Getting a "spot" when gambling

KeyHammonds

Registered
For some reason a cloud of confusion has come up in this gambling situation.
If an opponent is getting the last 2 balls given to him/her in a race to (5) "9ball or 10 ball"
What exactly does that mean? Do they "the opponent getting the spot" have to shoot one of the two remaining balls on the table to win that game or just the third remaining ball?

If an opponent is getting the last 2 balls given to him/her in a race to (5) "9ball or 10 ball"
What exactly does that mean? Do they "the opponent getting the spot" have to shoot one of the two remaining balls on the table to win that game or just the third remaining ball?

If playing 9 ball it means that if the player receiving the weight makes the 9 or the only other ball on the table besides the 9, he wins.

If playing 10 ball it means that if the player receiving the weight makes the 10 or the only other ball on the table besides the 10, he wins.

ONB

Last edited:

De420MadHatter

SicBiNature
Silver Member
If playing 9 ball, the last 2 would be the 9 ball and whatever other ball remains on the table. In 10 ball it would be the 10 and whatever other ball remains. Just like it sounds, last 2 balls on the table are your money balls.

KeyHammonds

Registered
If the last 2 are given to the player why would they even have to shoot any of the remaining 2. ? The word " give " makes it confusing.why not just say the last 2 wild. That actually implies the shooter would have to pocket one of the two remaining balls. I guess it can go either way. Depending how you word it

If the last 2 are given to the player why would they even have to shoot any of the remaining 2. ? The word " give " makes it confusing.why not just say the last 2 wild. That actually implies the shooter would have to pocket one of the two remaining balls It's not implied, it's a fact.. I guess it can go either way. Depending how you word it

Because you can't win until you make one of the "last 2". That's the spot. You can't win until you make your moneyball.

The "last 2" is wild unless otherwise stipulated.

ONB

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you don't have to sink one of the last 2 balls on the table when getting the last 2 as a spot, how would the guy giving up weight ever win? He could run down to the 8 and you'd just be like "there's 2 balls on the table, I win"

I can't even wrap my mind around suggesting a change for something this basic.

TheMadScientist

Justin Richardson
Silver Member
The last 2 is not a wild spot. It is a tiny spot. You don't get to shoot at either of the last 2 balls or anything. Next time, ask for the 8 ball wild.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
If the last 2 are given to the player why would they even have to shoot any of the remaining 2. ? The word " give " makes it confusing.why not just say the last 2 wild. That actually implies the shooter would have to pocket one of the two remaining balls. I guess it can go either way. Depending how you word it

And calling my mug a "coffee cup" implies I can only put coffee in it... it's all about context.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

"Wild" has its own specific meaning.

How about we just use last 2 as it's been used forever?

"Give" isn't about the last two balls; it's about who is giving the spot (the favorite) vs getting/taking the spot (the underdog).

Spot = the last two
Give defines the favorite
Take defines the underdog

It's analogous to laying vs taking odds.

Freddie <~~~ will take a nap

Last edited:

longhair

Boyd Porter-Reynolds
Silver Member

I think I see what you are saying. You hear "give" and think it must mean "concede" as in, "he got straight in on an easy nine so I gave it to him." That's not how "give" is being used here.

"I'll give you the last two" means I'm offering you the spot that we call "the last two," not that I will concede the last two balls to you. The spot we call "the last two" is as described above and elsewhere. The last two balls on the table are winners for you, while only the nine (or 10) is a winner for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSykes24

www.coreysykes.com
Silver Member
Hey Key,

It's if they make one of the last two balls on the table. Others have said the correct info in here.

If I said "I'll give you the 7" ... you'd still recognize that as having to make the 7, right? Same concept here.

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You also have to realize that you can't just shoot either of the last two balls on the table. You still have to make a legal shot, which means "in order", or a combination on the 10 if playing 10 ball, or on the 9 if playing 9 ball.

You can't have the 8 and 9 left playing 9 ball and just shoot the 9 in.

peteypooldude

I see Edges
Silver Member

They have to shoot one of the two remaining balls. It's really not much of a spot. In reality it's only 1 ball

It's really not much of a spot. In reality it's only 1 ball

Except for spotting someone the break and several other games most here have probably never heard of, the "last 2" is just about the least weight you can give up playing 9 ball.

It's kind of like giving up 9-8 playing one pocket.

It's not insignificant but it's not a ton of weight either.

ONB