Gold Crown I ... to buy or not to buy

d8nk

Noah B
I have been on the hunt for a table for a while now and have come across a GCI that I am interested in. I would prefer to find one that has already had rail work done but the closest I have found one is quite a ways away and it's a III. I really like the look of a classic GCI and would like to restore it to the original blue aprons like other have done on here.

The good: Rails are near mint on top, formica looks great. The castings are all in great shape, as well as the feet. (non levelers though) Table is assembled but all the bolts and screws look good, not stripped or marred like it's been taken apart a bunch. From what I can see not a ton of staple holes. Ball box is complete and in good shape as well as bezel trim. Legs are decent. Looks to not have been in a hall, probably a private table. Comes with matching original cue rack, missing Brunswick emblem though.

The bad: It's missing the plastic skirts. The aprons are covered in a vinyl fabric, so paint conditions underneath are unknown. Plastic Brunswick nameplate is pretty busted up.

Price: They were asking $1600, I have negotiated down to $1200. I think if I have the rail work done, frame flattening, painting, misc parts and set up properly I will be into this for about $3400+. I can't decide...Should I buy it???

As a reference I am not willing to spend more than that on a Diamond. I love Diamonds, don't get me wrong. I just have a limit on my budget.

Attachments

• 00P0P_c1YwRdWJqFF_1200x900.jpg
    00P0P_c1YwRdWJqFF_1200x900.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 600

d8nk

Noah B
Sounds like a lot of guessing. Do you have quotes for any of said work?

Trent:grin:

Hi Trent, I have quotes for the rail work and set-up with local mechanic Tim Tonjum. I can do the rest of it. I have a full woodshop and access to a spray booth! I would even feel comfortable doing the rails if I had the jigs and had seen it done before but i don't think that part is worth re-inventing the wheel.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member
Hi Trent, I have quotes for the rail work and set-up with local mechanic Tim Tonjum. I can do the rest of it. I have a full woodshop and access to a spray booth! I would even feel comfortable doing the rails if I had the jigs and had seen it done before but i don't think that part is worth re-inventing the wheel.

You never mentioned all of this. I am all for people taking things into their own hands! Sounds like you have everything lined up! I have heard of Tim and I know that he knows what he is doing. GO FOR IT!! Show us pics of your progress :)

Trent

d8nk

Noah B
That can be done but the GC 1 feet were never adjustable.

From the research I've done the later model GCI were adjustable. In any case I will be upgrading that for sure. If I pull the trigger (which I am leaning more and more towards doing)

I will make sure and post the progress on here to share. I have been a long time reader, it's time to post some content to share :)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
From the research I've done the later model GCI were adjustable. In any case I will be upgrading that for sure. If I pull the trigger (which I am leaning more and more towards doing)

I will make sure and post the progress on here to share. I have been a long time reader, it's time to post some content to share :)

IMO, I think $1,200 is too much for the table the way it sits. If it were complete, $1,200 would still be fair but on the higher side. Who knows what you are going to find under the vinyl. Could be good, could be bad.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
d8nk,

If you wait two or three months, you'll find a much better example, for less money, closer to your house, with great cushions and clean cloth, I guarantee it.:D

Trust in Santa! He won't let you down.

d8nk

Noah B
d8nk,

If you wait two or three months, you'll find a much better example, for less money, closer to your house, with great cushions and clean cloth, I guarantee it.:D

Trust in Santa! He won't let you down.

IMO, I think $1,200 is too much for the table the way it sits. If it were complete, $1,200 would still be fair but on the higher side. Who knows what you are going to find under the vinyl. Could be good, could be bad.

I slept on it and woke up feeling the same way. If she would do $800 I would feel more comfortable, but what's true is I would like to start with a complete example if I am restoring. The matching cue rack is cool, but not as important as the skirts in my opinion. I am excited to make this happen but I need to have patience.

The other option I should hold out for is a GC that has already had the work done or is IV or newer. Or someone selling a Diamond for a reasonable price :)

Thanks for your input folks, appreciate it!

d8nk

Noah B
Table was a no-go...

I slept on it and woke up feeling the same way. If she would do $800 I would feel more comfortable, but what's true is I would like to start with a complete example if I am restoring. The matching cue rack is cool, but not as important as the skirts in my opinion. I am excited to make this happen but I need to have patience.

The other option I should hold out for is a GC that has already had the work done or is IV or newer. Or someone selling a Diamond for a reasonable price :)

Thanks for your input folks, appreciate it!

I ended up sticking to my $800 offer and she declined. Ohh well, wasn't meant to be. On to the next one!

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ended up sticking to my $800 offer and she declined. Ohh well, wasn't meant to be. On to the next one!

800 was too much. Don’t worry about it. If it was me I’d be looking for a GC4 or a modified older GC.

trentfromtoledo

8onthebreaktoledo
Silver Member

1. You gotta be happy with your purchase!

I been noticing fewer and fewer GC's for a reasonable price. I generally pay $500-$1000, depending on condition of course. Location is on me, not the seller. I have driven 700 miles to buy a nice GC3. Your willingness to travel for a one time purchase will help you get a table. Don't sleep, if I see a good one: I AM GETTING IN THE VAN AND GOING TO GET IT! ;)

Trent from Toledo

p.s. that Anniversary you posted in the for sale section was a nice one, veneer was wrong on the legs, easy fix. I inspected the photos very closely and I would have tried to talk down the price a little, but, it would have made a nice restoration project. 21 Anniversary's and counting!:thumbup:

d8nk

Noah B
1. You gotta be happy with your purchase!

I been noticing fewer and fewer GC's for a reasonable price. I generally pay $500-$1000, depending on condition of course. Location is on me, not the seller. I have driven 700 miles to buy a nice GC3. Your willingness to travel for a one time purchase will help you get a table. Don't sleep, if I see a good one: I AM GETTING IN THE VAN AND GOING TO GET IT! ;)

Trent from Toledo

p.s. that Anniversary you posted in the for sale section was a nice one, veneer was wrong on the legs, easy fix. I inspected the photos very closely and I would have tried to talk down the price a little, but, it would have made a nice restoration project. 21 Anniversary's and counting!:thumbup:

I am excited to make it happen but willing to wait for the right one. I actually really like the idea of a road trip, it just have to fit in my schedule is the tricky part. I appreciate all the great feedback!

D0N

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Looks like a nice table. How much were they asking, just curious. I ended up finding a 9' Diamond :)

I didnt see it in person but I have a few other pics of it if you'd like to see. The seller was buying a new home that already had a pool table so he was hoping to sell this one in mid december when the closing/s took place.

A few weeks ago we talked price and he was around $1200. As time to move nears, his price may drop. I can give you his contact info if you're interested and are local to atlanta for pickup.