there are cue balls and then there are cue balls

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
wanting to purchase a cue ball as the ones in the local pool hall are rather abused. looking at the measles ball but then there is the super aramith "pro cup". prices certainly vary from $10 to $35. is this hype or something better? I play from 9 ball to straight pool, what do you recommend? would consider anything, red dot, new aramith red dot or the aforementioned. any ideas? why the big price difference?

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
measles ball

wanting to purchase a cue ball as the ones in the local pool hall are rather abused. looking at the measles ball but then there is the super aramith "pro cup". prices certainly vary from $10 to $35. is this hype or something better? I play from 9 ball to straight pool, what do you recommend? would consider anything, red dot, new aramith red dot or the aforementioned. any ideas? why the big price difference?

One price difference, I think the measles ball has an extra coating on it, clear. It marks up when used to break the last I knew. More importantly, it rolled long compared to the red circle, I believe it was, balls at the hall I played at. This was the pricey measles ball at the time, I think I bought it for $26 or $29 dollars from Joe Rack'm or Seyberts.

I recommend you get the same cue ball(s) you regularly play with. Just a nice new cue ball will play better and you won't lose that little bit of tune that you lose swapping between completely different cue balls.

More than anything else demand determines the price of a cue ball other than the specialty balls which can cost more to make. The very cheapest replacement cue balls from somewhere for three dollars or so tend to not stay round even if they start life that way. Once they have any recognizable name on them I don't think you will notice much difference in quality.

Hu

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Ralph! I think the real problem is the set of balls (at least at MBC). Especially for playing 14.1 What I mean is they are all old and mismatched. And the cue ball is worn so it is lighter than the object balls. This makes it tough to get any good ball spread on break outs.

I have a measle ball that I like to play straights with. Some of the guys will, some won't. FOr 9-Ball, the worn (lighter) house red circle balls move easier around the big tracks with worn cloth.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
a good point!

Hey Ralph! I think the real problem is the set of balls (at least at MBC). Especially for playing 14.1 What I mean is they are all old and mismatched. And the cue ball is worn so it is lighter than the object balls. This makes it tough to get any good ball spread on break outs.

I have a measle ball that I like to play straights with. Some of the guys will, some won't. FOr 9-Ball, the worn (lighter) house red circle balls move easier around the big tracks with worn cloth.

Balls are weight balanced by the set so even if they are the same "make and model" they don't match between sets. Cleaning and just handling and mishandling at a pool hall over time tends to get sets of balls mismatched even if the difference in design isn't obvious. I bought a midrange set of balls and noticed that they played substantially better than the "house" balls. Not necessarily because they were better quality but because they were a matched set. Being able to wipe them down between days playing helped too. Nice to not ever play with a dirty set of pool balls.

Oldplayer, if it isn't a big deal you might consider buying a whole set of balls instead of just the cue ball. I think you will be happy you did.

Hu

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Also - this may help. Aramith chart that shows which CB comes with each set.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 761

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks so much for the info.....may just buy a set....aramith pro or Cyclops then
hope all is going well rob! :thumbup:

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks so much for the info.....may just buy a set....aramith pro or Cyclops then
hope all is going well rob! :thumbup:

Be careful of the Cyclops cue ball there were problems at the CSI tournament
with them being lopsided, heavy on the logo side and rolling off.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The price difference is that one is the real Aramith measels and the other is a knock off. I think the real ones new are in upper 20s range for price.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The price difference is that one is the real Aramith measels and the other is a knock off. I think the real ones new are in upper 20s range for price.
I own a set of Centennials for my home table, I bought a "quality" measels cue ball, it is lighter than the Centnnial cue ball. I recommend only buying a full new set of balls with a matching cue in weight and size or your game will not be correct.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of my measles cue balls I now own weigh 168-169 grams ( 3 balls) and I've also sold 3 measles cue balls that also were the very same weights.
My Centennial set of pool balls weigh 168 grams......sounds like you got a bad cue ball......the Aramith measles ball hasn't had any quality issues that
I've ever encountered and obviously, the same applies to the Centennial series Aramith makes.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
I use the Super Aramith Pro Cup ("measles") cue ball more than anything, but the red circle doesn't bother me. I don't like that black logo cue ball that comes with the tournament sets though.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was going to get a measles ball but went with the red logo Aramith ball. Same as the measles ball (super aramith pro), but half the price. If you are practicing for a tournament, try to find out what cue ball they will be using. If its a steel core mud ball, then buy one and play with it at home. One week before the tournament should do it.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
All of my measles cue balls I now own weigh 168-169 grams ( 3 balls) and I've also sold 3 measles cue balls that also were the very same weights.

My Centennial set of pool balls weigh 168 grams......sounds like you got a bad cue ball......the Aramith measles ball hasn't had any quality issues that

I've ever encountered and obviously, the same applies to the Centennial series Aramith makes.

Spot on. My Aramith Measles CB - 168.4 grams.

RobMan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I bought a set, I would probably use the CB that came with that set. I have played with the tournament set and like them, CB included. Not sure why the other poster did not like that CB.

I bought the measles to have a good CB to use when playing with the sets at the hall.

Baxter

Out To Win
Silver Member
If I bought a set, I would probably use the CB that came with that set. I have played with the tournament set and like them, CB included. Not sure why the other poster did not like that CB.

I bought the measles to have a good CB to use when playing with the sets at the hall.

Played a little heavy to me. Not saying it weighs more, just plays heavy to me. I've only used it a handful of times.

itsfroze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
so, of all the cue balls it is the aramith measles then? what was the difference in the "black logo" that came with the tournament set?

I think the Blk logo cue ball and that set of balls is made from a different material
which is new, called Duramith. It's supposed to leave less burn marks on the cloth
making the cloth last longer. But with less friction being created, wouldn't you think
that set of balls would play differently? I really haven't seen them in use a whole lot.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I prefer the measles ball.
I don't like the new cueball that comes with the new Aramith tournament set. It feels unresponsive.