Cue Order

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I called and ordered a cue from Al Romero today and it was rather interesting so I thought I'd share. I call him up and say I want to order a plain Sneaky, he asked me what length and I say 58 inches, he says okay. I tell him I want a 13mm shaft and he says okay.Then he asks what weight and I say 19, "that's too heavy, you wont be able to draw the ball' he says. Okay lets do 18 then, good he replies. Then he tells me the joint collars will be brown with rings, I say I would prefer a wood to wood joint "no the wood to wood joints will stick, I can do the brown collar on just the butt if you want?" says Al, no just do collars on both I reply. After that he asks if I would like a 3/8 x 10 joint or a 5/16 x 18 joint, I say 3/8 x 10. "the 3/8 x 10 will wear out the threads, the 5/16 x 18 is better" says AL, okay lets do the 5/16 x 18 I reply. " the cue will come with an extension for no extra charge, you can't win today without an extension" says Al, I say thanks and did not dare ask what length it would be. I ask him what tip he will put on the cue " I do elk master or Le pro tips, the new elk master tips are too hard, they are putting in a hardener that I don't like, the Le pro is the best tip you can get today" says AL, lets do a Le pro tip I reply. We then discussed price and payment which I thought he gave me a good deal on. I am not upset at all with how it went, I oftentimes prefer to go with the specs that the cuemaker recommends, I just thought the conversation was funny.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Basically a cue maker that says let me make the cue my way which does not mean it is the best way for the cue’s owner.
With his approach, he can just make a bunch of SP cues so he has a supply on hand. You either buy his cue or don’t..

He must be successful or no one would indulge his approach. It’s my money, my cue and it’s made my way or not.
That’s my approach and I’m happy with my cue specs. BTW, lots of people draw the cue ball using a heavier cue.

This is not a knock on Al’s cue making. He’s been successfully making SP cues a long time. His bedside approach
needs improvement but he’s not inclined to change at this point and likely doesn’t have any incentive or reason to.

dendweller

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Some cue makers will do what you want, some have an opinion. I think all his opinions have some merit, and I use 3/8 10.

Far as the collar, he's not the only one that thinks you need a phenolic collar, never heard the sticking part though. Most of my cues are wood to wood, the threads do loosen up over time but I've never had one stick.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, I agree, everything the cue maker said sounds reasonable. I also think he's actually going to build the cue, not pull one out of the closet.

The only thing that was weird to me is 5/16-18 instead of 5/16-14. I haven't heard of hardly anyone other than Mecci these days using 5/16-18. Maybe Ginacue does too, I forgot.

claymont

JADE
Gold Member
Silver Member
I called and ordered a cue from Al Romero today and it was rather interesting so I thought I'd share. I call him up and say I want to order a plain Sneaky, he asked me what length and I say 58 inches, he says okay. I tell him I want a 13mm shaft and he says okay.Then he asks what weight and I say 19, "that's too heavy, you wont be able to draw the ball' he says. Okay lets do 18 then, good he replies. Then he tells me the joint collars will be brown with rings, I say I would prefer a wood to wood joint "no the wood to wood joints will stick, I can do the brown collar on just the butt if you want?" says Al, no just do collars on both I reply. After that he asks if I would like a 3/8 x 10 joint or a 5/16 x 18 joint, I say 3/8 x 10. "the 3/8 x 10 will wear out the threads, the 5/16 x 18 is better" says AL, okay lets do the 5/16 x 18 I reply. " the cue will come with an extension for no extra charge, you can't win today without an extension" says Al, I say thanks and did not dare ask what length it would be. I ask him what tip he will put on the cue " I do elk master or Le pro tips, the new elk master tips are too hard, they are putting in a hardener that I don't like, the Le pro is the best tip you can get today" says AL, lets do a Le pro tip I reply. We then discussed price and payment which I thought he gave me a good deal on. I am not upset at all with how it went, I oftentimes prefer to go with the specs that the cuemaker recommends, I just thought the conversation was funny.
Did you get to choose what wood would be in the butt?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First order? This kind of commerce is all special order. Sellers have to keep it dry; keep the deal from turning.

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why did you choose Al Romero to order a not so custom cue? 19 is too heavy? lol
I like the cuemaker to make recommendations on cosmetic details but specs like weight, joint, tip, length are the reason you are ordering a custom.

Willowbrook Wolfy

Going pro
Gold Member
?

Attachments

• IMG_4487.png
    IMG_4487.png
    226 KB · Views: 98

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What’s controversial about his ideas?
Seriously?? Let’s start with the fact that he said a 19 ounce cue is too heavy for a draw shot. Let’s add that he said a 3/8 10 joint is no good - it will wear out! I’ll also add that he said wood to wood joints stick together? Need I say more or maybe you actually believe all of this - or else- why would you ask me this ridiculous question?

shooter_Hans

Seriously?? Let’s start with the fact that he said a 19 ounce cue is too heavy for a draw shot. Let’s add that he said a 3/8 10 joint is no good - it will wear out! I’ll also add that he said wood to wood joints stick together? Need I say more or maybe you actually believe all of this - or else- why would you ask me this ridiculous question?
Well to be fair the cue maker is just saying those things because he has a cue ready for sale that doesn’t have those characteristics. Lol

Last edited: