Correcting "wrong eye dominance" possible?

8ballsNquarters

Registered
So.. I am left eye dominant, and I play right-handed. I am pretty sure this is severely effecting my game, as I often struggle to know whether I am "on line" when shots get out past about 6 feet, and even if I make these balls, I often hit them slightly too thick or thin.

I never really payed much attention to this aspect of my game, but thinking back, it might be the main reason for inconsistent results.. When I am playing a lot, I naturally correct in whatever way, whether it be tilting my head, or simply I start subconsciously using my right eye, (or both eyes) as both eyes corrected with contacts, I'd say both eyes are of about equal strength.

I did a quick search, and people have mentioned that cross dominance can possibly be corrected by wearing a patch to force use of the nondominant eye at all times. Some people automatically revert to the dominant eye as soon as the patch is removed. Also, wearing an occluded contact in the currently dominant eye has been mentioned.

I'd really like to correct this issue, and I am simply not coordinated enough to switch hands. All this came about because a relative neophyte pool player friend of mine here in Germany mentioned going to an optometrist who happened to be a pool player, who gave him a new contact lense prescription that somehow corrected his cross dominance.

I do realize everyone is different anatomically, and he might have just gotten lucky, but, considering that both my eyes are equally strong, it seems I might have other options.

Any opinions/experiences?

i've been dealing with this recently and figured i'd share my experience. I don't know what eye is dominant but i know that when i'm in line, i can look down the shaft, through the cue ball and into the spot on the object ball. if those things happen, the ball goes in.

it might help you to identify what it feels like to be lined up properly. at the very least, you'll know when you're not lined up and can stand up, reset, and try again. most of the time when i miss a shot, it's because i didn't feel right but still took the shot. i'm trying to be more conscious of what this feels like and my pocketing has gone up significantly since

i've flipped eyes in the past 6 months but what i focus on now is getting my head centered over the cue and looking straight. i found my head was pointing off to the right and i was looking left down the cue. it's possible you have a stance issue, not an eye issue

Matt_24

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For pool, it is not important which eye might be "dominant" or not. What matters is positioning your head consistently in your personal "vision center" position. If you want to find this, check out the videos and articles here:

"vision center" resource page

Proper and consistent "vision center" alignment is the most important fundamental of pool!

Good luck,
Dave

I watched your video, and it's a perfect description of what to do. I've always been opposite eye dominant. Your video describes what those old time champions (and a lot of us) were doing naturally through years of play and natural ability. Kudos!

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
For pool, it is not important which eye might be "dominant" or not. What matters is positioning your head consistently in your personal "vision center" position. If you want to find this, check out the videos and articles here:

"vision center" resource page

Proper and consistent "vision center" alignment is the most important fundamental of pool!
I watched your video, and it's a perfect description of what to do. I've always been opposite eye dominant. Your video describes what those old time champions (and a lot of us) were doing naturally through years of play and natural ability. Kudos!
Thank you. I'm glad you like it.

Regards,
Dave

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. After a lot of consideration, and reading your responses, I have come to the conclusion that I just don't practice enough, mostly due to my weight. My back hurts when I put in hours, so my wife and I are focusing on working out for now, and I am specifically working on strengthening my back/legs with squats and deadlifts.

After all, I played an recent 8 ball match in Frankfurt where I broke and ran 3 racks, and ran out two of my opponent's dry breaks, so I guess my alignment can't be terrible.

I then had another match Saturday on very slow tables, and noted that, not having the option of "easing" balls into the pockets, I was having to pay more attention to the aim line, and delivering the cue straight... And having only partial success. The main takeaway from this session is that my stroke was not that powerful, and this was what was causing inaccurate hits, not my eye position.

I usually address this with some form of bottle training, but with my back pain, I just haven't been doing it. To be clear, I don't have any issues at all with my back besides the muscle fatigue from the hanging belly, so I am trying to address that.

Thanks for your feedback.

I wish you best of luck with this.

Since I started playing again after a 10 year layoff I have experimented with eye position. I finally settled on having the cue directly under my chin because that's the most repeatable place to put the cue and then everything looks the same. I know dominance is different etc...

But...once I did that my pocketing shot up I think just because of the consistent viewpoint.

Also, I agree with your assessment about the straight stroke. Whenever I start missing more than I think I should I go back to focusing on straight stroke and center CB. That usually clears it up until I start to 'drift' again.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
To help your back
If. Your doctor says it’s ok
In addition to the exercise you are doing and trying to
lose weight
Add core exercises to your routine
Your back will thank you...:):)

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
To help your back
If. Your doctor says it’s ok
In addition to the exercise you are doing and trying to
lose weight
Add core exercises to your routine
Your back will thank you...:):)

I am following the Stronglifts 5x5 program, which incorporates deadlifts every other day I lift... Lost a waist size or two so far, and back down to fitting in at least a few XL shirts, so looking good so far..