact, all this doing-math-in-your-head while you should be playing billiards will be counterproductive. There's no way a 0.4 - 0.7 player will be able to digest systems knowledge AND do all the real-life adjustments the tables force on him/her. More and more top players are freeing themselves of ballast, and are going back to playing on feel. If you are below 0.7, forget about systems, focus on choice of shot and technique.
Bert
and billiard shot and bob jewett who agree with you
for these 0.4-0.7 players that really don't yet have a feel/knowledge for the tracks/angles/spins
dont you think the systems show them the way?
like training wheels when you are learning to ride a bycycle?
with experience
as you “see” / understand angles and spin where your cue ball is going AND HOW THE TABLE IS PLAYING
you develop the “ corrections “ necessary to the formula?

Last edited:

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
One factor that hasn't been mentioned is that some people just suck at math and the time it takes them to calculate will make systems even more work.

On the other hand, for people who have an aptitude for math, many basic system shots can be figured out in seconds and get you close to where you need to hit. Obviously every table is different, blah blah, but I do use a couple of Harris systems that help me almost every day I play.

Top players have played thousands of hours and hit a billion shots...at some point it makes perfect sense to just use feel.

Reactions: bbb

Bert van Manen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bert
for these 0.4-0.7 players that really don't yet have a feel/knowledge for the tracks/angles/spins
with experience
as you “see” / understand angles and spin where your cue ball is going AND HOW THE TABLE IS PLAYING
That's a totally valid question. If you are convinced, in your own mind, that it helps you, who am I to say you shouldn't study systems? Go ahead and have fun. But I have the 40+ years of experience to tell you the "return on investment" will be extremely low. Compare it to this: you are driving behind a truck on a 2-lane road. Far away, there is a car coming in the opposite lane. Can you calculate if it's safe to overtake? Yes, that can be done (would take me a week, by the way). Is calculating the speed of the truck, the distance, the other car, your acceleration potential, a good way to become a better driver? No. Experienced drivers take one look, and they KNOW. Driving often and for many miles has the far superior return on investment.

KissedOut

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bert
with experience
I´m not a very good player, and for me personally the only system that has helped me make an extra point, here and there, is the Spot on the Wall system.

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Simply looking at the lines?
Mr 100
Unfortunately if you want to go to sleep dreaming of lines with this book, it may be advised to wear a face guard.

RickMalm

Virtual Pool 4: On my PC. Setup and shoot any 3C shot on a billiard table with carom balls.

Adnreas Elfer's ebooks, hardcopy and his lessons on YouTube

Abdulkadir Yazıcı know as Bilardo Matematigi. His YouTube channel and his website is full of system shot diagrams and videos of the shots
Murat Tüzül “Table Value” and No E side system.
ALLSYSTEM.pdf (link is in an earlier post in this forum) Required some online translation (cut an paste)

Robert Byrne's Advanced Technique in Pool and Billiards

VP4:

vp4 break.jpg

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I´m not a very good player, and for me personally the only system that has helped me make an extra point, here and there, is the Spot on the Wall system.

I was just going to post that.

It's easy and a beginner gets a real kick out of knowing instantly how to get it close.

Jeff Livingston

ProfessorQBall

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have two books for sale. Eddie Robinson Positition Play in Three Cushion Billiards and
Raymond Ceulemans Mister 100.
Anyone interest call 901 210-7251 Paul Frankel

jeagle64

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Billiard manual V1 by Alfred Wenzl.
Excellent book for all skill levels. Many diagrams with easy explanations and directions. This is where I start after a break from the game.

Sent from my iPad using AzBilliards Forums