"99 Critical Shots in Pool" How many Mistakes

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just one more thing.

I love "The 99 Critical Shots In Pool" and it was a thrill to meet Ray, take a 14.1 lesson from him, and have him autograph my hardcover first edition. The man is a stone cold killer on the table and he was, and still is, willing to share "stuff" when there wasn't much "stuff" out there. If he and/or his co-author, Rosser Reeves, made a mistake or three, that's still a whole lot of shots he helped all of us learn back in the late 70's.

Lou Figueroa

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    6.4 KB · Views: 218

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Two things:

I set it up while looking at this thread on my phone so I got the setup right. And, I am playing with a brand new set of balls with a matched CB, which I think is especially important on this shot. If you have substituted a RC or MCB to the set you're playing with, or the OBs and CB aren't matched, or one or the other is worn down from use you may get a different result.

Lou Figueroa
Did you try the modified shot I suggested?

The state of the ball set is more or less immaterial as long as the cue ball is frozen to the object ball.

mnsneakypete

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Most people now play that as a legal shot if the cue ball is frozen to the object ball. There may be some leagues and tournaments that require you to do something nonsensical, like jack up 45 degrees, if you shoot it, but you can still shoot it.

Local and bar rules are different, of course. What rule set do you play by usually?

I play in various big table tourneys (Derby), but I also play in VNEA leagues (although I hate dealing with the many folks who do not know the rules). This shot made me think back to my shooting a typical throw shot on a 2 ball frozen to the cue ball. The guy I was playing went ballistic, calling foul for a bad hit. Maybe jacking up 45 degrees would make someone happy now-a-days.

So to summarize, you should be able to shot this shot, but be prepared for complete histrionics.

BTW, thank you, Bob, for your contributions to pool. I know you are credited with making the physics of this shot understandable for the rest of us.

Last edited: