• IMG_100623_075204.jpg
    IMG_100623_075204.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:

Michael Webb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And No!
It's not Meucci for the Meucci bashers. I won't mention the maker. I don't come here to put Cue makers under the Bus.
The body of the insert is Juma
Yayyy. GREAT CHOICE.... NOT!

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
And No!
It's not Meucci for the Meucci bashers. I won't mention the maker. I don't come here to put Cue makers under the Bus.
The body of the insert is Juma
Yayyy. GREAT CHOICE.... NOT!
I like how you say you won't mention the name but clearly can see it laser etched on the tube. 😁

jokers_wild96

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah it doesn't bond as well your right. I had made one shaft using devcon 2ton. And that happened. I found out I needed to lightly sand the inside of the tube. An employee could've let that slip through.

Dave38

theemperorhasnoclotheson
Silver Member
Have had some experiences with repairs lately also. The main problem seems to be not prepping the inside properly. The joint was a small name company, and the insert seemed to be similar to delrin, Was able to just peel the epoxy right off. I actually applied expoxy(west) to the insert and when dried, it peeled off too.The ferrule popping off was actually a big name one, they never sanded the inside before gluing. Too many people are getting into shaft making with little to no idea what they are doing and how to prep correctly, IMO. SMH.
20221121_113508.jpg

20221201_121408.jpg
20230407_131624.jpg

Attachments

• 20221121_113508.jpg
    20221121_113508.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 67

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't disagree. I'd say that people who use quick epoxy are also less likely to properly prep the surface.
Didn't read this entire thread but agree.
Anyone in your business using quick glues??
Frankly don't have a clue.

I waited over a year for a cue from Dieckman that was essentially done. Except the Shafts.
The 2nd one took over 2 years. That one was from scratch.

Using 5 minute glue on a 2 year+ project makes zero sense.

Canadian cue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I do appreciate makers who use 5 min epoxy when installing a pin. Don't have to use as much heat when removing the pin and it compromises the joint area much less. It is similar to makers who use yellow glue for installing a leather wrap instaed of contact cement. Removing one becomes a royal pain. Some parts of the cue are designed to be serviceable. I don't use 5 min for much but it still has its place.

CavinTan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you think this might be due to inproper prep of the inner tube instead of the epoxy?

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I do appreciate makers who use 5 min epoxy when installing a pin. Don't have to use as much heat when removing the pin and it compromises the joint area much less. It is similar to makers who use yellow glue for installing a leather wrap instaed of contact cement. Removing one becomes a royal pain. Some parts of the cue are designed to be serviceable. I don't use 5 min for much but it still has its place.
If it's brass, aluminum or G-10, no reason not to use the best epoxy possible.

rack runner

Registered
Have had some experiences with repairs lately also. The main problem seems to be not prepping the inside properly. The joint was a small name company, and the insert seemed to be similar to delrin, Was able to just peel the epoxy right off. I actually applied expoxy(west) to the insert and when dried, it peeled off too.The ferrule popping off was actually a big name one, they never sanded the inside before gluing. Too many people are getting into shaft making with little to no idea what they are doing and how to prep correctly, IMO. SMH.
View attachment 703471

View attachment 703469View attachment 703470
a little ocd and prep goes a long way lol