Battery powered light needed

ktm125

Registered
Need suggestions for battery powered light for when the power goes out.
6500k LED that I can temporary mount to my Diamond Billiards 9' light when needed.
Assume it would be nice to have lights with diffuser.
Anyone have experience with this setup?

shooter_Hans

ROFL

The power goes out all the time? I think it is overboard to put an emergency light setup to play pool. I think that should be the least of your worries.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Need suggestions for battery powered light for when the power goes out.
6500k LED that I can temporary mount to my Diamond Billiards 9' light when needed.
Assume it would be nice to have lights with diffuser.
Anyone have experience with this setup?
Why not just use the light that's there with a backup plug?

Ģüśţāṿ

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I actually love this idea. I have power outtages all too often, and use a Makita work light, which leaves shadows.

I'm going to look into a battery backup for my table lights!

Twocylndr

1710348928079.png

George the Greek

We had no power for 7 days during Christmas when we lived in Toronto. We sold that house and moved rural and first thing we did was install a Generac and with being on well water and sump pumps it was worth it. Our new build we just installed an 18KW Generac. Not waiting for a power failure

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The power usually goes out during cold weather (unless you live in CA with rolling-blackouts) so you would want to install a house generator with a transfer switch. The generator plus transfer switch is around $1k total. You can wire it up yourself, it isn't hard. Just make sure you turn off the main breaker when installing, and don't touch the main terminals. This is a much more useful solution than a custom battery lighting setup, because you can remain comfortable through-out the house while the power is off.

71msLBsYrJL._SX425_.jpg

Here are some pictures of the one I did. There is an external outlet on the other side of this wall in which you plug the generator into outside.

20211219_190300.jpg

20211220_000202.jpg

20211220_002019.jpg

Or, for a lot cheaper, you can make a 12-awg back-feed cable and plug your generator into your laundry dryer outlet. However you will only energize one of the two phases of your house, and if you forget to turn off your mains while it is running and you injure a lineman, you go to jail.

ktm125

Registered
Thanks for all the suggestions!
My light wire goes thru the ceiling and hard wired in the attic.
Looking for something simple.
How about these that I can stick on an aluminum strip and mount to the light when needed?

Renegade_56

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about these that I can stick on an aluminum strip and mount to the light when needed?

your light wire goes into the ceiling, across to somewhere above the electric panel, and then down to the electric panel, like everything else in your house,

fuggles

I doubt those will be bright enough. I had something like that as a backlight for my tv.

Why not cut the hard wire and splice in a UPS. They are cheap and reliable and you will get your current lights for the table.

ktm125

Registered
I doubt those will be bright enough. I had something like that as a backlight for my tv.

Why not cut the hard wire and splice in a UPS. They are cheap and reliable and you will get your current lights for the table.
Will a UPS run 4-8' fluorescent bulbs for 12 hours?

fuggles

Will a UPS run 4-8' fluorescent bulbs for 12 hours?
It can be done for the right amount of money. You just need to size the UPS for the wattage of your bulbs. 12 hours is a long time. Fluorescents are a bit power hungry. So the battery(s) will be large. Maybe the lights are 100W per bulb, that is about 1 amp each. So 4 amps for 12 hours is ~50AH at 120V. If using 12V batteries that is ~ 5 x 100AH batteries. If you switch to LEDs then you'd need less than 1/10th of this.

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
1710521289690.png

I stuck two of these cheapos onto the light above my pool table during a power outage and there was plenty of light. The have a hook and a magnet. Played for an hour or so til the lights came back on.