My Day Four Recap

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
noone shoots that 4-ball at that stage unless he has a complete brain dusfunction. it was a safety gone wrong. the idea was probably thinning the four and hooking whitey behind the 5 and 8. i don't think kicking behind was feasible

We agree it was a failed safety, and what you say about his intentions is certainly possible. But I just watched it again. The 4-ball was a full ball off the rail. Trying to thin it and put the cb behind the 5 and 8 would have a high chance of putting the 4 in front of the corner pocket for either an open shot, a rail-first shot, or a fairly easy jump shot. I still think he tried to hit the foot rail first with left spin and send the 4-ball away, but he swerved into the 4-ball first.

Commentating, Karl Boyes said Filler "tried to come off the back rail, misjudged the spin."

Runner

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great synopsis , Jay.. you pretty much nailed it!..

And please Matchroom, next year just go with regular Aramiths or Centennial balls!

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The corners were said to have 4¼" mouths and deep shelves, but I don't know for sure. This year's table played tougher than last year's, which had 4½" corners.

This correct. The corners were 4.25" openings and had very deep shelves. There were a couple of balls buried deep in the pocket that didn't fall, that looked like they were hanging over the pocket opening! It was not easy to play shape off these balls and they couldn't go rail first and hit them. They had to shoot straight at them and draw the cue ball back into position. The two times I noticed it the player made a good draw stroke and got the cue ball out of danger. But these guys can play so I'm not surprised. It would create problems for the average banger like me. I'm sure I would end up shooting a stop shot no matter how hard I tried to draw the ball out of there. ;)

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
We agree it was a failed safety, and what you say about his intentions is certainly possible. But I just watched it again. The 4-ball was a full ball off the rail. Trying to thin it and put the cb behind the 5 and 8 would have a high chance of putting the 4 in front of the corner pocket for either an open shot, a rail-first shot, or a fairly easy jump shot. I still think he tried to hit the foot rail first with left spin and send the 4-ball away, but he swerved into the 4-ball first.

Commentating, Karl Boyes said Filler "tried to come off the back rail, misjudged the spin."

Karl nailed it. He's a good commentator. They had a wealth of good coms this week. I really like to see young guys like Jeremy and Schulman and Boyes in the box. They can learn a lot from Jim and Jerry as well.

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Karl nailed it. He's a good commentator. They had a wealth of good coms this week. I really like to see young guys like Jeremy and Schulman and Boyes in the box. They can learn a lot from Jim and Jerry as well.

Number of matches for each commentator:

12 Wych
11 Forsyth
7 Schulman
5 Boyes
2 Jones
1 Morris

Scratch85

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

I had seen Karl play a few times but knew little about him. Getting to see him during the Team CSI match and the MC, was a pleasure and eye opening. I didn’t realize he had such personality. I think I have become a fan!

Sent from my iPhone using AzBilliards Forums

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thanks all for your comments about my reports. It was hard to follow every shot correctly, particularly when looking straight at the table! Even after four days it was a problem differentiating the balls. I had a good seat to view the big screen on the wall close to me and even when watching there I put on my reading glasses to better see the balls. Many times I couldn't be sure which ball the player was shooting next until I saw how he was lining up on the shot or how he played shape to get there. The two and five were problematic, as were the three and four balls and the seven and nine. That leaves only three balls (one, six and eight) that were relatively easy to distinguish. Not a good thing IMO.