Photos of unknown table. Any help identifying?

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
According to the owners who are selling before they move, a table mechanic disassembled this table. They forgot what the mechanic said about the table's brand and model. And they don't remember any name plate. When I went to see it, most of it was wrapped up in bubble wrap, and I just couldn't unwrap everything to fully inspect all the parts. I unwrapped one rail which seemed to be in nice condition. All bolts are separately packaged and labeled, and the cloth is rolled up and seems to be in decent condition. The cushion seemed firm but has a little give when squeezed and seemed firmly attached to the rail.

Even if you can't determine the make of this table, can you tell whether it appears to be of good construction by the photos? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Although I couldn't see all of the slate, it appears to be in nice condition and 1" thick. The owners don't play. They got it from a relative who they say wouldn't have bought anything of low quality.

They're practically giving this away for about $200, but I'd have to rent a truck and transport it myself. I don't know how easy that is or how heavy that slate is. But I'm also considering a Victor "Cleveland" table, which appears to be a solid old table from the '60s from a reputable dealer in my area that could be set up including new Simonis cloth for about $1300. I want to decide in the next couple of days and I would really appreciate your opinions.

Thanks!

IMG_20161119_190001885.jpg

IMG_20161119_190010192.jpg

IMG_20161119_190021347_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161119_190044619.jpg

IMG_20161119_190216642_HDR.jpg

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Last photo

This is the rolled up cloth. There's a hole that's disconcerting, but I don't know if that's something to be expected from a removed cloth that can be reused.

IMG_20161119_190344457.jpg

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, It's a Gandy table. Hard to say which model it is either a Big G, a sportsman or a hustler.

Thank you. Would you say that all three of those Gandys, if they're in good condition, play well and are solidly built?

And would you happen to know how they would compare to a Victor Cleveland?

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Thank you. Would you say that all three of those Gandys, if they're in good condition, play well and are solidly built?

And would you happen to know how they would compare to a Victor Cleveland?

Condition and design determine how the table plays.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm thinking that when all is said and done with new Simonis cloth and set up, the $200 Gandy will actually cost me about $1000 if it doesn't need new rubber.
Comparing that to the $1300 for the old Victor Cleveland table fully set up, I'm wondering which would hold up and play better over the years?

The Gandy is prettier, but if the Victor is a better design I may want to go with that.

Both are ball return tables. The Victor with the Lanza silent returns.

I don't know whether the slate on the Victor is in as good condition as the Gandy, but I assume the dealer wouldn't offer it if it wasn't ok.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm thinking that when all is said and done with new Simonis cloth and set up, the $200 Gandy will actually cost me about $1000 if it doesn't need new rubber.
Comparing that to the $1300 for the old Victor Cleveland table fully set up, I'm wondering which would hold up and play better over the years?

The Gandy is prettier, but if the Victor is a better design I may want to go with that.

Both are ball return tables. The Victor with the Lanza silent returns.

I don't know whether the slate on the Victor is in as good condition as the Gandy, but I assume the dealer wouldn't offer it if it wasn't ok.

Thoughts?

I don't know anything about the Victor pool table, but they're both no longer in production so that in its self says something about being able to keep up with the competition.

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Or is the Big G supposed to have only one center support? Maybe the Big G LTD has two outer supports?

realkingcobra

Silver Member

Colormegone2002

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree that Glen know what it is. He's THE man and plus IT IS identical to

my Gandy Big G. Plan on the cushions to very possibly need changed

CueAndMe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Plan on the cushions to very possibly need changed

Yes. I felt them and they had a little give when pressed, but they weren't soft. I figure I'll change them out for the Artemis cushions if they need changing.

By the way, does anyone have any ideas what kind of felt that is in my original pictures? Does it look like standard cloth with a nap?