Advice on shafts with low throw?

Zieglermt

Registered
Hey guys, just curious if anyone could provide me with info about aftermarket shafts. Specifically, I am looking for a LD shaft that hits very solid, is radially consistent, around the 12.75-13.2mm range, and most importantly doesnt impart more spin induced throw than a 13mm solid maple cue would.:thumbup:

I am selling my Predator Z 2 sneaky due to it's weak long range hit and mainly because it imparts way way too much spin on the cueball causing increased throw. I use a lot of spin in my game. In fact I regularly run out the rack spinning the cueball to throw the obj ball every single shot even when I dont need to. That's just the way my playstyle is I guess. I think it makes it easier to pocket balls and get position. I wish I could afford a custom cue but I'm just a poor college kid. If any of you guys could help me out with some suggestions I'd appreciate it so much.

I've played with a 314, z2, meucci black dot, Gcore, poison, and lucasi zeroflex and liked the solid feel of the lucasi the most. I've been interested in Mcdermott i-2 shafts because it sounds like they are more focused on a solid hit than LD. A solid hit and low throw level is more important to me than ultra low deflection. So if anyone has played with an I-2 as of recently please let me know your thoughts thank you:)

Last edited:

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If, as you say, you regularly ruin out racks using lots of English, it's obvious you understand how to compensate for throw with your regular shaft. An LD shaft may cause you more harm than good. While I personally prefer an LD shaft, I don't think you'll find one with better hit/feel/feedback than you'll get with a quality maple shaft.

I would add that I don't think the small diameter LD shafts impart any more spin than a 13 mm maple shaft. It's more likely that you're simply making tip contact further out on the cb.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This subject has been covered ad nauseum, no offense meant. Try a OB Classic+ and a Meucci Pro. I've hit both and they feel great. Predators to me are dead-numb feeling, same goes for BlackDot.

jmhanson_21

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He said his problem with the predator was too much spin, which caused more throw, so he didn't mean squirt or deflection. However, that is likely the actual cause for two reasons. First, ultra low deflection would seem like it creates more throw because you'll hit the ball more full than you expect. The second reason is that super spin doesn't actually create more throw than a regular amount of English. In fact Dr. Dave proves that theory on his website using a series of experiments. There is a point of diminishing returns with English, whereas when a really high amount is applied, the result is actually less throw of the object ball than using a tip of English. My guess is that the super low cue ball deflection is causing an optical illusion, because you've played without it for so long.

sheffield6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No cue produces more spin or more throw than any other.

pj
chgo

I'm sure the OP will find this very helpful.

Try an OB Classic and experiment with different tips, I think mine came with an Everest tip, which I didnt like too much. It played much better with a Kamui soft with two or three layers taken off.
I also play with a Frey sneaky solid maple, with a Zan soft tip.
For me both produce acceptable levels of spin throw / squirt.,
Like you, I never liked the Z shaft.
IMO its all about finding the right shaft / tip combination for your game.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, just curious if anyone could provide me with info about aftermarket shafts. Specifically, I am looking for a LD shaft that hits very solid, is radially consistent, around the 12.75-13.2mm range, and most importantly doesnt impart more spin than a 13mm solid maple cue would.:thumbup:

I am selling my Predator Z 2 sneaky due to it's weak long range hit and mainly because it imparts way way too much spin on the cueball causing increased throw. I use a lot of spin in my game. In fact I regularly run out the rack spinning the cueball to throw the obj ball every single shot even when I dont need to. That's just the way my playstyle is I guess. I think it makes it easier to pocket balls and get position. I wish I could afford a custom cue but I'm just a poor college kid. If any of you guys could help me out with some suggestions I'd appreciate it so much.

I've played with a 314, z2, meucci black dot, Gcore, poison, and lucasi zeroflex and liked the solid feel of the lucasi the most. I've been interested in Mcdermott i-2 shafts because it sounds like they are more focused on a solid hit than LD. A solid hit and low throw level is more important to me than ultra low deflection. So if anyone has played with an I-2 as of recently please let me know your thoughts thank you:)

This is a bit confusing, what is "weak long range hit"? And what is "too much spin"? Don't hit to the side as much, you get less spin.

All you need to do is keep your shaft and hit less to the side, instant less spin.

Every LD shaft I used you can get more spin from than a regular shaft, especially when paired with a good tip. How much the ball gets thrown has nothing to do with the shaft but how you hit it and how hard and how dirty/clean the balls are.

Zieglermt

Registered
He said his problem with the predator was too much spin, which caused more throw, so he didn't mean squirt or deflection. However, that is likely the actual cause for two reasons. First, ultra low deflection would seem like it creates more throw because you'll hit the ball more full than you expect. The second reason is that super spin doesn't actually create more throw than a regular amount of English. In fact Dr. Dave proves that theory on his website using a series of experiments. There is a point of diminishing returns with English, whereas when a really high amount is applied, the result is actually less throw of the object ball than using a tip of English. My guess is that the super low cue ball deflection is causing an optical illusion, because you've played without it for so long.

Thanks everybody for your replies but this guy^ gets it. By the way, Im definitely not talking about squirt or swerve guys, but thanks. You could be right jmhanson, about the optical illusion, but I also know that when i hit with 2-3 tips of side with partial follow-through and a slow stroke to amplify the affect of throw my predator throws the object ball at least 10 degrees more than my mcdermott. I am adjusting for the difference in deflection when switching between cues and testing it on the same cut shot and using the same stroke. I have noticed that even 1 tip of side on a throw shot with my pred can move the object ball off the throw line that im used to. So what you're suggesting @Hang-the-nine, sounds very reasonable, but Im afraid it's just not the case with me at least.

Zieglermt

Registered
This subject has been covered ad nauseum, no offense meant. Try a OB Classic+ and a Meucci Pro. I've hit both and they feel great. Predators to me are dead-numb feeling, same goes for BlackDot.

none taken. I know the classic is supposed to have a slightly more solid hit than the 1 or 2, but from what I hear the classic is still kind of soft feeling, not sure though since feel is all relative, but I like to feel the shot and a really solid hit. I also cant seem to find a meucci pro anywhere

Zieglermt

Registered
I'm sure the OP will find this very helpful.

Try an OB Classic and experiment with different tips, I think mine came with an Everest tip, which I didnt like too much. It played much better with a Kamui soft with two or three layers taken off.
I also play with a Frey sneaky solid maple, with a Zan soft tip.
For me both produce acceptable levels of spin throw / squirt.,
Like you, I never liked the Z shaft.
IMO its all about finding the right shaft / tip combination for your game.

Everests are evil I too upgraded to the kamui soft and I loved it, but recently I bought a milk dud from pooldawg8 and Im never looking back. Anyways, how solid of a hit does the ob classic produce? feel free to answer as vaguely as you want im just curious

bender_lu

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
either a solid maple shaft than :D or maybe a mezz HP2. but some people have problems getting used to the sound because of the carbon inside the shaft... plus its not cheap

sheffield6

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everests are evil I too upgraded to the kamui soft and I loved it, but recently I bought a milk dud from pooldawg8 and Im never looking back. Anyways, how solid of a hit does the ob classic produce? feel free to answer as vaguely as you want im just curious

Its hard to describe the hit of a cue, you either like it or you dont, but I like ,it has a positive feel to it, its not a dead feeling like a pred, but I think the tip/ shaft combination is the answer.
I once got rid of a sugartree after a couple of days because I hated the hit, when really, I should have experimented with different tips.I regret it now.
See if you can test hit someones OB Classic, good luck.
And if you get the chance, try a Zan soft tip.

Colin Colenso

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks everybody for your replies but this guy^ gets it. By the way, Im definitely not talking about squirt or swerve guys, but thanks. You could be right jmhanson, about the optical illusion, but I also know that when i hit with 2-3 tips of side with partial follow-through and a slow stroke to amplify the affect of throw my predator throws the object ball at least 10 degrees more than my mcdermott. I am adjusting for the difference in deflection when switching between cues and testing it on the same cut shot and using the same stroke. I have noticed that even 1 tip of side on a throw shot with my pred can move the object ball off the throw line that im used to. So what you're suggesting @Hang-the-nine, sounds very reasonable, but Im afraid it's just not the case with me at least.
I'm guessing you're talking exclusively about Outside English. Heavy outside english throws the OB wider significantly.

On the other hand, heavy inside english pretty much sends the CB in the same direction as it would if the CB was rolling with pure follow.

What I think you're experiencing is that the McDermott is squirting more with Outside English, leading to a thicker hit. I'd expect you'd overcut inside english shots with the McDermott compared to your low deflection cue as the increased squirt would lead to a thinner hit. Comparing the two types may help to identify the real culprit here.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you considered Mezz Hybrid Alpha (12.8mm) or Hybrid Pro II or Exceed EX (both 12.5mm)