African Blackwood log

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I just picked up a very well aged log, it has been sitting in a basement for 40+ years. It's 8" ×4' long. I have not cut up any logs before just rough lumber. I have a basic idea of how I will tackle it but would greatly appreciate any insights so as I don't waste any of this precious wood. Thank you

Attachments

• 20220917_162007.jpg
    20220917_162007.jpg
    239 KB · Views: 172

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
May be well aged, but most full logs will never fully dry, depending on size. It helps that the bark was taken off. Hit and miss as to whether the wood is actually any good without being punky near the center, or cracked. How to cut, would depend on intended use. For cue building, you might want to cut a short piece off the end first, say 5 to 6 inches or so, enough that you could make some butt squares to see if it really is good inside. If all looks good you may want to find someone with a portable band sawmill, Woodmizer, or something like that. Would only take a couple minutes to cut that way. Or another option is, if you or someone you know has a good bandsaw, cut the log into lengths a couple inches longer than you would want to use for cue making, then run those through a bandsaw. You would need some kind of a sled to make your initial cuts if done this way. I know when I had my Woodmizer, if someone came to me with that, and I was already running the mill for something else, I may have cut it for free for you, or charged you $5 or so. If I had to come out of my shop and start the mill for that one little job, probably $20-$30.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
May be well aged, but most full logs will never fully dry, depending on size. It helps that the bark was taken off. Hit and miss as to whether the wood is actually any good without being punky near the center, or cracked. How to cut, would depend on intended use. For cue building, you might want to cut a short piece off the end first, say 5 to 6 inches or so, enough that you could make some butt squares to see if it really is good inside. If all looks good you may want to find someone with a portable band sawmill, Woodmizer, or something like that. Would only take a couple minutes to cut that way. Or another option is, if you or someone you know has a good bandsaw, cut the log into lengths a couple inches longer than you would want to use for cue making, then run those through a bandsaw. You would need some kind of a sled to make your initial cuts if done this way. I know when I had my Woodmizer, if someone came to me with that, and I was already running the mill for something else, I may have cut it for free for you, or charged you $5 or so. If I had to come out of my shop and start the mill for that one little job, probably $20-$30.
I knew it was a bit risky buying the log but I got it for a price that I can live with the risk. He know the history. He said he purchased it off a guy back in the 70's who imported it from England. The guy I bought it from and the guy he got it from were both flute makers.so potentially this log was cut over 60 years ago. The ends have a bit of checking but I think it still has potential. I have access to a big bandsaw so I think I can cut it myself. I am guessing one of the bigger challenges is making that initial reference surface.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You will need some kind of a sled to hold the log for the initial cuts. Keep in mind that most bandsaws will track at a slight angle, even with a new and sharp blade, so try to figure that out beforehand and adjust log accordingly. I have a 20" bandsaw in my shop and would probably use a 3/4" or 1" blade for that. A good new 1/2" blade with 2 or 3 teeth per inch might work if it has enough set. Your challenge will be to not let the log rock in the least when making the first initial cuts to get a flat surface. Maybe cheaper and more productive to find someone with a woodmizer, but it can be done on a bandsaw. Plan out from the pith, if you want a 2" square, measure 1" out ea way from the pith, then every 2" from there. If doing on a home/shop bandsaw I would probably make my 1st cut on the inside line of my most outer board. The center 2" square of the pith will be waste wood. Looks like beautiful wood, hopefully its good inside.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reality is, wood will never get better by waiting to cut, unless you want a spalted effect. I've done a lot of that for woodturning, and loose probably 60-80% of my blanks. Either you don't get a good spalting effect, or you wait too long trying to get your desired effect and the wood is no good anymore. Would I want a cue with spalted wood in it, not really sure, knowing what I know, but probably would be ok after stabilizing. Not sure where the weight would fall, spalted wood is light, after stabilizing not sure where the wood falls as to its weight. I did look at a Jacoby no wrap cue with a spalted handle section that I liked a lot but held off buying it as I was just unsure. Someday, I would like a no wrap with ash burl in it.

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Reality is, wood will never get better by waiting to cut, unless you want a spalted effect. I've done a lot of that for woodturning, and loose probably 60-80% of my blanks. Either you don't get a good spalting effect, or you wait too long trying to get your desired effect and the wood is no good anymore. Would I want a cue with spalted wood in it, not really sure, knowing what I know, but probably would be ok after stabilizing. Not sure where the weight would fall, spalted wood is light, after stabilizing not sure where the wood falls as to its weight. I did look at a Jacoby no wrap cue with a spalted handle section that I liked a lot but held off buying it as I was just unsure. Someday, I would like a no wrap with ash burl in it.
Check with Meridian blades on here. In the past he has offered some very nice black ash burl blanks. Impregnated.
Great stuff

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The wood will still need to be acclimated after its cut but just because it has never been cut doesn't mean the wood has gone bad. I understand your skepticism but I believe in this case is a little unwarranted. Getting any type of rosewood now is no easy task, and it won't be getting any easier. I will cut the log and then will see. Thank you for your insights.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really sorry for the confusion, as that last comment by me wasn't meant to be directed at your log. I could see in your picture there didn't appear to be any spalting. I was just making a comment in genral for others as to processing wood. To be honest, your log looks quite good, and is a beautiful piece of wood.

triley41395

You'll shoot your eye out
Silver Member
So I just picked up a very well aged log, it has been sitting in a basement for 40+ years. It's 8" ×4' long. I have not cut up any logs before just rough lumber. I have a basic idea of how I will tackle it but would greatly appreciate any insights so as I don't waste any of this precious wood. Thank you
Wood(pun intended) you please post some pictures of this log during your processing.
I'm not a cuemaker nor do I plan on processing any logs, but I love beautiful woods and it looks like it might be fabulous looking. I'm going to continue to watch this thread.
Thanks

Ssonerai

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have not cut up any logs before just rough lumber. I have a basic idea of how I will tackle it but would greatly appreciate any insights

Have you done the deed yet? :)

If not, show both ends.
I've only sawn a few small logs on my vertical bandsaws, but have resawn acres of lumber.
Once you figure out the orientation of the first cut, run the log over your jointer to make a flat on the "bottom" at 90 degrees.
Even if you have to take 1/2 or 3/4" depth in a few passes,, it is not really removing anything useful, and it will stabilize the log immensely for the actual cut.

I would be very tempted to put a flat on it, or to screw a flat board to the "bottom" as the sliding surface, and saw it free hand to a chalk line. for the first face. Reason being 1.)what muskyed said about all bandsaw blades lead. Freehand, you will just follow the line. If the log is constrained on a guided carriage and the band leads, it will wander and under cut, or cut a bow, or all three until it runs out or stalls. Be sure there is enough flat on it that the log can't roll, though. 2.) It's not a big factor for air dried wood, but in many cases as the cut progresses, lumber often starts to spring from release of stress. Freehand, you can sense this more quickly, and adapt. In some cases stop the saw, wedge the wood, and back out to try from the other end.

OTOH, if you do choose to screw a board to the bottom & use that as both a flat and a guide, you are probably familiar with how most people find the lead in a new band. Use a flat board with parallel edges; and with a marking gage, draw a straight line parallel to one edge. Then saw it very steadily freehand, stop in the cut, and clamp the board. The parallel edge indicates the alignment to the table, to place the fence. Draw a line on the table, using the edge of the un-moved board as the reference. I then compare that to either a table edge, or one of the T-slots. E.g., is the front of the line 1/4" closer to the T slot at infeed edge compared to the outfeed edge? I use that relationship to set the fence at any other space from the blade. Set the fence, then saw some boards relatively fast, and see if the band tries to climb outward and take an ever bigger bite, or if it leads toward the fence. Make very slight adjustments until the band tracks right down a parallel line. with a board against the fence. Then start sawing the "good" wood.

Don't cut too close while slabbing. wood moves, sometimes the saw band does too. Trying to save an extra 1/8" of cut might lead to a board that is undersize after you flatten/straighten it. If you have a log to practice on, this can all be dialed in on the saw and process. But if it is one shot, you have to be a little conservative.

I'm assuming a saw with a big enough table, and adequate support. If you are sawing logs you probably have a 30" or 36" saw. Another assumption is that the guides and wheels are set up correctly so there is not induced twist or bow in the band. For instance a band that is riding the back guide heavily before it even begins to cut, is bowed to start, and then will wander as the cut progresses. A band that is constrained to deflect by a mis-adjusted side plate of the guides will try to make an S curve, and wander in the cut vertically. A band should ideally be a couple thousandths from each side plate and from the back guide when running without load. Not rubbing anywhere except sometimes the weld area, when turned through by hand. Barely kissing any of them as it idles under power. Meaning the wheels have to be round, too. A throbbing band from slightly out of round tires does no good for cut quality. etc.

My memory is that blackwood can be fairly hard on a sawblade. Start with a sharp one. My buddy who resaws exotics (rosewoods) more often than me uses carbide tipped bands. In that species, I've only resawed short 8/4 x 6" - 7"wide boards, a few at a time.

Good luck!

smt

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you done the deed yet? :)

If not, show both ends.
I've only sawn a few small logs on my vertical bandsaws, but have resawn acres of lumber.
Once you figure out the orientation of the first cut, run the log over your jointer to make a flat on the "bottom" at 90 degrees.
Even if you have to take 1/2 or 3/4" depth in a few passes,, it is not really removing anything useful, and it will stabilize the log immensely for the actual cut.

I would be very tempted to put a flat on it, or to screw a flat board to the "bottom" as the sliding surface, and saw it free hand to a chalk line. for the first face. Reason being 1.)what muskyed said about all bandsaw blades lead. Freehand, you will just follow the line. If the log is constrained on a guided carriage and the band leads, it will wander and under cut, or cut a bow, or all three until it runs out or stalls. Be sure there is enough flat on it that the log can't roll, though. 2.) It's not a big factor for air dried wood, but in many cases as the cut progresses, lumber often starts to spring from release of stress. Freehand, you can sense this more quickly, and adapt. In some cases stop the saw, wedge the wood, and back out to try from the other end.

OTOH, if you do choose to screw a board to the bottom & use that as both a flat and a guide, you are probably familiar with how most people find the lead in a new band. Use a flat board with parallel edges; and with a marking gage, draw a straight line parallel to one edge. Then saw it very steadily freehand, stop in the cut, and clamp the board. The parallel edge indicates the alignment to the table, to place the fence. Draw a line on the table, using the edge of the un-moved board as the reference. I then compare that to either a table edge, or one of the T-slots. E.g., is the front of the line 1/4" closer to the T slot at infeed edge compared to the outfeed edge? I use that relationship to set the fence at any other space from the blade. Set the fence, then saw some boards relatively fast, and see if the band tries to climb outward and take an ever bigger bite, or if it leads toward the fence. Make very slight adjustments until the band tracks right down a parallel line. with a board against the fence. Then start sawing the "good" wood.

Don't cut too close while slabbing. wood moves, sometimes the saw band does too. Trying to save an extra 1/8" of cut might lead to a board that is undersize after you flatten/straighten it. If you have a log to practice on, this can all be dialed in on the saw and process. But if it is one shot, you have to be a little conservative.

I'm assuming a saw with a big enough table, and adequate support. If you are sawing logs you probably have a 30" or 36" saw. Another assumption is that the guides and wheels are set up correctly so there is not induced twist or bow in the band. For instance a band that is riding the back guide heavily before it even begins to cut, is bowed to start, and then will wander as the cut progresses. A band that is constrained to deflect by a mis-adjusted side plate of the guides will try to make an S curve, and wander in the cut vertically. A band should ideally be a couple thousandths from each side plate and from the back guide when running without load. Not rubbing anywhere except sometimes the weld area, when turned through by hand. Barely kissing any of them as it idles under power. Meaning the wheels have to be round, too. A throbbing band from slightly out of round tires does no good for cut quality. etc.

My memory is that blackwood can be fairly hard on a sawblade. Start with a sharp one. My buddy who resaws exotics (rosewoods) more often than me uses carbide tipped bands. In that species, I've only resawed short 8/4 x 6" - 7"wide boards, a few at a time.

Good luck!

smt
That was a great and thorough explanation. Thank you for all the insights. I have not made time for cutting the log as of yet, trying to take advantage of what is left with the nice weather to do outside activities before the snow falls.

JerseyBill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
need more pictures at other angles to appaise situation. Obviously a large bandsaw and very accurate is required but this may be a special cut.