What to Use in a Ball Cleaner???

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The room owner in my town has started using glass cleaner (generic Windex?) in his ball cleaner. Although shiny, lately it seems as if the balls are sticking to each other more often (skidding). They have even skidded when hitting the object ball square in the face; trying to soft follow about 8-10 inches, the cue ball leaves the ground and stops.

I'm curious whether or not glass cleaner could be the culprit or it's just coincidence. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks, Dave

I posted this in the main forum as well.

Cuedog

CUE BALL INCOMING!!!
Silver Member
Bludworth still makes a good cleaner as well as Tiger Products.

Gene

JimS

Grandpa & his grand boys.
Silver Member
12squared said:
The room owner in my town has started using glass cleaner (generic Windex?) in his ball cleaner. Although shiny, lately it seems as if the balls are sticking to each other more often (skidding). They have even skidded when hitting the object ball square in the face; trying to soft follow about 8-10 inches, the cue ball leaves the ground and stops.

I'm curious whether or not glass cleaner could be the culprit or it's just coincidence. Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks, Dave

I posted this in the main forum as well.

Have you tried not using the Windex on some balls and see if it changes the skidding? I think purpose-made polish should be used.

12squared

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Thank you all for your replies. I will pass them on to the room owner.

Dave

JPAlexis

Registered
Ball cleaning solution

Use a plastic cleaner polish called Novus I. It is a clear liquid and you have to mix it 5-1 with distilled water. Do not use it full strength, the 5-1 ratio works very well. Janitorial supply stores stock it.
It is very similar to the stuff Budworth sells. I liked the stuff Budworth sell also, but it more expensive. Try it you will like it.

JPA:)

sygfrid

alaskador
Silver Member
I've tried using glass cleaners in cleaning my bowling balls, and they work really great... but for billiard balls, I don't think so:rolleyes:

You'll never go wrong with ARAMITH BALL CLEANER. I've tried automotive waxes & polishes on my Aramith Pro-Cups, though they also do a god job in cleaning & making the balls shiny, the balls tend to skid a little. I still find the Aramith Ball Cleaner the best polish & cleaner as it gives that deep gloss but still maintains good traction with the cloth. It's a lot easier to use as you only need to apply it onto the balls then buff them :)

Last edited:

AZE

DeucesCracked Instructor
Silver Member
Aramith Ball Cleaner and 'Brasso'. They seem to work best (IMO)