Senior Snooker Championships

WilliamK

Registered
Currently the "Masters" is referred to as a "Seniors" event but it is for players 40 years young and includes professionals.

Ireland runs a national championship for Over 55s and in Australia we have started Over 50s, Over 60s and Over 70s state championships for "amateurs". The first Over 50s Queensland state championship was run in June and the Over 60s will be run next month with the Over 70s (the big one) slated for November.

To promote snooker for seniors and ensure that seniors get the respect that they deserve, the Australian Senior Snooker Association (ASSA) was incorporated and is managed by "seniors". The ASSA is based in Queensland and our first 3 state championships will hopefully serve as examples that the other states can follow.

Funding and grants can be enhanced by International status, so the ASSA is seeking like-minded groups in other countries interested in being a member of the World Senior Snooker Organisation (WSSO). Membership costs nothing and the only requirement is that one hosts a "senior" snooker championship at state or national level.

WSSO is seeking one affiliate for each country and also inviting nominations for President, Vice President and Treasurer.

For more information please use the contact form at one of the above sites.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I lived in Detroit I occasionally drove to Windsor to play at the snooker club. There’s just nowhere to play anymore. Those 12’ tables are too tough for light weight pool players. I had a 92 on a 10’ table when I was younger and dabbled at snooker. Just barely over hack status.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I lived in Detroit I occasionally drove to Windsor to play at the snooker club. There’s just nowhere to play anymore. Those 12’ tables are too tough for light weight pool players. I had a 92 on a 10’ table when I was younger and dabbled at snooker. Just barely over hack status.
There are a bunch of snooker tables in Houston and the occasional tournament. Findsnooker.com tries to keep a list of tables in the US but they depend on the kindness of players for the info.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There are a bunch of snooker tables in Houston and the occasional tournament. Findsnooker.com tries to keep a list of tables in the US but they depend on the kindness of players for the info.
Thanks. I’ve been looking over a few rooms

WilliamK

Registered
I have been doing some coding for a sporting channel in USA and when I mentioned "snooker" they had to google it. Apparently none of their competitors knew what snooker was either!

WilliamK

Registered
Those 12’ tables are too tough for light weight pool players.
That is an interesting way of putting it. I grew up playing pool on a 3/4 sized table, which is much bigger than what we used to call "pub tables". I didn't start playing snooker I turned 30. As a consequence I have always had a problem with that extra 2 feet.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is an interesting way of putting it. I grew up playing pool on a 3/4 sized table, which is much bigger than what we used to call "pub tables". I didn't start playing snooker I turned 30. As a consequence I have always had a problem with that extra 2 feet.
My high run on a 10' table is 92, on a 12'er its 32. I rarely play the game, those numbers are from 30 years ago.

WilliamK

Registered
2023 Queensland Over 70s Snooker Championship

Played at the Gold Coast Snooker Club in Nerang on 17th of November, this snooker tournament would have to be the very first Over 70s championship ever played in the world. Snooker is one the few sports that can be played regardless of age or weather. It was the two most senior players the group that made it to the final... Kenny is 80 and Dennis is 82!