USPS Warning

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When you order things on Amazon, do they tell you it will take two days or two weeks up front? Have their rates changed based on how long it takes to deliver?

It doesn't make much sense to pay a big premium on shipping if two day can turn into three weeks anyway. Their website says no guarantee on priority now.

I do not think it is unreasonable to expect the service you are paying for. If they say they cannot deliver in the time frame as stated, then don't offer it as a service.

It often still says 2 days for Prime items shipped from Amazon (not drop shipped) but it keeps getting delayed over and over. I probably order from amazon once per week the past 5 years. Its been like clockwork the whole 5 years, 2 days to my door. Now with Corona, its sometimes 2 days, sometimes 2 weeks. I'm not complaining, as I see what's going on with my own eyes. Shipping is always free for me, as I pay for Amazon Prime yearly. I'm super happy with their service, so much so I bought their stock in my IRA.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It often still says 2 days for Prime items shipped from Amazon (not drop shipped) but it keeps getting delayed over and over. I probably order from amazon once per week the past 5 years. Its been like clockwork the whole 5 years, 2 days to my door. Now with Corona, its sometimes 2 days, sometimes 2 weeks. I'm not complaining, as I see what's going on with my own eyes. Shipping is always free for me, as I pay for Amazon Prime yearly. I'm super happy with their service, so much so I bought their stock in my IRA.

I don't think I would complain about the delay either if shipping was free.

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Ordinarily I would suggest registered mail but I'm not sure about how covid is impacting that.

Was just told yesterday that even registered mail packages will not he "signed" for by everyone who comes in contact with the package as usual because of Covid. Each piece will only be "looked over"... Not good

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
Both UPS, and USPS have a common problems, employees are protected by UNIONS. Like a shotgun with busted Griffey spring, not fire able, or very difficult at best.

USPS is not too difficult to deal with if a loss, or damage claim, if your ducks are in a row. Kneep receipts showing value, have photos of item shipped, etc..

UPS - Brown likes collecting insurance money, they hate paying any claims. First thing they drop on you is show us the package, then point to fine print about requirement on all side of two inches of protective packing material.

I like USPS Priority Mail, but also buy full value insurance, to cover problems.

But am now dealing with over due package that has not been on the radar in 4 days.:(. Me not real happy.

Sent out 2 USPS, one next day express on 6/29 and one normal priority on 6/19.. Both haven't been delivered yet. Terrible.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sent out 2 USPS, one next day express on 6/29 and one normal priority on 6/19.. Both haven't been delivered yet. Terrible.

That is terrible. You should get a refund on shipping costs for next day express. Correct?

Hope they arrive safely.

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I don't know......maybe I'm just lucky. Over 20 plus years of sending stuff primarily USPS Priority worldwide and only a few longer delay glitches including the last 6 months for the time I've been sending billiard products out. UPS, DHL, FEDEX have been used sporadically at the customer's request with no problems either.
NOW...on the other side of the coin. Things I purchase from some european vendors that normally take 7-10 days in the past are anywhere from 30-45 days. It's just the animal we're dealing with right now. (airline flight availability and increased customs times)
This topic has been discussed at length....
Send so the item must be signed for. Registered mail or express or over night are going to get you the best results.
DO NOT ship billiard products (cues) in "round tubes" only. Double pack the tubes inside a triangle or rectangle box for shipping. Preferably the triangle packing supplied by USPS for free.
DO NOT ship said products in a triangle or rectangle box ONLY. Take the time to double pack them and pay the little extra on the weight.
DO NOT use business names on the labels. Especially when shipping billiard products. I know for a fact that the stories are real of "inside" people looking for these items.
These are just a few things that I have done over the years that may or may not have helped my process. All the companies are experiencing some type of glitches throughout their systems depending on where the packages are heading to.
Patience is the name of the game right now. Hopefully everyone receives what they have coming. I've had things say they were "Out for delivery" on my texts only to have them show up a month later but things always seem to find their way here.
Good luck and ship smart. Don't try to save a few dollars on shipping for a thousand dollar item. Not a good shipping plan.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well its not completely free. It costs me $100 per year to purchase a Prime membership. With that membership, all of my purchases include free shipping.

I understand what you mean. This one package was $80 to ship. I have probably spent close to $500 on shipping with USPS in the last year.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know......maybe I'm just lucky. Over 20 plus years of sending stuff primarily USPS Priority worldwide and only a few longer delay glitches including the last 6 months for the time I've been sending billiard products out. UPS, DHL, FEDEX have been used sporadically at the customer's request with no problems either.
NOW...on the other side of the coin. Things I purchase from some european vendors that normally take 7-10 days in the past are anywhere from 30-45 days. It's just the animal we're dealing with right now. (airline flight availability and increased customs times)
This topic has been discussed at length....
Send so the item must be signed for. Registered mail or express or over night are going to get you the best results.
DO NOT ship billiard products (cues) in "round tubes" only. Double pack the tubes inside a triangle or rectangle box for shipping. Preferably the triangle packing supplied by USPS for free.
DO NOT ship said products in a triangle or rectangle box ONLY. Take the time to double pack them and pay the little extra on the weight.
DO NOT use business names on the labels. Especially when shipping billiard products. I know for a fact that the stories are real of "inside" people looking for these items.
These are just a few things that I have done over the years that may or may not have helped my process. All the companies are experiencing some type of glitches throughout their systems depending on where the packages are heading to.
Patience is the name of the game right now. Hopefully everyone receives what they have coming. I've had things say they were "Out for delivery" on my texts only to have them show up a month later but things always seem to find their way here.
Good luck and ship smart. Don't try to save a few dollars on shipping for a thousand dollar item. Not a good shipping plan.

I agree with most of what you said. The main thing I wanted to express in my original post is that USPS is no longer requiring a signature for items which it is required (insured for over $500). It would have been nice to know that up front so shipper could have asked for item to be left at the Post Office.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I understand what you mean. This one package was $80 to ship. I have probably spent close to $500 on shipping with USPS in the last year.

Yeah I hear you. One thing though the big companies pay WAY WAY WAY less than we do to ship.

I used to work at a big corporation (Fortune 500) and we exclusively used FedEX to ship. I would routinely ship one of those big rubbermaid plastic totes, something like 30" x 20" x 20" filled with tools from Atlanta to Philadelphia, and back. We had offices in both locations, and I'd go back and forth to do a job with my tools. FedEX ground on that was $6. I kid you not. And it would always take 2 days. This would probably cost $50 if I had to pay for it as a private individual using USPS.

If our company had such a huge discount for FedEX, I can only imagine what Amazon's discount must be for USPS.

A few days ago, I just shipped a small box of straight pool score beads and a bridge head on it to a member here. The box was probably 7" x 4" x 5". It cost $15 USPS.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
I have a box of important shafts that has been "in transit" since 6/20
The scary part is I've received priority shipments from the same person so I think it's lost.
How am I going to be able to get my insurance company to pay what the loss is for losing shafts.
The Harvey Martin cue for instance is worthless without the Harvey Martin shafts.

I've had 3 refunds for missed overnight express shipments in the last 6-weeks, so my
advice is to overnight the package so at least you get your money back.
The postal service is even missing the 2-day guaranteed shipments.
Totally understaffed due to COVID, with an increase in packages due to COVID.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
This just in.
Finally some movement
Unbelievable
Hasn't changed in 2 weeks until now

Screenshot_20200709-114241_Chrome.jpg

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
That's brutal. Classic case of compounded covid exacerbation

The scary part is I've received priority shipments from the same person so I think it's lost.
How am I going to be able to get my insurance company to pay what the loss is for losing shafts.
The Harvey Martin cue for instance is worthless without the Harvey Martin shafts.

I've had 3 refunds for missed overnight express shipments in the last 6-weeks, so my

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
I agree with most of what you said. The main thing I wanted to express in my original post is that USPS is no longer requiring a signature for items which it is required (insured for over $500). It would have been nice to know that up front so shipper could have asked for item to be left at the Post Office.

Yea I forgot to mention the "Hold for pickup" function. Helps keep it out of few extra hands thru the process to get it home.

nine_ball6970

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

In my instance, the shipper filed an inquiry and got an email response from my postmaster shortly after. It showed up at my house a couple days later. Mine was shipped 6/18 so hopefully yours will show up in the next day or two.

They may not even know it is missing in transit until someone brings it to their attention. Not sure what they do behind the scenes.

cuesblues

cue accumulator
Silver Member
In my instance, the shipper filed an inquiry and got an email response from my postmaster shortly after. It showed up at my house a couple days later. Mine was shipped 6/18 so hopefully yours will show up in the next day or two.

They may not even know it is missing in transit until someone brings it to their attention. Not sure what they do behind the scenes.

I've heard that before and I know that the hub in Denver is at 40% staff, but
packages just aren't moving.
Tracking has always been inadequate but the USPS needs to pay some overtime or something.

USP is looking better and better all the time.
I just don't care for FedEx.
Due to the cost of overnight shipments I will still use Priority Express but on ground
shipments UPS has been far more reliable.
I know UPS blows in some areas and guys love FedEx, but if there is ever an issue,
FedEx is awful, they will even lie and hope you go away.