I can't decide who I want to have build my first high end custom.

Drop The Rock

1652nd on AZ Money List
Silver Member
After making a couple of sacrifices and moves to improve our financial situation, things are looking up. My wife told me I should get a cue made. Price range would be around $1200-$1500.

The makers I had in mind are:

Bob Owen
Bob Dzuriky
Andy Gilbert
Leon Sly
Paul Drexler
Pat Diveney
Mike Durbin

I can't afford to do anything extremely fancy, but I want the cue to be black and white to the T.

My design "idea" is alternating black and white. Black G10 pin (or anodized steel) white joint, BW rings, Ebony forearm, BW ringtail lizard wrap, BW rings, Ebony butt sleeve BW rings, white butt cap with a black bumper (lol)

I thought about doing Ebony into Ebony points with 3-4 veneers. Bridge points would look great but I also don't want to break the bank. I know I am looking at 9-12 months.

Anybody have another cue maker in mind I haven't thought of?

Who would you or who have you had build cues for you?

P.S. The white doesn't need to be ivory, just...well white.

Bigtruck

Capt Diff Lock
Gold Member
Silver Member
After making a couple of sacrifices and moves to improve our financial situation, things are looking up. My wife told me I should get a cue made. Price range would be around $1200-$1500.

Bob Owen
Bob Dzuriky
Andy Gilbert
Leon Sly
Paul Drexler
Pat Diveney
Mike Durbin

I can't afford to do anything extremely fancy, but I want the cue to be black and white to the T.

My design "idea" is alternating black and white. Black G10 pin (or anodized steel) white joint, BW rings, Ebony forearm, BW ringtail lizard wrap, BW rings, Ebony butt sleeve BW rings, white butt cap with a black bumper (lol)

I thought about doing Ebony into Ebony points with 3-4 veneers. Bridge points would look great but I also don't want to break the bank. I know I am looking at 9-12 months.

All good choices but I would suggest adding Steve Lomax to the list.

Ray

1outofthemoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob Owen
Bob Dzuriky
Andy Gilbert
Leon Sly
Paul Drexler
Pat Diveney
Mike Durbin

I ordered a custom butterfly cue from Pat Diveney last January and I think I received it in late May or early June. He finished it well ahead of the time frame he gave me. Everyone else that I talked to said it was roughly a year wait or longer.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Go to Dallas / FW and talk to Steve Klein..

JV

Bob Owen
Bob Dzuriky
Andy Gilbert
Leon Sly
Paul Drexler
Pat Diveney
Mike Durbin

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

Bob Owen
Bob Dzuriky
Andy Gilbert
Leon Sly
Paul Drexler
Pat Diveney
Mike Durbin
All good choices. I think at this point, you can safely pare it down. Adding more cuemakers to your list won't help you, IMO, unless you only add Houston or local cuemakers.

Freddie <~~~ could add 50 more to your list, if you really want

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
While you have a nice list I'd consider Bob Frey. 2nd choice would be Leon Sly

Dimeball

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just recently began shooting with a Sly cue and I love it! The fact that Leon Sly is really nice and cool guy makes it that much better to me. Anyway that's my two dimes...

The Captain

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Bob Owen
Bob Dzuriky
Andy Gilbert
Leon Sly
Paul Drexler
Pat Diveney
Mike Durbin

I currently have a work of art being commissioned from Bob Dzuricky. I can unequivocally say... "This master is by FAR the most concerned and caring cue maker I have EVER dealt with!" I ordered my cue in January of last year, he told me it would be 12-14 months. As of today, it would have been finished and in my hands if it were not for a late request by me around Christmas time. (He is modifying his normal butt/bumper design to adapt it for the Tiger X-tension. He has done all the leg work, ordered the necessary parts, and accommodating my wishes. Not only accommodating... But doing it with excitement, care, attention to detail, and communication throughout it all). when I first approached him with my vision, he was still working on his back log, and apologized PROFUSELY for not being able to accept new business. Fast forward 2 months later, he was now accepting new business... I IMMEDIATELY contacted him based on 2 things... At the time, I had only ever seen/held ONE of his masterpieces and felt as though I was one with the cue, and #2... His communication. Since I commissioned a work from him, he has been PHENOMENAL with updates, answering any stupid questions I have, help with suggestions (not ultimatums), and overall customer service baddassery!!!! If anyone is ever wondering who to deal with for repairs or a new custom cue of TOP TIER quality... BOB DZURICKY is your man!

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You cannot go wrong if you choose Bob Owen.........great skills and wonderful attitude towards making the cue the way you envision it to be
and absolutely meticulous workmanship and amazing feel & hit with a custom Bob Owen pool cue.

The best endorsement you can give a cue-maker is to repeat business.........I wish I could show you the design of my cue underway right now
because I think it would settle the matter as to which of the cue-makers on your list to select........you can trust Bob.

Matt B.

dnixon

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would go with Paul Drexler he's built three custom cues for me. With one More on the way. Also great customer service and a quick turnaround

pedro.botta.9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love my nitti and Tommy Kennedy also likes him among many others ...Chris nitti is in Orlando. I'm not sure where you are located...but nitti makes good hitting beautiful cues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Baron

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of those makers, probably Leon or Diviney. Both make fantastic hitting cues. I'd also add Jerry Rauenzahn to the list, as he's been making great cues for many many years but offers cues at the prices of a new builder. Oh, and Bobby Hunter will build you a basic cue for less than 1500 and his cues are the nuts. Same with Mike Lambros.

...I guess I'm the wrong person to ask about this :p