CJ Wiley meets Strickland!

Klopek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One of the best matches I've ever seen was CJ Wiley vs. Earl the Pearl at the 1992 LA Open semi finals. He didn't win that one, though I think he probably should have, but it's great to see these two legends meeting up again.

Fleece3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Klopek said:
One of the best matches I've ever seen was CJ Wiley vs. Earl the Pearl at the 1992 LA Open semi finals.

Earl won that one 9-8. He went on to beat Archer in the finals. I have the DVD on that one. Also wasn't it a CJ's event that Earl ran 11 to win a million?

Klopek

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Fleece3 said:
Earl won that one 9-8. He went on to beat Archer in the finals. I have the DVD on that one. Also wasn't it a CJ's event that Earl ran 11 to win a million?
Hehehe, I have that DVD as well, did you get it on ebay from TIm Clark?.

Yes, CJ had just started that PBA tour and offered a million to whomever could string 10 racks together. Earl ran the racks right when the PBA started and bankrupted CJ's fledgling tour. At least that's how the story goes, has to be some truth to it.:)

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One thing I've always been curious about is, I know that four of the racks in Earl's 'Million Dollar Run' were 9's made on the break. Was the 9 shooting towards the corner, or did it get kicked in most of the time?

lacey6783

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard he had to sue them to get his money and then only got 600,000 out of the deal.I have been to CJ place and seen the table.

gregory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lacey6783 said:
I heard he had to sue them to get his money and then only got 600,000 out of the deal.I have been to CJ place and seen the table.
I also heard Earl had to sue for the money, but the $600,000 figure is because he opted for $600,000 lump sum vs. $50,000/year for 20 years.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gregory said:
I also heard Earl had to sue for the money, but the $600,000 figure is because he opted for $600,000 lump sum vs. $50,000/year for 20 years.

GOod choice...

gregory

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
cuetechasaurus said:
One thing I've always been curious about is, I know that four of the racks in Earl's 'Million Dollar Run' were 9's made on the break. Was the 9 shooting towards the corner, or did it get kicked in most of the time?
Ask Jay. He was racking from rack 7 on. In another thread http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=20576, Jay is quoted as saying:

Earl would not let me rack the balls for rack six. He pushed me away and said he would rack his own (as he had for the first five racks). I let him continue and he made the Nine on the break (an audience member told me that was his third Nine ball on the break in six games). I warned Earl that the prize might not be good if he didn't let me rack, so he reluctantly let me take over. In game seven the Nine went toward the corner but didn't drop. He eventually made it on a combo off the three or four.
I realized that Earl had figured out how to break on this particular table to get the Nine headed for the corner. I brushed the racking area with my hands (Earl didn't like this) to smooth it out. To the best of my recollection he never made the Nine on my racks, although a couple more got close to the corner.

wahcheck

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
C.J. beat Earl that time

Klopek said:

Yes, CJ had just started that PBA tour and offered a million to whomever could string 10 racks together. Earl ran the racks right when the PBA started and bankrupted CJ's fledgling tour. At least that's how the story goes, has to be some truth to it.:)

I read that in addition to the 11 rack-run, Earl met C.J. in the finals of that tournament, and lost to C.J.

5ballcharlie

GHOSTBUSTER
Silver Member
Klopek said:

tim clark kicks @ss