OB Classic vs OB Classic Pro vs SS360

Ahgao86

Registered
Hi guys,

I started pool a good 12 years ago, but stopped about 9 years ago. I recently came back into the game and after getting my stroke and all in check I realized that deflection is a huge issue for me when using my Prather cue and the standard maple shaft it came with. It's not that I cannot adjust, it's just that the deflection isn't consistent. So I've been toying with the idea of getting a LD shaft, but the joint on my cue is a 3/8 x 11, so it's not a common joint. Managed to narrow down to this 3 shafts in the topic. I don't really like the dead and soft hit, so that's why you see I have the classic and pro from OB for comparison. Looks isn't a key thing to me, I'm more concerned about getting lower deflection, accuracy and consistency. If anyone out there has tried these 3 shafts or any of the shafts and would like to contribute some feedback it would be great!! Also, can someone share what impact would a different tip size have in terms of deflection and also playability? Thank you all in advance!

Regards,
Jameson Chin

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi guys,

I started pool a good 12 years ago, but stopped about 9 years ago. I recently came back into the game and after getting my stroke and all in check I realized that deflection is a huge issue for me when using my Prather cue and the standard maple shaft it came with. It's not that I cannot adjust, it's just that the deflection isn't consistent. So I've been toying with the idea of getting a LD shaft, but the joint on my cue is a 3/8 x 11, so it's not a common joint. Managed to narrow down to this 3 shafts in the topic. I don't really like the dead and soft hit, so that's why you see I have the classic and pro from OB for comparison. Looks isn't a key thing to me, I'm more concerned about getting lower deflection, accuracy and consistency. If anyone out there has tried these 3 shafts or any of the shafts and would like to contribute some feedback it would be great!! Also, can someone share what impact would a different tip size have in terms of deflection and also playability? Thank you all in advance!

Regards,
Jameson Chin
SS360/2, is hands down the better shaft.
If your looking at solid maple shaft, maybe Mezz WX700 is worth considering too?

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Really? In terms of low deflection and consistency too?

WX700 has the least deflection of those shafts.
I'm not sure what you mean by consistency,but Mezz shafts are of very high quality, SS360/2 also seems very even in quality, as for the new offerings from OB, I don't want to thrash them publicly, but the quality controll certainly has gone down and I have seen things on the new + shafts, you never would expect from a maker of high performance shafts...
If you want details, you can PM me.

lakeman77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've had all three, all play great. I settled on OB Classic + 12.75 mm tip. I think the larger tips are more forgiving. SS360 are good, but can be time consuming to get or replace. I think if you get any of the major brand LD shafts and play with it a month you will be fine. They are all forgiving, consistent to play with.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I've had all three, all play great. I settled on OB Classic + 12.75 mm tip. I think the larger tips are more forgiving. SS360 are good, but can be time consuming to get or replace. I think if you get any of the major brand LD shafts and play with it a month you will be fine. They are all forgiving, consistent to play with.
voice of reason
i would go with OB since its a well known commodity and has great customer service in my experience with them
having played with ob shafts 1 and 2 and the plus versions
the larger size is my personal preference

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
One other thing to consider between the Classic and Classic +. My Classic weights 4 oz. My Classic + weights 3.6 oz. Makes a big difference in the balance of my cue. I don't like the Classic +. Also I don't like the big difference in the color of the pieces of wood they used in my shaft. I have a Fury EXII shaft with 10 laminations that you can't hardly tell is a laminated shaft. Since OB doesn't make the Original Classic anymore I would look at the Jacoby Edge Hybrid.

Superiorduper

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I own almost all of the OB+ shafts and and recently became the owner of two SS360 custom shafts.

I love the OB shafts and the only reason I ordered 2 shafts from Bob was so I had good low deflection shafts that fit on my custom cues with matching ringwork. I have grown to love the way they play, they're much stiffer than my OB shafts so can get more out of power follow/draw. They make a nice tone when striking the cue ball.

You won't be disappointed with either, ob shafts play great, I'd recommend one in 12.75mm though to retain the stiffness that The ss360 has, which is 12.5mm

Ahgao86

Registered
I own almost all of the OB+ shafts and and recently became the owner of two SS360 custom shafts.

I love the OB shafts and the only reason I ordered 2 shafts from Bob was so I had good low deflection shafts that fit on my custom cues with matching ringwork. I have grown to love the way they play, they're much stiffer than my OB shafts so can get more out of power follow/draw. They make a nice tone when striking the cue ball.

You won't be disappointed with either, ob shafts play great, I'd recommend one in 12.75mm though to retain the stiffness that The ss360 has, which is 12.5mm

Hi bro, how is the deflection in comparison with the ss360, and the 2 OB shafts mentioned in the topic?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just got a 360 from Seyberts and really like it. I've had both of the earlier OB's and the Classic+ is by far the best shaft they make, imo. The 360 squirts a little more than the OB but the feel/feedback is WAAAAY better. The Classic+ feels & sounds dead in comparison, at least to me anyway.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question should be: what is the pivot point of these shafts? Deflection varies based on your bridge length. Google Dr. Dave's pool, billiards.

Ahgao86

Registered
The question should be: what is the pivot point of these shafts? Deflection varies based on your bridge length. Google Dr. Dave's pool, billiards.

Yes I get your point. However that is meant more for compensation using backhand or fronthand English. If you've used LD shafts you'll realize that when using just a tad of English, no compensation is required. When you're shooting a harder shot or when your tip offset is a lot then yes you need to compensate, but by how much? That's my main point. Nevertheless thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Ahgao86

Registered
Meh, probably a little less deflection with the OB imo, it's negatable though. You can't go wrong either way

Thanks for the input! I went down to my local cue shop to try the Classic and the Pro (too bad they don't have the ss360) and I've pretty much decided to go with the Classic! Any idea what would be a good tip I should match it with? I'm playing with the Kamui Black Clear Super Soft on a conventional maple shaft using a 3/8x11 to wood joint and I love the feel! Not sure if it will be a similar feel if I put on the same tip to the Classic? Any inputs?

Ahgao86

Registered
Yes---but many players are not aware of it. I was just sparking some curiosity.

Haha! I believe in BHE and I use it all the time with my conventional shaft. Only problem comes when it's a slow/long shot or slow AND long shot and I run into problems. No idea how to use FHE at all and it just doesn't seem to click for me the slightest bit. 😅

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a Kamui Black Soft on my Classic and I just had a Kamui Black Soft put on my Classic +. When my Classic shaft needs a new tip I will put a Kamui Black Super Soft on it. The Original Classic shafts have a lot more power when using follow and draw than the Classic + shafts. At least for me.

Ahgao86

Registered
I have a Kamui Black Soft on my Classic and I just had a Kamui Black Soft put on my Classic +. When my Classic shaft needs a new tip I will put a Kamui Black Super Soft on it. The Original Classic shafts have a lot more power when using follow and draw than the Classic + shafts. At least for me.

I was told that follow and draw should not have any effect on a LD shaft, but yet I've read about it on AZB that an LD shaft might give you some problems on force follows or power draw. As I've yet to receive my shaft, I have been playing around with the demo classic shaft at my local cue shop and I've experienced problems with draw. But then again I'm not used to this shaft, and they are using a medium tip which has turned really hard, so it might be the tip issue too, I hope. Do you face major problems with force follow and power draw?