One pocket rules qstion "Forgotten owed ball"

KoolKat9Lives

Taught 'em all I know
Silver Member
This happens a lot... Someone owes a ball & it's forgotten to be spotted after his inning (and he has a ball in his pocket). An inning or two passes when the coin is discovered indicating an owed ball. When do you spot the ball?

I read the rules for the DCC, but I don't know if that's gospel. It said when it is discovered, the ball is spotted after both players have completed their inning.

Is this correct?

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
This happens a lot... Someone owes a ball & it's forgotten to be spotted after his inning (and he has a ball in his pocket). An inning or two passes when the coin is discovered indicating an owed ball. When do you spot the ball?

I read the rules for the DCC, but I don't know if that's gospel. It said when it is discovered, the ball is spotted after both players have completed their inning.

Is this correct?
That would be the norm.

And FWIW, the term most often used in one pocket circles is "slept ball."

Freddie

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Is this correct?
The player that owes would spot the "late" ball at end of his inning is how we always do it.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Is this correct?
As Freddie said, that's how it is usually done. It gives both players a chance to adjust their strategy to the new situation.

I was just thinking about an additional complication. Suppose a player is in a run and has pocketed a ball in the side pocket and then notices that he has a coin on the rail for a slept ball. You could argue that since a ball is going to be spotted for this turn you might as well spot everything, but I think you need to wait on the slept ball.

GoldenFlash

Banned
That would be the norm.
And FWIW, the term most often used in one pocket circles is "slept ball."
Freddie
The old time gamblers down south played a slept ball as too bad for you if you woke up to it later.
In other words, "you snooze, you lose".

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The old time gamblers down south played a slept ball as too bad for you if you woke up to it later.
In other words, "you snooze, you lose".
I think "you snooze, you lose" may be a good idea but in the other direction. If a player "forgets" he owes a ball and doesn't spot one at the end of his inning and his opponent gets to the table to shoot without a ball being spotted, the first player should put up two balls for trying to sneak one through. That would encourage following the rules rather than encouraging cheating.