Rules question?

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matt, have you ever played in an APA regional or higher event?

To be sure, from time to time, like in any other event judgement mistakes will be made,

good hit/bad hit, rail/no rail, in front of the line/ behind the line, and so on, but this rule

the OP is calling into question is in black and white, and granted it could cause some

confusion to someone not familiar with the rule, but when that confusion occurs in an

APA event, the referee is to call an APA floor supervisor someone who is paid to be

familiar with the rules in the book and with access to the APA situational rule

application book. You don't need Michaela Tabb, or John Lehman for this rule.

Keep in mind my statement was general about the things that can happen any time a referee is involved and not just APA. I’m just saying it can happen where a ref may be called over to rule on a scenario like this. If I understand correctly, the floor supervisor is only involved if the refs ruling is challenged. And even if the APA is a better structured for catching these mistakes, a lot of other non-APA or smaller events aren’t necessarily similarly structured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kevoka

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would agree, but usually a couple of times back and forth is usually the standard just
to make sure. Personally I can say that there are times after a couple of looks that I
might see something I didn't see the first or second time we handed the balls over,
and as a referee you would check with both players just to ask if they are sure. It
might take an extra minute or two, but no big deal

I agree with this double check. Even in a APA regular game (not a tournament). I have only been in the situation once where it could have ended in a stalemate. It did not as I decided there was a play after all.

Big mistake on my part as the bar table roll off killed me (I had not mapped out this particular table before hand).

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Keep in mind my statement was general about the things that can happen any time a referee is involved and not just APA. I’m just saying it can happen where a ref may be called over to rule on a scenario like this. If I understand correctly, the floor supervisor is only involved if the refs ruling is challenged. And even if the APA is a better structured for catching these mistakes, a lot of other non-APA or smaller events aren’t necessarily similarly structured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They would call a floor manager if a call was challenged, also if a referee had a ruling
question, if a referee needed to pee, or any other number of circumstances.
I don't know if the APA is better structured, but it seems to work out for most people that
participate, and the big national events are really remarkably well run. You have the same
issues that might have with any other 10,000 person event but it really goes pretty well.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
I agree with this double check. Even in a APA regular game (not a tournament). I have only been in the situation once where it could have ended in a stalemate. It did not as I decided there was a play after all.

Big mistake on my part as the bar table roll off killed me (I had not mapped out this particular table before hand).

Yes, that Valley roll will absolutely kill you

SamShaddey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ya this was a messed up situation all together. It was explained to me that if my player the player getting ball in hand could give the ball back saying stale mate but then the other player had opertunedy to shoot playing safe. And winning the match! I just don't see how you can reward someone for play this way.

Ps. Thanks for all your responces.