A Spliced Splice

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I thought this was interesting so I figured I would share. I found this old full splice snooker cue with a butterfly butt. The weird thing about it is it looks like the bit was spliced onto another spliced cue. So the new points are crossed sing into the other points, but they didn’t line them up to hide them.

My best guess is this is how they repaired a broken cue? Hope you can see it in the pictures.

IMG_8211.jpeg

IMG_8217.jpeg

IMG_8213.jpeg

IMG_8215.jpeg

IMG_8216.jpeg
IMG_8212.jpeg

Greg M

I'd hazard a guess and say repairs, too, but it also could be decorative.

It's unusual, though. I've seen additional wood being spliced onto hand-spliced snooker cues for additional length, but this is the first I'm seeing of a machine-spliced cue with additional splicing.

muskyed

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dumb question as I know nothing about snooker. Why the angled flat on the butt?

Greg M

Dumb question as I know nothing about snooker. Why the angled flat on the butt?
It's a traditional holdover to when maces were used to shunt balls on tables. It's also useful to have a place to feel to orient the cue every time playing a shot, and it's a handy spot for the maker's badge.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Repair would be my guess too but could it have been a tinkerer tinkering...as in intentionally done from scratch?

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
When I first picked it up, I happened to see the longest point and thought it was an 8 pointer. Then I rotated it and saw the rest and how off they were :(
Maybe that was the intension, and it didn't come out well.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's a traditional holdover to when maces were used to shunt balls on tables. It's also useful to have a place to feel to orient the cue every time playing a shot, and it's a handy spot for the maker's badge.
I have yet to see anyone take a one hander. Do they?