BCA League $$

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have some BCA league questions.

I am wondering who controls the league money. Do the players or House.

How much is the weekly entry and how much does the house get

How many weeks do you run.

Are any statements supplied so the players know the current league $$.

Amount of $$ going back to players.

Thanks for the help.

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jason Robichaud said:

Thanks for the help.
Jason,

If you go to PlayBCA.com or americancuesports.org you can print out the league operators manual and get a feel for all of this. The short answer is there is no short answer.:) It depends on the league operator and the players.

As a BCA / ACS league operator (we're dual sanctioned) I can tell you how I run my 8 ball league. We typically run a one play session, where every team plays every other team once so the length of the session depends on how many teams we have. The current session is 16 teams so it's 15 weeks.

Weekly payment is $10 per player that is playing ($40 per team) and $10 of that goes to the house in which we play. The rest goes into the league fund from which I pay for supplies, league management fees (what I pay me for running it and doing the paperwork - $35 or so a week; I''m not planning on getting rich!) trophies and the food and drink for the end of session evening. At the end of the session, I provide all teams with a financial statement that shows where all the money went and how much came in. Payouts are determined by a formula built into the software that I use but typically anyone that finishes in the top 3 gets their money back and we pay every team. We also pay top scorer male and female as well as most break and runs. Last session, we paid almost 60% of what was paid in back to the players. Considering the house takes 25%, I'm pretty proud of that.

I took over this league from the last operator about 4 years ago when he asked me to do so. I went to this kind of system to avoid any "questions" from players that I saw him have to deal with. The results have been very good so far. I have very happy players and their only complaint so far has been that I only offer one night per week. Maybe after I retire.

Hope this helps!

Brian in VA

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Jason Robichaud said:

Thanks for the help.

Full disclosure is what your asking for. Good luck...

Jason Robichaud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I played in a league years ago and it was $12 per week with $2 going to house. The players ran the league with three people elected to manage $$ and statements so the $10 was all pot minus bank fees etc.

I heard the league I am in now (House run) may take in $24000 over the year and payout $12000. it is $14 per week $70 per team 10 team so $700 over 34+ weeks. 23800$ pot. Going to find out today the prize breakdown.

I thought it would be the same prize breakdown as NB and never asked when I joined, but Calgary is way different than NB. I have never been to a city with so many great players and not 1 single room that gives a rats ass about the players. All you hear is walkins, this, walkins that. No money in coffee and water. Before I moved here I had 900 hours of pool at Doolys with rates around $7-$10.50 per hour. That was over 3-4 years of playing.

If I had a choice between finding $100 bill every day at the same place or walking around hoping to find a place with a $1000 bill, I think I would take the $100. Not sure why they don't want the sure money every week. I dont have 10 hours of practice time at any room in 2 years living in Calgary so someone is missing out on $2800-4500 in just table time plus food and those water and coffee.