"Yellowed" Gold Crown 1 Plastic Skirts - Cleaning Advice Needed.

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
I have a set of plastic underskirts from an early gold crown and a few of the pieces have yellowed pretty bad. I'm going to assume it was the pieces that saw the most exposure to sunlight.

Is this a common problem and is there a way to clean them?

Could I sand them and then wax them? I dont want to scratch the plastic, but if sanding with a fine grit paper is the way to go, let me know.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a set of plastic underskirts from an early gold crown and a few of the pieces have yellowed pretty bad. I'm going to assume it was the pieces that saw the most exposure to sunlight.

Is this a common problem and is there a way to clean them?

Could I sand them and then wax them? I dont want to scratch the plastic, but if sanding with a fine grit paper is the way to go, let me know.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Why not scuff them up, primer then paint them?

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
I was trying to keep them as original as possible without putting a layer of paint on them. Maybe that's what I'll have to do eventually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

Dave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
UV is a killer and something like fiberglass or plastic is bound to suffer.
I'd first try something like a Magic Eraser, which has a very fine abrasive in it... next would be Barkeeper's Friend.
Try it in an area that isn't too visible... but you knew that! :-]
This is the physician's approach of "First, do no harm."
I think you're swimming up steam on this.
Good luck and report back.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had the white color matched and painted them along with the base of the table.

Share pics when you are finished.

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
UV is a killer and something like fiberglass or plastic is bound to suffer.
I'd first try something like a Magic Eraser, which has a very fine abrasive in it... next would be Barkeeper's Friend.
Try it in an area that isn't too visible... but you knew that! :-]
This is the physician's approach of "First, do no harm."
I think you're swimming up steam on this.
Good luck and report back.

I did try magic eraser and then BKF..funny how everyone loves that stuff! I always have it in my house.

No luck..I ended up sanding the problem areas..two pieces were real bad, the rest werent. I used a 600 grit wet sand and then a 1000 grit wet sand.

It came out great, but it no longer has the gloss the other pieces have. Ima shoot them with clear and see how they turn out.

If they turn out good, problem solved.

If I ruin them, I'll paint em like a few of you on here have suggested :)

Tro

Insert Clever Title Here
Silver Member
I had the white color matched and painted them along with the base of the table.

Share pics when you are finished.

It may come to that if I cant get the sanded pieces to gloss nice.

nine o nine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clear automotive finish will do the trick best as far as gloss is concerned. If you have a friend in the body shop business all the better. Mitch