Lambros: threading the shaft to the butt

cecain7

Registered
I have what may be a Mickey Mouse question, but I am having difficulty fastening shafts to the butt of a new Lambros. I hate to force anything. The cue arrived Priority Mail and it is chilly in Montana. Perhaps when the cue reaches room temperature it will fit properly? I used one of those soft rubber things for opening tough jar lids. Made me a bit nervous.
I have left a message with Lambros cues and hopefully, he will return my call.
Just anxious as hell to hit some balls with it.
I considered using some cue wax on the shaft, but wondered if that might swell it?

Any help is appreciated.

Cain

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'd wait for what the shop says...you dont want to create the possible situation where it is damaged and it is of your doing.

That said, it is threads and I doubt a little muscle would would do it wrong.

It is an ultra joint, yes? Isnt one of the characteristics of that its snug fit?

Free advice: worth every penny.

cecain7

Registered
Thanks for the quick response. And, I agree about waiting. I believe perhaps the sitting at a postal facility this time of year has swollen the unfinished wood of the joint and when the cue warms and dries to normal it will be fine.

And, yes...the ultra joint.

Last edited:

hon400ex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have one and it is the toughest cue I've ever had to screw together. Never had to use something to help though, just saying I think they fit really tight. I'll be interested in his response.
Thanks,
Andy

cecain7

Registered
I'll post my findings here once I've found the solution. I don't mind the difficult...it's the impossible I hate!! LOL

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cecil, good luck! Mine fits together like butter; Mike will let ya know how to handle!

Best cues out there, in my opinion.

little gambler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had one and it was without a doubt the tightest fitting shaft to butt fit I have ever had. Way tougher than any radial pin. A few of my Josey’s felt so tight you could have played with a shaft unscrewed 1-1 1/2 turns and not noticed the shaft was even loose, but my Lambros was even tougher to tighten.

pogmothoin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
You really don't describe exactly what is happening. Are the threads not meshing at all, is it screwing together to a certain point and then becoming difficult to continue?

I've never has it happen with a Lambros cue but on another maker where the inside of the shaft had sawdust inside. Take a little compressed air and give it a quick blast. You never know. Good luck.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really don't describe exactly what is happening. Are the threads not meshing at all, is it screwing together to a certain point and then becoming difficult to continue?

I've never has it happen with a Lambros cue but on another maker where the inside of the shaft had sawdust inside. Take a little compressed air and give it a quick blast. You never know. Good luck.

That is a good little nugget of info, there.

In my experience, this problem results in the pin not threading deep enough...not in general tightness of threads.

And an awl or piece of coat hanger will do the trick too.

cecain7

Registered
Thanks for all the suggestions.
The pin was engaging fine. It was just the final closure past the flared/cone portion.
I let the cue sit overnight (about 18 hours) and it is now seating the faces. I believe the extreme environmental changes in the shipping from Hawaii to Montana in the winter was the problem. The maple seems to have found it's 'happy' place.
Anyway, I am truly relieved and am also grateful for all the concerned responses.

Happy New Year!

Cain

SheaGA

Registered
did you get it yet? if not you can try putting a little hard soap on the threads of the butt. i had to do this with my Sugartree.

cecain7

Registered
Shea,
Yes, finally got both shafts to seat. When they say compression fit, they mean COMPRESSION! Reminds me of the crush sleeve on the pinion shaft.
Anyway, the threading is normal. I think everything is good to go now.

Thanks again,

Cain

cecain7

Registered
Had a very nice call this morning from Mr. Lambros. He agreed that the exposed portions of maple had most likely absorbed moisture and expanded due to the change of geography. The cue was shipped from Hawaii to Montana. It's a bit chilly here. Anyway, his advice was to allow the woods to acclimate before any attempt at modifying or sealing. He suggested that shortly the shafts and butt will seat by hand pressure. At that time, it might be advisable to seal the bare wood with a light application of cue wax and wipe the excess off.
However, today the shafts and butt were easier to seat than yesterday. I am able to get the joint fully seated and play. I believe I'll leave it alone and let use over time polish the mating surfaces.

Anyway, it was great to talk visit him. He assured me that he was always available if I needed anything.
Glad to reaffirm how wonderful the cue artists are. So glad they are so committed.

CAin

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
I am glad your cue is working better now. As a data point, I have a Lambros ultra-joint cue here in Saskatchewan. It has two shafts, and one is definitely a better fit in the winter while the other is a better fit in the summer. The winter shaft gets quite tight in the summer, and the summer shaft fits a little loose (very easy to screw together) in the winter (I think :confused:).

Dave