Room Size your personal EXP!

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello all,

I have searched but came up dry as to what a good size room would be. I am house hunting and would like a 9' table.

I know that Brusn. Website state a 9' table you need 14 - 18 but is this truly the case?

Does anyone have a 9' table in a room that size? How does it play? Please help me as this is a huge decision for me as to what house i should buy :)

Thanks,

duc996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The recommended size from most sites will give you minimum size requirements. I own a 9' GC1 and it sits in my game room upstairs in a room sized 17'x23' and it works great. The width of the room is perfect since I have bar stools on both sides with room to spare. I could manage with a shorter room but I have some bar furniture that makes the game room.

I would recommend taking measurements while stroking at different points of the table and laying out all your furniture you are planning on having in that room to get an idea of what size room you are comfortable with. Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Hungarian

C'mon, man!
Silver Member
14 by 18 is too small for comfortable play

Hello all,

I have searched but came up dry as to what a good size room would be. I am house hunting and would like a 9' table.

I know that Brusn. Website state a 9' table you need 14 - 18 but is this truly the case?

Does anyone have a 9' table in a room that size? How does it play? Please help me as this is a huge decision for me as to what house i should buy :)

Thanks,

Double-Dave

Developing cue-addict
Silver Member
My room is 460x590cm or 15'1"x19'4". For just a 9-foot table this is just about exactly
the minimum room you need for never touching the wall on any shot with a 59" cue.
The only problem I have with my room size is the spectator chairs do get in the way
on some shots, there isn't really enough room for them.

If the room were a few inches shorter or narrower it would still be ok for 99.5% of the
time espescially with a 58" cue.

14x18 you can certainly still enjoy playing but you will need a shorter cue (like 54") on
a couple shots each hour.

gr. Dave

Last edited:

eazyace

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thanks to all. I will definitely take this into consideration when buying my home.

daimion

Something Clever...
Silver Member
ive been told you need 5' clearance around the entire table to avoid hitting a wall etc. so i setup a room to be 15x20 for just a little extra room. my spectator chair is in the corner of this room and has never gotten in the way.

tonemachine

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Room for a table was one of my requirements, too. I have an L shaped living/dining room. The table sits in a section 25' long and most of the table sits in an area of 25' wide open. However about the first 1 1/2 diamonds at the head of the table sits in a 13'11" wide area, too small by most published minimums. Few times will that narrowness come into play but in order to achieve absolute unencumbered practicing on the full wall side, I offset the table by about 2 inches towards the "obstructing" wall, to be sure. I hung my light before the table was installed. The very experienced mechanic told me at time of table installation that I could have just centered the table on 13'11" and virtually never had a shot obstructed. In fact, i have at least 2" clearance on the worst shots on my "practice" side so the mechanic was right. In a year with my GC II, I've had that little section of short-side wall be in the way maybe 5 times, only with CB close to frozen to rail and shooting straight across- and with the table offset like I have it, it's as if I have the table centered in a maybe 13' 7" room in that section of the table. I can't speak for aesthetics or comfortability of movement of people in a room of 14', but 99.99% of the time the narrowness won't come into play even w a full length cue. If you are tall, I'm 6'3", your stance is more likely to be slightly encumbered if you stand with one foot far to the rear of your body.

If you can get only 14' wide room, you will have a good shooting experience the far majority, if not all, of the time; much better than settling for a smaller table, IMO. See my gallery. Good luck.

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
my garage is 215x240(inchs)
I have my 9ft goldcrown in there
I plan on adding a 9ft billiards table

I have just enough space for keeping them both
my gold crown will be repositioned to 52 inch from from the side wall while being exactly center leaving 52inchs from the sides

with my goldcrown its 52 inchs from the cushion to the wall
I wont have enough room to keep the new table 52 inchs from the garage door amd be able to have sufficient room between the table for getting down on the shot correctly

so what im going to do is sacrifice on side of the new table by pushing it closer to the door so that I have enough room in between tables

if it ever gets soooo serious that ineed to get on that side of the table to get a shot I can always open the door

not that itll ever get that serious

not ideal by anymeans but it will work for me

Last edited:

Ralph Kramden

BOOM!.. ZOOM!.. MOON!
Silver Member
Hello all,

Thanks,

IMO.. 15'x19' minimum to use a 58" cue not feel cramped.