Tuning the stroke

AlexandruM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the tendency to jerk my stroke on power shots (I'm an elbow dropper). I'm feeling that I can't get power from cueball If I'm not forcing.

Can you recommend any drills or solutions to fix the jerk stroke?

jrctherake

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have the tendency to jerk my stroke on power shots (I'm an elbow dropper). I'm feeling that I can't get power from cueball If I'm not forcing.

Set up donuts on foot and head string and start by slowly stroking object balls only....no cue ball into corner pocket.

Pick a spot roughly 4 to 6 inches in front of object ball. Get in stance and stroke through ball until you reach spot while keeping elbow up.

Do that until you don't have to tell yourself to do it or it becomes automatic. Be warned, it could take 1000 or could take 10000 balls but it's the fasted way I know.

BTW, you will HAVE the urge to stop drill. People that don't stop are the people that don't drop their elbow.

It's one of the drills we should have done before learning English.

Rake

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Using all 15 balls as cue balls, one at a time place one on the head spot. Go through your full preshot routine. Hit the ball into a pocket at the other end of the table like an intentional scratch. You’re not shooting at another ball. Just emphasizing a smooth pull back and smooth delivery with a generous follow through.

Do no less than 50 balls at a sitting and keep count. Once you’ve hit 1000 balls that way, you’ll have established a more smooth stroke in your muscle memory that you’re ready to bring back to the table when pocketing balls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

Elbow drops are used by pros and may have nothing to do with jerking a stroke.

Post video in the instructors sub-forum and me and other instructors will take a look.

Hits 'em Hard

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The cue weighs approximately three times as much as the cue ball. A power shot really doesn’t need to be hit as ‘hard’ as you think. Without seeing a video and you describing it as a jerk, I would say your bridge length combined with your stroke length are at odds.

demartini rocks

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
must be at least 75% of the pros that elbow drop. when the timing is on target elbow drop is the way to go. stroke is smoother and shot making is more accurate. elbow droppers I watch and study from on video: earl, archer, sigel, siming chen, varner.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member

Have you tried a longer bridge? Gives more room for a smooth buildup of power/speed.

poj
chgo

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another tip might be to add a pause between your back and forward stroke. That helps make sure you’re not starting the chainsaw as a stroke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a video of me doing 1000 balls drill
https://youtu.be/8GFpxmYjOm8

I'm feeling like if I'll make a long pause between backstroke and the last forward stroke, I'm not able to put power in my stroke.

After just a quick look at a few strokes for me it is just obvious that most of the times you have too short backswing that's why it is guite difficult to accelerate by making a smooth and relaxed stroke. For the speed you're shooting you need a full backswing. And for a good muscle memory I would recommend to try keeping your warm up strokes pretty similar with the same amplitude and the speed. That is from my point of view.

Last edited:

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the most important factors in stroking motion is the final pull back before the hit swing. It should be slow and smooth like drawing an arrow in a bow. This motion will fix a lot of stroking issues. It doesn't matter how hard you hit the ball, maintain a nice slow back swing before the final shot.

Poolboss1030

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mind over matter is key. Even if you feel like your not getting the power you need by keeping your stroke true, you are, just not hitting the spot on the cb needed

Straightpool_99

I see dead balls
Silver Member
I'm struggling with the jerking stroke myself. I'm trying to get back into stroke after some time off from pool. I found that I have to start very slowly in practise, shooting soft shots and then building speed very gradually. Once I feel myself jerk the cue, I take the speed down a bit. It takes time to build a good stroke.