Joint pin choice, Radial or 3/8x10?

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
If you were having an inexpensive cue built and you had these two joint options, which would you choose and any specific reason why? I prefer 5/16x14 piloted, but it is not an option. Opinions appreciated. Thx, Shooter08

DeeDeeCues

One is based on concepts learned from a couple hundred years of engineering, the other is the result of some dude thinking a lead screw looked cool.

I'd think the choice would be simple.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
IMO, play the same. Radial, IMO, easier to put together, and 3/8-10 is easier to find or re-sell, but I'd go Radial.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're only going to use the builders shafts then I don't think it matters much, both are good big pin options.

I like radial for the consistency. 3/8x10 comes in lots of different variations it seems and so other shafts may or may not be a solid fit.

DeeDeeCues

So Bill Stroud invented the radial pin just for the hell of it?

He certainly didn't do it based on any good engineering practices. It isn't simpler to invent your own pin, it isn't less expensive, it isn't faster...I can't think of a single reason other than creating a proprietary device to lock people into their product.

No evidence has ever been provided that any of these stupid thread profiles are any better for anything (other than making money by bilking customers). Many claims have been made, but never supported.

Shooter08

Runde Aficianado
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nobody seems locked in, both joints are prevalent in the market. You should leave your moms basement piddling around with leaded pencils on a hasbro lathe and find some friends. I still haven’t seen a cue you’ve made. Since you only repair your own work, it must be slow. And I thought Justin was possibly going to be block worthy.

DeeDeeCues

Nobody seems locked in, both joints are prevalent in the market. You should leave your moms basement piddling around with leaded pencils on a hasbro lathe and find some friends. I still haven’t seen a cue you’ve made. Since you only repair your own work, it must be slow. And I thought Justin was possibly going to be block worthy.

Funny stuff. My hasbro lathe is a three axis CNC mill with a rotary that I designed, machined, and built. I cut my teeth working for a company that designed machines, jigs, and tooling for all of the major aerospace companies, including NASA.

Why don't you take a radial pin to your local university and talk to some professors of mechanical engineering, see what they say about it? Engineers love a good joke.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll just speak from personal experience - even coming from well respected cue makers- radial pin cues are normally very tight fits —- pin to shaft initially - but they do seem to loosen up quite a bit over time - some to the point where when I have unscrewed my radial pin cues at the end of play - the shaft fit had come a little too loose to my liking during play.
I don’t know why - but I have seen this on some more expensive cues and I was surprised - these were wood threaded shafts no shaft inserts.

sbrownn

Registered
IMO, play the same. Radial, IMO, easier to put together, and 3/8-10 is easier to find or re-sell, but I'd go Radial.
I think radials do not go together as easily and have too much non-thread on the leading part of the pin (more threads the better, I think) vs the 3/8 x 10, which I've used for years. All my butts (4) and shafts (7) are either 3/8 x 10 or 3/8 x 10 modified which makes it nice as they are all interchangeable.