DCC 9-Ball Final

arcstats

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was pretty amped up for the final between Filler and Corteza, knowing each had a buyback in their pocket. Then they announced that the rule was changed and the final would be one match, race to 11 to decide the winner. What a crock.

We should have gotten a 2 out of 3 setup with two of the hottest players at the event. The excuse for the change was they did not want it to go late into the night. What a crock.

After Corteza ran over Filler in the only set, who would have not wanted to see Filler try to shoot his way back to the title? Why does Filler get eliminated with only one loss while the other 406 were not eliminated until they suffered 2 losses? What a crock.

A 9 day tournament, with a ridiculous format of redrawing every round from scratch that creates who knows how much down time, decides to abandon the format to get the final over as fast as possible? What a crock.

As a steam purchaser, there was more nothing time than playing time during the 9-ball competition. Then we get a shortened final. What a crock.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I'm with you. As a fan, I'd have loved to see a best two of three final, although it might have taken hours and hours. That said, the format, determined prior to the beginning of the Derby, was still fair to the players, and Lee Vann Corteza gave a dominant performance worthy of a champion.

The last two nine ball finals, Melling vs Morra in 2018 and Woodward vs Aranas in 2019 both ended after 3:00 AM of the Derby's final session. There is no doubt in my mind that they were trying to avoid that situation when they instituted the new rule. I suspect if they knew the 9-ball final would start on schedule for the first time in years, they'd have taken a different view.

I'm hard pressed to fault Diamond for the decision they made.

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm with you. As a fan, I'd have loved to see a best two of three final, although it might have taken hours and hours. That said, the format, determined prior to the beginning of the Derby, was still fair to the players, and Lee Vann Corteza gave a dominant performance worthy of a champion.

The last two nine ball finals, Melling vs Morra in 2018 and Woodward vs Aranas in 2019 both ended after 3:00 AM of the Derby's final session. There is no doubt in my mind that they were trying to avoid that situation when they instituted the new rule. I suspect if they knew the 9-ball final would start on schedule for the first time in years, they'd have taken a different view.

I'm hard pressed to fault Diamond for the decision they made.

So much this! And if people are complaining about others had to loose twice vs Filler not loosing twice, well not all of the 400 or so other players bought back so they lost once and aren't a number of tournaments double elimination until the final 16 were it is single elimination? To me this is no different.