Diamond 9ft Pocket size..

Georgiacue

I found it pretty interesting how much difference it is playing on a diamond table with 1/4 inch pocket difference. Say 4.5 vs 4.75.

Im looking at getting a 9ft diamond but those 4.5 inch pockets are tough on those long shots. I suppose thats how you get better. Anyone get the league cut 4.75 inch pockets vs the 4.5 and regret it.

Flakeandrun

Heck ill never make a ball then lol.
I played on a couple of tables smaller than 4" in Taiwan, and they're absolutely insane. I think 4" is definitely do-able when cut right, and good for competitive play.
Get what is comfortable for you. Especially If you are wanting a table that's fun for you, and friends. If your goal isn't to be drilling yourself and improving, or training for competitive play, then big is no issue at all.

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
why get pockets that take the fun out of the game and ruin it for any family or friends that come over.

if the table is just so you can improve dead eye shooting then get them small. and learning to improve getting the cueball around the table will be frustrating.

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
If you play a lot of straight pool, then go for 4.75". Otherwise, I think 4.5 will do you fine. It's not too hard for rotation games or 8-ball. But it really limits runs for straight.

If you call diamond, I would bet that tell you they sell 4.5" [pro cut] significantly more than bigger pockets.

-td

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played on League Cut 7' Red Label Diamonds about 12 years ago at my local pool hall at the time. I liked them a lot better than the Pro Cut Diamond pockets.

Diamond pockets also have a more severe mouth angle, and a deeper shelf. All these factors also make the balls hang up, compared to a more traditional pocket a found on a Gold Crown.

I really think Diamond went the wrong way with these tighter pockets and deeper shelves as "standard". But that's where we are today.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played on a couple of tables smaller than 4" in Taiwan, and they're absolutely insane. I think 4" is definitely do-able when cut right, and good for competitive play.
Get what is comfortable for you. Especially If you are wanting a table that's fun for you, and friends. If your goal isn't to be drilling yourself and improving, or training for competitive play, then big is no issue at all.
4" pockets are good for two things: pros and 1pocket.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played on League Cut 7' Red Label Diamonds about 12 years ago at my local pool hall at the time. I liked them a lot better than the Pro Cut Diamond pockets.

Diamond pockets also have a more severe mouth angle, and a deeper shelf. All these factors also make the balls hang up, compared to a more traditional pocket a found on a Gold Crown.

I really think Diamond went the wrong way with these tighter pockets and deeper shelves as "standard". But that's where we are today.
You have the WORST case of DTS(DiamondTableSyndrom) in history. You really need to seek professional help. 20yrs of bitchin'. Give it a rest bro.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a 9’ Diamond Paragon, which I think is currently their Flagship model.

I ordered it from Heath Manning. He asked if I was sure I wanted the 4.75” pockets. I confirmed that’s what I wanted. It had been 20-25 years since I’d been in a real pool room and played on 9’ pro tables.

He had me confirm once again about halfway through the waiting period. And, just before finalizing the table, Diamond called to be sure that was correct. So, for that model anyway, I think people order 4.5” or tighter.

I think the table plays great! I measure the pockets at 4.625”, though.

IMG_0447.jpeg

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You have the WORST case of DTS(DiamondTableSyndrom) in history. You really need to seek professional help. 20yrs of bitchin'. Give it a rest bro.
There have only been 3 “issues” with Diamond. The shelf, the black marks, and the rails. The black marks are mostly gone thanks to Barton. The shelf I can live with. It’s not my preference but it’s ok. The rails are the only one that I go on and on about as a flat out problem.

The pockets in general, not only Diamond, I feel should have stayed at 5”. Just a few tables near the counter for the one hole players are fine to be tightener. But not all 25 tables in a pool room. IMO.

Georgiacue

Well i want to improve for sure. I keep going to the pool hall playing on the 4.5 9ft diamonds just to get familiar with them. The tables i play with during tap i believe are 4.75. My current table is a 8ft cheapie with 5 inch pockets which is too big. I have no doubt diamond sells more 4.5s. I just couldnt believe the difference a 1/4 inch made.

I wonder if i went with 4.75s and after a year or 2 how much it would cost to go to 4.5 inch pockets. Ie change out the rails or do them shim them??

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How do you get rid of the black marks on an older 7' Blue Label?
They changed the dying process with Barton’s help about 7-10 years ago. Idk what you can do after the fact now if you have one before then.

I’ve heard of wiping them down with alcohol (or other stuff) on these forums over the years, but it’s always a temporary solution.

Georgiacue

I have a 9’ Diamond Paragon, which I think is currently their Flagship model.

I ordered it from Heath Manning. He asked if I was sure I wanted the 4.75” pockets. I confirmed that’s what I wanted. It had been 20-25 years since I’d been in a real pool room and played on 9’ pro tables.

He had me confirm once again about halfway through the waiting period. And, just before finalizing the table, Diamond called to be sure that was correct. So, for that model anyway, I think people order 4.5” or tighter.

I think the table plays great! I measure the pockets at 4.625”, though.

View attachment 755188
Thats interesting. The 4.75s i played on today i took a pic. Its got s small gap between the balls. About a 1/4 inch gap. Seems your shelf is a hair shorter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240424_213841_Reduce Photo Size.jpg
    Screenshot_20240424_213841_Reduce Photo Size.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 36

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I found it pretty interesting how much difference it is playing on a diamond table with 1/4 inch pocket difference. Say 4.5 vs 4.75.

Im looking at getting a 9ft diamond but those 4.5 inch pockets are tough on those long shots. I suppose thats how you get better. Anyone get the league cut 4.75 inch pockets vs the 4.5 and regret it.
Personally I like the special order 4 1/4 corners. The 4 1/8 are a bit too tight🤣

Smutzc

I was in almost the exact same situation your in a couple years ago when I was ordering my 10’ table from Diamond. Especially since the table was going to be a 10 footer. I went back and forth between pro cut, or league cut. I eventually went with the 4.5 pro cut. I have had some days when I cuss the table out when I rattle balls. But it sure feels good when you run a rack on the table. Challenge yourself, get the 4.5 ! lol