If I dislike gloves and powder, what can I use

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I mock those who I know that use gloves. That said, it's only because we enjoy mocking each other. Truth be told, imo, I think using a glove is the smartest idea if you need need one. Powder seems to be a good method to build up crap on your cue.

I personally just keep my hands clean and wipe my cue down with a damp (water only) golf towel. I do use an open bridge 95% of the time, and refuse to play in humid conditions. If it's hot/humid enough to sweat. Then it's too irritating to play pool anyway.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I mock those who I know that use gloves. That said, it's only because we enjoy mocking each other. Truth be told, imo, I think using a glove is the smartest idea if you need need one. Powder seems to be a good method to build up crap on your cue.

I personally just keep my hands clean and wipe my cue down with a damp (water only) golf towel. I do use an open bridge 95% of the time, and refuse to play in humid conditions. If it's hot/humid enough to sweat. Then it's too irritating to play pool anyway.

Wearing a glove is probably a good idea. If you keep your glove clean I would guess it also helps to keep your cue clean.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I got a friend from Johnstown NY....worked in metal...his bridge was like yours...
...but he wore a thin wool glove on his stroking hand..so he didn’t have to squeeze the butt.

I often slide my butt in my rear hand while practice stroking until Im comfortable with where it is on the cue for a particular shot.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi, first-time post, been lurking for a while.

Today as I'm using powder it suddenly hit me, that I really don't like it, there are many things that I dislike about powder, it makes the table dirty first of all, it also has a smell that I dislike too, not the perfume itself but the powdery smell I guess.

Then also I really really hate gloves, I can't play well with them, so what are my other options guys? any recommendations of other options that are available.

I use wood shafts btw, and please don't tell me to wash your hands and wipe your shaft, please :) I need an alternative product that makes my shaft not make that squeezing sound as I'm using my closed bridge.

I looked at serybert, do products like cue silk miracle shaft work? and can I use them before every set or does that harm my shaft?

I'd try some gloves, the cleaning and smoothing products are not made to be use all the time on the shaft. If you have a humid and/or dirty pool hall and your closed bridge is tight so the shaft actually gets friction then nothing much past a glove will work for day to day use. I don't like gloves either much, but in some places I still use one and keep a few in my case.

Funny thing about the powder smell, I love it, every time I smell it I get a flood of memories to my early days playing.

smoochie

NotLikeThis
A friend of mine gave me a Johnson but he said its not powder, he says its cornstarch, now do you guys agree that its an ok alternative? the advantage is that it doesnt smell anything like powder.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
A friend of mine gave me a Johnson but he said its not powder, he says its cornstarch, now do you guys agree that its an ok alternative? the advantage is that it doesnt smell anything like powder.

Powder of any kind isn’t cool. Outlawed in many rooms. Should be.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Powder reminds me of brushing tables on Saturday or Sunday mornings after payday -- what a %&#ing mess.

9ball5032

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you dislike gloves and powder I would try all the recommended responses, cue silk, cue wax, burnishing with leather or other items, open bridge, closed bridge, wipe off shaft with towel, keep hands clean and/or dry, etc. Keep a notebook to help remember which worked or if none worked, which one is better than nothing.

Last edited:

misterpoole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When i had sweaty hands i used a product that was a small bag of something that would wick away moisture. I would just hold the bag for a short period when needed. Think it was a pool product but its been awhile. No longer need it and i dont use a glove or carbon shaft.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use powder - corn starch not talc. Put some powder in a tray. Use the back of your grip hand to rub in the powder and then transfer that to your bridge hand and shaft of the cue.

I rarely get any powder on the table. In a match my opponent doesn't even know I'm using powder unless he sees me put the powder on my hand because there is none on the table.

Unless you are very sloppy in your personal habits powder shouldn't be a problem.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
In line with where we are these days, hand sanitizer dries my hands out quite well...