APA, BCAPL, VNEA, WPA rule differences

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Dave, it should read "If an illegal impeding ball moves...". It is not a foul to move a legal impeding ball. CSI Rule 1-34-2.
Thank you for pointing that out. This is an important clarification. I've added it to the page.

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
To support my FOULS IN POOL … Everything You Need to Know video, I recently created a resource page where I try to summarize all important rules differences among APA, BCAPL, and VNEA rules, as compared to standard WPA rules. Here it is:

Please let me know if you think anything important is missing or if you disagree with anything I currently have there
Anybody else have any corrections, additions, or suggestions for improvement?

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great work as usual, thank you!
Thank you. When I first sat down to compile the rule set differences, I thought the lists would be a lot longer. Given how many rules there are, the different rule sets are actually very close to each other (except for some of the APA rules, which seem a little unnecessary, IMO). This begs the obvious question: "Why doesn't everybody just use the same official rules of pool?" I would think most people might agree with the CSI/BCAPL changes/improvements. Maybe the WPA should consider making those changes/improvements also. It also seems reasonable that the VNEA should drop their minor differences and also use the official rules. I know ... I am asking for too much! :confused:

Regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I would think most people might agree with the CSI/BCAPL changes/improvements. Maybe the WPA should consider making those changes/improvements also.
The CSI/BCAPL rules documentation also seems to provide better clarity than the WPA documentation concerning some rules. Maybe the WPA should consider improving their documentation in similar ways.

Regards,
Dave

Petros Andrikop

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thank you. When I first sat down to compile the rule set differences, I thought the lists would be a lot longer. Given how many rules there are, the different rule sets are actually very close to each other (except for some of the APA rules, which seem a little unnecessary, IMO). This begs the obvious question: "Why doesn't everybody just use the same official rules of pool?" I would think most people might agree with the CSI/BCAPL changes/improvements. Maybe the WPA should consider making those changes/improvements also. It also seems reasonable that the VNEA should drop their minor differences and also use the official rules. I know ... I am asking for too much! :confused:

Regards,
Dave

That is some food for thought. Over the last years, our sport not only faces quite a few official rules variations but also quite a few equipment variations (for eg pocket size) in professional play, even in tournaments under an official organization umbrella.
This phenomenon certainly doesn't promote uniformity (necessary for establishing a globally identified image), but it is simply the unavoidable consequence of technology and market development.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Somebody on YouTube just pointed out that under CSI/BCAPL rules, you don’t need to keep a hand on your cue when using it to help aim a shot. I just added a bullet for this on the rule difference page.

Please let me know if you guys spot any other important and non-obvious differences that should be added.

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Somebody just pointed out to me via e-mail that under VNEA rules, jumping the 8 off the table during the break is loss of game. I just added a bullet for this on the rule difference page.

Again, please let me know if you guys spot any other important and non-obvious differences that should be added.

Thanks,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A VNEA teammate of mine just pointed out that an OB frozen to a cushion must be driven to a different rail, and not just to a different cushion, so I just revised the VNEA bullet on the rules differences page to read:

"When hitting an OB frozen to a cushion, the OB must be driven to a cushion on a different rail (or off a ball and back to a cushion on the same rail) if nothing else hits a cushion or is pocketed."

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A VNEA teammate of mine just pointed out that an OB frozen to a cushion must be driven to a different rail, and not just to a different cushion, so I just revised the VNEA bullet on the rules differences page to read:

"When hitting an OB frozen to a cushion, the OB must be driven to a cushion on a different rail (or off a ball and back to a cushion on the same rail) if nothing else hits a cushion or is pocketed."

What’s the difference between rail and cushion? I’d never heard that distinction before.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

If an object ball is frozen to a cushion, it is legal to hit the object ball first, then cue ball touches the same cushion. Just like APA and BCA.

"7. Object Ball Frozen To Cushion Or Cue Ball.
This applies to any shot where the cue ball’s first contact with a ball is with one that is frozen to a cushion or to the cue ball itself. After the cue ball makes contact with the frozen ball, the shot must result in either:

a) A ball being pocketed, or;

b) The cue ball contacting a cushion, or;

c) The frozen ball being caused to contact a cushion attached to a separate rail, or;

d) Another object ball being caused to contact a cushion with which it was not already in contact.

Failure to satisfy one of those four requirements is a foul."

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

What’s the difference between rail and cushion? I’d never heard that distinction before.
The long "rail" has two different "cushions," separated by the side pocket.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

If an object ball is frozen to a cushion, it is legal to hit the object ball first, then cue ball touches the same cushion. Just like APA and BCA.
Agreed. That is consistent with my bullet:

"nothing else" includes the CB or any other OB.

Thank you for checking, and please let me know if you spot anything else on the rule differences page,
Dave

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Agreed. That is consistent with my bullet:

"nothing else" includes the CB or any other OB.

Thank you for checking, and please let me know if you spot anything else on the rule differences page,
Dave

Ok. Missed that.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
To support my FOULS IN POOL … Everything You Need to Know video, I recently created a resource page where I try to summarize all important rules differences among APA, BCAPL, and VNEA rules, as compared to standard WPA rules. Here it is:

Please let me know if you think anything important is missing or if you disagree with anything I currently have there.
FYI, I just added the following "commentary" at the bottom of the rule differences resource page:

"Why can't everybody use the same "official rules" of pool? I personally like all of the improvements CSI/BCAPL has made, and I hope the WPA (and all of the league systems) eventually embrace these improvements. Some of the APA and VNEA "special rules" are just plain ridiculous and should be eliminated."

What do you guys think of that?

Do you like all of the CSI/BCAPL improvements:
- If you scratch on the break, your opponent gets ball in hand anywhere on the table.
- When hitting an OB frozen to a cushion, the OB must be driven to a different cushion (or off a ball and back to the same cushion) if nothing else hits a cushion or is pocketed.
- If an illegal impeding ball moves during a jump or massé shot, whether it is hit by the CB or not, it is a foul.
- You don’t need to keep a hand on your cue when using it to help aim a shot.

And do you think all of the league systems should use the same "official rules" of pool?

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just added the following "commentary" at the bottom of the rule difference resource page:

"Why can't everybody use the same "official rules" of pool? I personally like all of the improvements CSI/BCAPL has made, and I hope the WPA (and all of the league systems) eventually embrace these improvements. Some of the APA and VNEA "special rules" are just plain ridiculous and should be eliminated."

Do you like all of the BCA/BCAPL improvements:
- If you scratch on the break, your opponent gets ball in hand anywhere on the table.
- When hitting an OB frozen to a cushion, the OB must be driven to a different cushion (or off a ball and back to the same cushion) if nothing else hits a cushion or is pocketed.
- If an illegal impeding ball moves during a jump or massé shot, whether it is hit by the CB or not, it is a foul.

And do you think all of the league systems should use the same "official rules" of pool?

Regards,
Dave

I personally like Bca improvements.
I believe 8ball to be a runout game. At least one ball
made on the break and solve the puzzle to get out.
Scratch on the break= ball in hand, is to me, in the spirit
of that.
Ob or cb to a rail after contact with a frozen ball, yes.
Bumping an impeding ball, I have no problem with it being
a foul or returning it to its original position as long as it happened after contact and does not effect the path of other balls that moved after the shot.
Keeping a hand on the cue, I could not care less.
You want to use your cue to aim a path, go ahead.

Differentiation between rules in different leagues is part
of what sets them apart.

I feel it would be best for all pro pool to have tight restrictions on equipment and rules of play that are
consistent in EVERY event played.

It is funny when some bangers are playing next to you and say, " hey, it looks like you play pretty good, can you settle an argument we are having about this rule?"
:) Well instead of explaining our 875 rule sets and why they are different and which one are you playing by,
I just tell them before you play and especially if gambling
agree on the rules first. Sorry I can get in the middle of it.;)

lorider

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just added the following "commentary" at the bottom of the rule difference resource page:

Do you like all of the BCA/BCAPL improvements:

Regards,
Dave

I personally do not like the bcapl changes. Bih anywhere after a scratch on the break and open table after the break make it too easy to run out.

As for every league having the same rules ? I have played apa....bcapl...usapl....tap. ...and napa. I have neve had a problem playing by any of those leagues rules. Kind of hard to expect a bunch of amatuer leagues to adhere to the same exact rules when a lot of pro tournaments go by different rules.

Last edited: