Places to play in SF/Oakland/Berkeley?

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
I'm going to be in the SF area for a week in January. I'll be staying with family in the East Bay, in Berkeley. Any places to play in Berkeley area, Oakland, or SF? Just looking for a place with nice tables. Not looking for action. It should be a place that my wife and non-pool obsessed friends wouldn't mind.

Thanks in advance for the info.

Dave D

Registered
Thalassa in Berkeley and the The Broken Rack in Emoryville have well maintained Olhausen tables and are reasonably family friendly

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
219Dave said:
I'm going to be in the SF area for a week in January. I'll be staying with family in the East Bay, in Berkeley. Any places to play in Berkeley area, Oakland, or SF? Just looking for a place with nice tables. Not looking for action. It should be a place that my wife and non-pool obsessed friends wouldn't mind.

Thanks in advance for the info.

The broken rack is probably a good option. It's in a small shopping center with a peet's coffee, a Border's bookstore and about 30-40 small non-franchise eateries with food ranging from excellent cheeseburgers to gyros, thai and indian food.

There's also some great shopping nearby if they want to drop you off and go shop for a while. The Bay Street mall which is about a mile away has all the trendiest stores, a movie theatre and an IKEA.

If you like one-pocket there's always some going on there and a few guys that will play for funsies.

~rc

Aaron_S

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I usually stop by Family Billiards on Geary when I'm in San Fran. I don't know how many tables they have, but it's a bunch. I like the place because the front few tables have been "Ernesto-mized", which means they will force you to either get in stroke or have one. ;)

Edit: Sorry, I just now noticed this part of your original post:

219Dave said:
Not looking for action. It should be a place that my wife and non-pool obsessed friends wouldn't mind..

Family Billiards is very much a serious players room, and probably has fewer of the things that might be entertaining to folks who are not interested in pool than some of the other places mentioned.

Aaron

Last edited:

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
Just came back from Thalassa in Berkeley. Loved it--thank you very much for the tip. Nice looking room- good bar, quality, well-maintained equipment, etc. And packed on a Monday night!

poolplayer2093

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i see someone already recommended the broken rack. it's a nice room with plenty of space. the pockets are a little big but the equipments decent. there seems to be a lot of 1 pocket players there. usually something going on worth watching

219Dave

Pool is my therapy
Silver Member
I appreciate the post, poolplayer. I'm not sure if my wife will let me sneak out for another pool night with my college buddy that lives out here, but if she does I'll check it out.