What happens when you play 5 days a week for 30 plus years then stop ?

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm 49 years old, I have been in a pool room for about 85% of my life.
5,6,7 days a week 10-15 hours a day. About 4 to 5 years ago I just woke up one day and said thats it I'm done playing. I don't know what happened I guess I had enough. I started playing so young by the time I was 45 I had at least 30 solid years of playing and being in a pool room.
I was very very lucky to have spent 20 years at country club Billiards in Chelmsford mass. I work there and was very close friends with the owner.
I was one of a select few that had the run of the place. I had keys and could enter the place anytime I wished, Anything in the kitchen I wanted to eat was there , I'm not talking Pizza and frys, Nothing But the best Prime Rib , Sea food and the best you could ask for, Drink any time I wanted , Play all the pool I wanted. I never payed for anything, Thanks to
(David Cunha God rest his soul) Yet I still felt the need to just walk away from from everything..

At first it was easy to not play and be in a pool room, Did some traveling back and forth from the Philippines and Japan. Met a Beautiful filipina, Brought her back here to the U.S got married, I have never been more happy in my life then I am now. But there was still something missing.
For the last few weeks I have been doing a lot of thinking asking myself whats missing from my life. Well last week I woke up and was online drinking my morning coffee and it hit me, I miss playing pool.

I thought long and hard before I desided to pick up a cue and play again.
My first idea was man I have not hit a ball in almost 5 years, To be honest I was scared shit and I dont know why, I think it was because of after not playing for so long I had no confidence in myself or my game. That was the first time in my life that I diden't think I could beat anyone.

Long story short, I just picked up a nice Nova cue and for the records all you guys that said Nova's hit better then the older schons, Man you guys are so right this cue hit sweet. Played for three hours last night . First time in 5 years I think I lost two games of 9ball in 3 hours won evetything else,,,,,,,,,,,,Man did that feel good

I have no point to this story, Just wanted to share my experience with you guys...... My advice is never stop playing,,,,,,,,

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Jt, from the sound of your voice (a little play on words there) I think you're glad to be back, yourself. Am I right?
Well, what the hell were you thinking, running off like that for five damn years. We were worried sick. Not a letter, or a postcard. Hell, some of us thought that you might have been kidnapped by a band of gypsies disguised as an APA league team.
Anyway, I'm glad you're back amongst us. :smile:

smoooothstroke

JerLaw
Silver Member
WB.

Now you can tell everyone how good you used to play as you are running out on them.Just kidding.

I know a guy who took a 30 year break and still plays strong.Also a guy who claims to have gone 20+ years withought hitting a ball,he plays strong too but says he used to play wayyyy better.The latter claims he hates pool but he plays every day lol.

People walk away to have famillies all the time but most of them come back.I hope you find a good ballance where you can enjoy both your familly life and life around the pool room.

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
The Earth changes direction of its rotation...everything implodes. Don't do it!:eek:

Seriously, I started out about 30 years ago, and took a LONG break due to family/job obligations. Went three years straight without hitting a ball, the previous three years I was lucky to hit them once a month. I (like everyone else) like to tell folks and myself that I was a much better player 20 years ago, but if I'm absolutely honest I'm playing my best now...but I can't compete nearly as well as when I was 20 years old. I was fearless and did very well then, now I play much better but fold like a cheap lawn chair under any heat whatsoever!:frown:

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
I walked away from pool in 1997 and didnt start playing again until 2010. For 13 years I didn't hit a ball except for maybe a handful of times when I picked up a cue in a bar and shot a rack or two.

When I returned, I found that it didn't take long to get the feel back and after about 2-3 weeks of solid play, I was considerably better than I was when I quit in 97. I credit that to remembering the fundamentals, but being able to let go of the bad habits that were part of my game when I was younger.

The 13 year layoff was the best thing that ever happened to my game.

Congrats on getting back into pool. Enjoy it!

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jt, from the sound of your voice (a little play on words there) I think you're glad to be back, yourself. Am I right?
Well, what the hell were you thinking, running off like that for five damn years. We were worried sick. Not a letter, or a postcard. Hell, some of us thought that you might have been kidnapped by a band of gypsies disguised as an APA league team.
Anyway, I'm glad you're back amongst us. :smile:

Ok I will agree, Yes I am glad to be back because I did miss playing but I just did not feel like playing. I know that sounds crazy but thats how i felt.
I did miss the game I devoted so much of my life to. I just did not want to do it any more. I will say this, when you spend so much of yourself and your time to pool, You sure do push some things and people aside. Back then I was married and had a son. I do feel guilty in the sence that I could have been home more and spent a lot more time with both of them.
Back then I wanted to be in a pool room every day and night rather then being with my family. A lot of years have passed now, I am devorced from that women now, (Thank God LOL) She was the type that no matter what I did she was never happy.

The good thing now is I am married to a Filipina who is very up to date with Billiards and all the Filipino pool stars, In reality I think she is the real reason I want to play again. She is sooooooooo suportive and wants me to play. Life sure is great when you have a good women. It took me 50 years to learn that. LOL

Thanks for all the replys guys I enjoyed all the comments.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
if you can not hit a ball in 5 years
go in a pool room play for 3 hours " only lose 2 games and win everything else"
i wonder
how good were you when you were in stroke???:eek:
welcome back to the pool world
:smile:

oldplayer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i started playing in '64 and played a few times per week, then in '79 got my own brunswick 9 footer at the house....practice every day for 5 years, then moved and got another brunswick and again practice/play every day....got really good, then left the usa for 7 years and played a couple of times per week only, still played really good though....beat a lot of players thru the carribean and s.america ( got some great stories about that!), than quit playing in '95. started back in 2009 and it just isn't the same as hard as i try...age i guess. i am about 80% of what i was but some days that is just not good enough when i reflect back. some days i think about putting all on ebay but then the next day i go back to the pool hall to fix the problem.....it is all about the love of the game. welcome back to the "community" and hang in there.

MCP

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Miss U.

Greetings. I stopped playing in the mid 70s. The action in NYC was still pretty good some great rooms, Mcgirrs, Time sq. biliards, Julian's, 7-11 etc:
At the time I was 18/19 years old playing almost every day for about 4 years it was a great time nobody I'd you when you got to the room but they weren't serving alcohol just pool.
I remember when i was just starting out say 16 years old the older players would kind of take you under their wing and share their experience and knowledge i dont know if that exsists any more.
Any way I was starting to get pretty good had enough confidence and in my one pocket game that I would start to seek out action. Let me tell you there were some unbelievably great, great players. And some tough rooms especially Mcgirrs 8th ave. 45th street downstairs.
Got my you know what handed to me but sometimes was able to break even or come out on top. I was paying my dues and to play With the big boys beleive me you pay your dues but the learning curve is greatly accelerated.

Then one Sunday morning I went for my weekly lesson every Sunday
morning and asked was Cosmo on table #20 usually the same table in the back and was told he had died and I stopped (playing that is).

2010 at a old brewery / resturant that has a pool table my daughter says dad didn't you play once and she decided to put my name on the chalk board to play next, while my family and friends were eating dinner
I won 7 or 8 games straight of 8 ball -- no completion but it felt great to be back on a table. Recently tied for 1st in a small 9ball tn. And have been playing a lot of straight pool. Thanks Jt for the post.
MCP

JTs cuerepair

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for all the replys

I enjoy reading all the replys,

I'm not a drinker at all, I never played in bars. We had a family get together one day at a place where there was a pool table, My whole family was there, My brother knew about my game and said Jack there is a pool table in the next room. Well he just had to put my name on the board for next game. I said I will play one game and thats it. There was two things I did not like about playing there. One was it was a bar box and second I never liked playing where there was people drinking. I hate dealing with drunks. Well when it was my turn to play the winner the guy said to me we are playing for drinks. I said I dont drink can we just play for a couple bucks. He said no we play for drinks here, I said fine and won the game after the game he asked me what are you drinking. I asked my brother what he wanted to drink and gave my winning drink to him. well I won the next game and asked another family member what they wanted to drink.
Long story short I never lost a single game and got my intire family feeling pretty good for free. Now every time there is a family get together or a party guess who they call first LOL

Last edited:

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
Damn, that's a funny story...:D

Do you now have the nickname "Drinks"???

Last edited:

JuicyGirl

Scroll Lock- Juicy Style
Silver Member
I took a break for over 10 years. My shrink suggested we do something just the hubs and I that was two years ago. We just celebrated 17 years of marriage. Good luck. We have friends in the Philippines too. I'd like to get a cue custom made from there. We already know who just a matter of $$$.

Warm regards
Loren
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

jcs003

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
good stuff. i quite when i was about 18. in 1997 i finished 2nd in a viking tour stop at mr. pockets pool & pub at parkway center mall and got frustrated with losing and with college and a couple other reasons gave up the game. it used to be just second nature to me but now after 12 years not playing it was like learning all over again. living in the past has made me put alot of pressure on myself. it doesnt help when you feel your past accomplishment are not taken seriously by your present competitors.

seems quite a few of us have these commonalaties in the search for our lost skills.

john