rest in peace, the golden fleece (lake city/seattle)

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Was this the place built into the side of a super market or maybe a big box store? I played there once -- nice room. Absolute shame it's closed.

Lou Figueroa

It moved to a smaller location and not as nice. I was there a few months ago and about two years ago. It was a good action spot, played plenty of 1P there.

Jim

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
It moved to a smaller location and not as nice. I was there a few months ago and about two years ago. It was a good action spot, played plenty of 1P there.

Jim

Harry played there more than once and for big $$$!

cuetrip

Rob Hardman Cues
Silver Member
Never seemed to be as busy after the move from Kenmore to Lake City, and they never served beer at the new location.
Let's hope they pop up somewhere else.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Can anyone provide a bit more information? I am on a network that cannot access Instagram...

(Seriously? Linking Instagram?)

Short Bus Russ

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can anyone provide a bit more information? I am on a network that cannot access Instagram...

(Seriously? Linking Instagram?)

Short Bus Russ

hi russ, I mean well- please don't shoot me.

not sure what you know/don't know about the place, but in short, the fleece was pretty much the only real 'hall left in seattle (and it wasn't even in seattle-proper)- I admittedly got to the party late (after they'd moved from a bigger location), and can only imagine what the place was like in its pomp, but am glad I got to breathe in a few chalk fumes, and soak up some good pool juju before their doors shuttered. it was a meeting ground for pool fans of all ages, and abilities, but as was previously alluded, the fleece was in action and you could really see some great pool there. the equipment was quality (diamond 7' & 9'/simonis), and the atmosphere was real- no frills- this place was a pool hall.

the fleece is gone, but not soon forgotten- what the future holds, we'll have to wait and see.

enclosing a few pics from the original instagram post-

Attachments

• IMG_1575.jpg
    IMG_1575.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 632
  • IMG_1574.jpg
    IMG_1574.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 630
  • IMG_1573.jpg
    IMG_1573.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 635

Iberg

Just was talking to Dave a couple days ago. They sold the building out from under them. They are looking to purchase a building so this can't happen again. All the diamond tables are in storage. It's a tuff market in Seattle now. Hopefully they find something quick it's always been a great spot. What about Malarkey's tho. Two hits in one month, wtf.

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
Just was talking to Dave a couple days ago. They sold the building out from under them. They are looking to purchase a building so this can't happen again. All the diamond tables are in storage. It's a tuff market in Seattle now. Hopefully they find something quick it's always been a great spot. What about Malarkey's tho. Two hits in one month, wtf.

Yeah the Malarkey's blow is a tough one for all of us Tacoma folks. Sorry to hear about the Fleece as well; never got to play there but looks like it was a superb place to play. Probably far fetched but I wonder if the two owners could put their heads together and open a space in between Seattle-Tacoma where renting or purchasing would be a little easier...say Federal Way, Kent, Auburn, etc...

I know Western Washington has a ton of good players that are going to want somewhere to play to fill in the hole left by these two departures.

Sad times for pool in the NW...:shakehead:

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
for what it's worth, the fairly new 15th st. grill in auburn looks nice and I hear is doing well. if anybody around seattle wants to carpool down there and check it out some time, I got bux on gas.

I also hear a new spot is/will be opening up in lakewood- ? anybody got any intel on that?

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
most smaller poolrooms dont average 3 tables an hour for the day. so that doesnt even pay off the help.

a poolroom needs people that spend money on other things as well. like food, booze, gambling, and so it has to be a complete recreation spot.

and it must have an owner who cares on the premises.

bmccaslin

Registered Human
Silver Member
I also hear a new spot is/will be opening up in lakewood- ? anybody got any intel on that?

It's fuzzy to me, but I do recall someone saying this as well...maybe people from the old Cuetopia re-opening a similar place in the area. Would be great news, but we'll have to wait and see...

poolsucker

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is great I might bring a road player in few weeks and try to get down with Harry or Ed. Looking forward!! Chip

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ps I forgot to mention that there is a downstairs area that wasn't open when I went before.
I heard more tables..
based on what the joint looks like might be more of a "player's space"..

check'em out tho. support ya local spot!