Cue Order

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
I called and ordered a cue from Al Romero today and it was rather interesting so I thought I'd share. I call him up and say I want to order a plain Sneaky, he asked me what length and I say 58 inches, he says okay. I tell him I want a 13mm shaft and he says okay.Then he asks what weight and I say 19, "that's too heavy, you wont be able to draw the ball' he says. Okay lets do 18 then, good he replies. Then he tells me the joint collars will be brown with rings, I say I would prefer a wood to wood joint "no the wood to wood joints will stick, I can do the brown collar on just the butt if you want?" says Al, no just do collars on both I reply. After that he asks if I would like a 3/8 x 10 joint or a 5/16 x 18 joint, I say 3/8 x 10. "the 3/8 x 10 will wear out the threads, the 5/16 x 18 is better" says AL, okay lets do the 5/16 x 18 I reply. " the cue will come with an extension for no extra charge, you can't win today without an extension" says Al, I say thanks and did not dare ask what length it would be. I ask him what tip he will put on the cue " I do elk master or Le pro tips, the new elk master tips are too hard, they are putting in a hardener that I don't like, the Le pro is the best tip you can get today" says AL, lets do a Le pro tip I reply. We then discussed price and payment which I thought he gave me a good deal on. I am not upset at all with how it went, I oftentimes prefer to go with the specs that the cuemaker recommends, I just thought the conversation was funny.

A lot of that is based on dipshits breaking cues

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
I called and ordered a cue from Al Romero today and it was rather interesting so I thought I'd share. I call him up and say I want to order a plain Sneaky, he asked me what length and I say 58 inches, he says okay. I tell him I want a 13mm shaft and he says okay.Then he asks what weight and I say 19, "that's too heavy, you wont be able to draw the ball' he says. Okay lets do 18 then, good he replies. Then he tells me the joint collars will be brown with rings, I say I would prefer a wood to wood joint "no the wood to wood joints will stick, I can do the brown collar on just the butt if you want?" says Al, no just do collars on both I reply. After that he asks if I would like a 3/8 x 10 joint or a 5/16 x 18 joint, I say 3/8 x 10. "the 3/8 x 10 will wear out the threads, the 5/16 x 18 is better" says AL, okay lets do the 5/16 x 18 I reply. " the cue will come with an extension for no extra charge, you can't win today without an extension" says Al, I say thanks and did not dare ask what length it would be. I ask him what tip he will put on the cue " I do elk master or Le pro tips, the new elk master tips are too hard, they are putting in a hardener that I don't like, the Le pro is the best tip you can get today" says AL, lets do a Le pro tip I reply. We then discussed price and payment which I thought he gave me a good deal on. I am not upset at all with how it went, I oftentimes prefer to go with the specs that the cuemaker recommends, I just thought the conversation was funny.
Did he end the conversation with, "Your cue is done. It ships tomorrow."

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
Seriously?? Let’s start with the fact that he said a 19 ounce cue is too heavy for a draw shot. Let’s add that he said a 3/8 10 joint is no good - it will wear out! I’ll also add that he said wood to wood joints stick together? Need I say more or maybe you actually believe all of this - or else- why would you ask me this ridiculous question?
Perhaps the way he phrased it wasn’t precise but it’s a fact that a lighter cue makes for a livelier cue ball and a slower object ball and a heavier cue makes for a more lethargic cue ball and a faster moving object ball. Whether a 3/8x10 joint is “no good” is speculative but instances of 3/8x10 shafts threads becoming worn over time and loose have happened. As mentioned by another poster, there are more than a few cue makers that recommend phenolic collars to prevent sticking. Everyone has their own experiences and I’m sure Al’s experiences as a player as well as a maker play into his positions on these matters. Is he right? Depends on who you talk to, but at the end of the day all cue makers have their idea of what makes a good cue which is why there are numerous makers and players that are fond of different makers. If a maker won’t budge to accommodate a buyer, the buyer always has a choice to go elsewhere. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He quoted me a couple months for completion. I don't believe he has one already built, although I'm sure some of you were joking about that. I just think he's an older cuemaker who has strong beliefs about cue construction. I'm sure if I was persistent he would have made the cue to different specs, but I was open to suggestions.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I also summarized the conversation a bit. When I requested it to be 19oz he did say that is too heavy and it would be hard to draw the ball. He suggested I get something lighter and I asked if he could get it close to 19. He replied that he would need to find some heavier wood and may have to make it a 2 piece butt to achieve that weight. I guess he doesn't use weight bolts for his cues, because of that I agreed to make it 18oz.

Stew boo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't tell if this is serious. Please explain if it is?
I'm not sure if there's any real science behind it, I have heard people say that before. My theory is that a lighter cue makes it easier to have more wrist action, and a good wrist snap will make the cue ball spin more. I'm sure there's plenty of threads on this site that discuss the topic

Jimmorrison

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm not sure if there's any real science behind it, I have heard people say that before. My theory is that a lighter cue makes it easier to have more wrist action, and a good wrist snap will make the cue ball spin more. I'm sure there's plenty of threads on this site that discuss the topic
I’m not knocking one damn thing you did. If it were me having the conversation, it would have gone exactly the same. I’m not telling Al Romero how to make a cue.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Perhaps the way he phrased it wasn’t precise but it’s a fact that a lighter cue makes for a livelier cue ball and a slower object ball and a heavier cue makes for a more lethargic cue ball and a faster moving object ball. Whether a 3/8x10 joint is “no good” is speculative but instances of 3/8x10 shafts threads becoming worn over time and loose have happened. As mentioned by another poster, there are more than a few cue makers that recommend phenolic collars to prevent sticking. Everyone has their own experiences and I’m sure Al’s experiences as a player as well as a maker play into his positions on these matters. Is he right? Depends on who you talk to, but at the end of the day all cue makers have their idea of what makes a good cue which is why there are numerous makers and players that are fond of different makers. If a maker won’t budge to accommodate a buyer, the buyer always has a choice to go elsewhere. 🤷🏻‍♂️

With all due respect to Little Al Romero, if a cue maker told me all of these things then, I personally, would look elsewhere for a cue maker. That’s all I’m saying, to each his own choice of course.

shooter_Hans

Lighter cue for good action and cue ball manipulation such as poking the ball rather than stroking through it. I like to better in the short game like pocketing back to back balls in side pockets. Basically touch shots.

When I use a heavier cue I find it more accurate on long straight shots. If you just stoke it correctly and normal then the cue does the work. It may have a tendency to over play a shape.

Below 19 is light. Above 19 is heavy.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which TOP pro plays with 16-17 oz range? It was in a recent Karl Boyes "what's in your case" video. I forget who.

Edit, and there was another TOP pro karl interview that was at the other end, maybe 22oz. I forgot who that was as well.