Interesting Antique Butterfly Cue

avscue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting cue...... the catalin collar may indicate wartime but the wrap i think is 1950's possibly Katz because of the veneer colors

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting cue...... the catalin collar may indicate wartime but the wrap i think is 1950's possibly Katz because of the veneer colors

I agree with all of that.

But both Katz and Brunswick sold blanks and parts.

So...who made the cue?

That's the question.

avscue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your guess is as good as mine on who made it. if most of it is stock, i would say it is a 1 off from the factory but who knows. the catalin could have come from someone who had old stock and the phenoic insert looks to be newer stock. just not enough info other than the base build is probably 1950's

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
your guess is as good as mine on who made it. if most of it is stock, i would say it is a 1 off from the factory but who knows. the catalin could have come from someone who had old stock and the phenoic insert looks to be newer stock. just not enough info other than the base build is probably 1950's

Well, as I said, I don't think that insert is actually phenolic but more likely a type of bakelite.

Is catalin the proper term for this collar material? There were very few synthetic plastics at that time, maybe only two? Most are commonly generically referred to as bakelite.

40's to 50's is probably right.

I would say no earlier and no later. I am actually thinking it is late 40's or early 50's.

14 pin? Katz not known for that generally, while Brunswick is. Katz is known for 5/16x12. But that's an awfully long pin, and Brunswick was using short pins by this time. And Brunswick wouldn't likely use a Katz blank. The joint collar does look Brunswick, but they sold parts, and Katz sold lots of blanks. All of that aside from anything regarding the insert.

Jayman said he had one like this, I am still wondering if it had the same insert.

If it did, then the insert could identify the maker here...or at least tell us that there was a maker doing this...I just have to figure out who.

If...maybe...thin evidence...I know....but I love chasing that kind of stuff. :smile:

There were several makers at that time that are rarely discussed. National? Saunier-Wilhem? Victor? Luscher? Katz? Other?