Front Weighted Cues??? Help

TwoRailDave

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I learned with a cheap cue that had no weight bolt and a heavy stainless joint, making it very forward-weighted...I was able to get crazy amounts of spin with it with less effort and hit farther off center without miscues. Ive now played with a Pechauer for several years, trying everything to re-engineer my stroke, but I just cant get get the same performance. I would play with my old cue, but it just has such a crappy feel...I've tried taking the weight bolt out of my pechauer and adding lead tape to the joint but that too was disappointing. Does anyone have similar experience with forward-weighted cues or any imput? Thanks

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there,

Years back I had a meucci that I had put a stainless joint on. I played well with it. For some reason I switched to another cue. I don't remember why. I played good with that also. I don't know if I played better with the meucci but it deffinitely felt different.

I have a doug patrick cue and that has a stainless steel joint. That feels like my old muecci. Only the shaft is alot firmer.

I had trouble playing with the patrick cue but I think it was mostly because I was trying to use a Morri tip, soft. I was always getting to much spin. Maybe it is like you said because of the weight being up front more.

I'm going to put a triangle on the patrick cue and see what happens. It's a great cue. I just got too much english. I think it was the tip.

Thanks for the post and renewing my thoughts. Geno............

Caromsoft

"Your Break...Big Brain!"
Silver Member
My current cue is front weighted and I like it that way. When I ordered it I requested 19oz. to match the cheap cue I was using at the time and liked the feel of. Unfortunately it arrived at over 20oz. After trying to get used to it I completely removed the weight bolt and liked the feel of that much better, but it was VERY front heavy with the stock shaft. After I added an OB-1 shaft which was lighter I feel that my cue is now perfect for me. Of course it weighs about 17oz. now! :)

genomachino

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi there,

I put the triangle on the patrick cue and it plays great. It does respond to the english a little more than my old cue but not like it did with the morri soft. That was too much spin.

I'm going to start useing the patrick cue for a while. It feels good.

Thanks for the thread.

Wolven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love front balanced cues. The one in my signature has a balance point at 21 inches.
Seems to make the cue go forward by itself. Although, I don't think it lets me put more spin I do like the feel.

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Let me get this straight. You're considering adding a lead weight to the joint of your cue? How are you going to attach it, with duct tape?
Actually, most cues are front weighted. That is, the balance of the cue is felt forward of the hand when gripped. This is generally determined by the type of pin used in the splice. Either aluminum or steel. Aluminum when a stainless steel joint is used, and steel when the joint is wood to wood.
Viking cues, however, tend to build their cues with the weight towards the rear no matter what type joint is used.
Take a majic-marker and draw some diamonds on the duct tape. It'll kind of dress it up a bit.