Need advice/thoughts on room size

adrianp

Registered
So I'm having a hard time figuring out how to get a pool table in my home. I'm not opposed to making modifications to the room, but I'm trying to hold off if I can. I started off big, looking at removing walls, but between the beam work (load bearing), floor repair (splicing in oak flooring and matching), drywall, finishing work, columns, electrical, rerouting water pipes, etc... the estimate was ridiculously expensive. I'd rather renovate my kitchen. All this was to try and get a 9' table in. So now I'm moving down a bit and seeing if I can make an 8' table work. I've attached a diagram showing the room dimensions and distances from the walls to the edge of the playing surface/rails.

If I have to make changes to the room, then I'd probably be ok with removing the closet in the corner and possibly adding a french door on the south wall. As far as my priorities, I'd like to work on drills primarily, but of course playing with others, but if I had to occasionally switch to a shorter cue, I'd be ok with that, just depends on how often I'd most likely need to.

So I'd like some advice/thoughts on how this looks.

Thanks,
Adrian

Attachments

• room-layout.jpg
    room-layout.jpg
    161.9 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Looking Like you'll be using a short cue no matter what, regularly

I'd lose the closet if I could

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
If I remember tmrw I will draw this out in CAD, and see if it's not better with the table at a 45degree angle

adrianp

Registered
Looking Like you'll be using a short cue no matter what, regularly

I'd lose the closet if I could

While I haven't really kept track of how many on the rail shots I run across (I'll probably start to though), I can't imagine them happening that often, especially having to shoot perpendicular to the table. That's pretty much worse case scenario.

As for the closest, that renovation probably isn't so bad compared to taking down the two walls and putting in beams and a column (30K on the high end)

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
48 inches from rail to wall
Even 5 inches away of your using a standard 58inch cue your going to be using a short cue alot on the long end of the table

Even with my traditional 54 inch billiard cue at 5 inches from the rail would give me problems hitting the wall

adrianp

Registered
48 inches from rail to wall
Even 5 inches away of your using a standard 58inch cue your going to be using a short cue alot on the long end of the table

Even with my traditional 54 inch billiard cue at 5 inches from the rail would give me problems hitting the wall

So the north side of the house is an exterior wall, but the south side is an interior wall. What if I put in something like french doors that are 72" wide and then move the table a bit south towards the french doors? And yes, that closet is getting removed as well.

What are your thoughts on the side side being 61"? I know that only leaves 3", but maybe I can get a slightly shorter cue if it becomes an issue.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

Silver Member
So the north side of the house is an exterior wall, but the south side is an interior wall. What if I put in something like french doors that are 72" wide and then move the table a bit south towards the french doors? And yes, that closet is getting removed as well.

What are your thoughts on the side side being 61"? I know that only leaves 3", but maybe I can get a slightly shorter cue if it becomes an issue.

You won't have issues with the 61inch side

Good plan on the French doors, just take into consideration the climate, and how often you'll be opening those doors

And I drew it out at an angle, only got worse so forget that

adrianp

Registered
You won't have issues with the 61inch side

Good plan on the French doors, just take into consideration the climate, and how often you'll be opening those doors

And I drew it out at an angle, only got worse so forget that

Well the french doors would be leading into the family room, so it's an interior french door, climate won't be an issue :)

Thanks again for taking the time to help me review my plan,

Adrian

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Room config

Hi there

I'd think I'd go with 60" French doors centered on the south interior wall and remove the closet. I'd move the table 60" off the north wall. Have the French doors open into the other room. You'd be able to make almost any shot with a 58-60" cue. Table won't be centered in room but the French doors may give the appearance of a larger room. May not be awkward if you have a light centered over table

Otherwise, if all you do is remove closet, the short stick will really get under your skin and likely wish you put a 7' table

Good luck

Dave

dvs

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Room config

Hi there

I'd think I'd go with 60" French doors centered on the south interior wall and remove the closet. I'd move the table 60" off the north wall. Have the French doors open into the other room. You'd be able to make almost any shot with a 58-60" cue. Table won't be centered in room but the French doors may give the appearance of a larger room. May not be awkward if you have a light centered over table

Otherwise, if all you do is remove closet, the short stick will really get under your skin and likely wish you put a 7' table

Good luck

Dave

adrianp

Registered
Hi there

I'd think I'd go with 60" French doors centered on the south interior wall and remove the closet. I'd move the table 60" off the north wall. Have the French doors open into the other room.

Hey Dave, thanks for the input. The doors I've looked into are actually 72" wide so should be even better. I'm assuming you meant "move the table 6" off the north wall", not 60" :) And yea, I'm looking at doing both, removing the closet and adding the french doors.