FS: Gus Szamboti leather & ivory

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
FS: Gus Szamboti

Late 1970's Gus, ivory joint and leather wrap (both rare on Gus cues). According to Barry's letter, probable original leather wrap, old but non-Gus finish. 4 veneers (2 black, 2 natural). 19.6 oz, 59 inches (long), 2 original shafts.

From Barry's letter: "The butt and both shafts spin true in the lathe, meaning that they are straight. The butt rolls straight on the table. The shafts have a minor taper bounce when rolled on the table. The cue rolls good when screwed together."

The other shaft is exactly like the one shown - 12.36mm. Weights are ~3.85 and 4.0

The letter is handwritten on 'Szamboti Cues' letterhead along with his stamped seal and Barry Szamboti signature. Two small pages of handwritten Barry Szamboti notes are also included.

**edited to change a few things for documentation: my shaft diameters are a little less than what Barry has in his letter (12.40 vs my 12.36). There are some chips in the finish; however, Barry did not recommend refinishing it when he had it. He no longer does refinishes. The tips are Champion tips from Gus' stock that Barry added. He also "cleaned up" the cue.

$9,300 OBRO cashier's check, U.S. only, no WA or CA.

Attachments

• IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 6,513
  • IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 6,470
Last edited:

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
U.S. only - No International or Washington State (due to i***y).

Sorry, not interested in trades.

Last edited:

$TAKE HOR$E

champagne - campaign
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
260   0   0
Everyone making those 57.5 and 58 inch cues and Gus was making 59s back in the day...he knew something. Love this cue.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Everyone making those 57.5 and 58 inch cues and Gus was making 59s back in the day...he knew something. Love this cue.

I'm 6'2" - that extra inch and being able to shoot opposite-handed makes the bridge unnecessary.

Last edited:

rsmith_1972

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Sir,

I have a tascarrella I would trade plus some cash. If interest let me know.

Richard

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Richard, you are not set up to receive private messages. You can contact me via my website - in my signature line. Thanks.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'm considering trades + cash. When I trade on AZ I'm looking for something fair to both parties. I'm currently seeing that everyone thinks their cues have held their value over the last few years, but Gus cues are fire sales. That's not the case - we're all suffering.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Great point.....everyone wants full value trade allowance, whatever that really is,
but when it comes to how much cash to add, their discount rationalization takes over,

Doesn't quite work like that in real life from what I've experienced. If the seller is willing
to deal, and at $7500 it's more like a steal, then the buyer should be prepared to as well.

runscott

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Will consider reasonable offers or trades that involve cash and cues (Tascarella, Barenbrugge, Spain, Hercek, Tucker, Tibbitts, Peterson).