Apa 5

tradr48

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not that familiar with APA ratings. Have a chance to enter an APA 5-and-under tournament. Could anyone tell me where a 5 would be on the Fargo rating? Thanks.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm a 5/6. Typically, A 5 will not run racks but can string together shots and knows how to play defense. A 5 just sometimes gets out of line, plays poor patterns and plays percentages wrong. But catch a 5 on a day when they are in stroke, and they can be dangerous.

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
All this talk of what an APA 5 can and cannot do, brings me to my question:

Is APA nationally ranked? It's my understanding that it's not. It's locally ranked. Which means an APA 5 in Atlanta plays much different than a 5 out in dewy-screwy no-where. Tougher competition locally will lead handicaps to fall naturally. And sandbagging in league is just a fact of life at this point. Watching 5's and 6's jump/kick/safe.....:cool:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member

Is APA nationally ranked? It's my understanding that it's not. It's locally ranked. Which means an APA 5 in Atlanta plays much different than a 5 out in dewy-screwy no-where. Tougher competition locally will lead handicaps to fall naturally. And sandbagging in league is just a fact of life at this point. Watching 5's and 6's jump/kick/safe.....:cool:

This has been hashed and rehashed time and again. It is a national ranking, but one that is generated and affected by the competition you face locally. All the scores are sent in to the national operation which determines Skill Level.

The level of play you face locally will affect and determine your success. It goes without saying that here in my little corner of Maine I'm probably not going to see as many higher level players as those in New York, or Atlanta.

Nonetheless, it's fairly close, in my limited experience. I recently met up with a fellow AZBer from the left coast who is a 7/9, and his level of play (in the short time we spent) was consistent with those in that skill level here that I'm familiar with. His wife is a long time 4, and she plays at a similar speed to 4's in our area.

A couple that moved here, from the Atlanta area, coincidental to your example using Atlanta, are similarly close to us out here in "dewy-screwy no-where". He's a 7/8 and she was a 4 when they moved here. She has since moved to a 5, tho she played here as a 4 for a year or so before moving up, so the example works out rather nicely. Not a night and day difference, really.

Will there be regional differences, sure. I just think it's not as huge as some would have you believe.

RichSchultz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has been hashed and rehashed time and again. It is a national ranking, but one that is generated and affected by the competition you face locally. All the scores are sent in to the national operation which determines Skill Level.

The level of play you face locally will affect and determine your success. It goes without saying that here in my little corner of Maine I'm probably not going to see as many higher level players as those in New York, or Atlanta.

Nonetheless, it's fairly close, in my limited experience. I recently met up with a fellow AZBer from the left coast who is a 7/9, and his level of play (in the short time we spent) was consistent with those in that skill level here that I'm familiar with. His wife is a long time 4, and she plays at a similar speed to 4's in our area.

A couple that moved here, from the Atlanta area, coincidental to your example using Atlanta, are similarly close to us out here in "dewy-screwy no-where". He's a 7/8 and she was a 4 when they moved here. She has since moved to a 5, tho she played here as a 4 for a year or so before moving up, so the example works out rather nicely. Not a night and day difference, really.

Will there be regional differences, sure. I just think it's not as huge as some would have you believe.
Funny...I am in Atlanta. The talent is similar to Birmingham, Alabama. I was a 5 there too. Bottom line 5s are above average.

cubswin

Just call me Joe...
Silver Member
Where I live a 5 is comparable to a average c player. Not sure if that ranking makes sense, and it can vary regionally as well as apa. Here, most of them aren't going to get out if they have to play break outs or multiple rail shape shots more than once

Now that I mention that, why the hell am I a 7.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It is national being that the system they use is the same for all and is based on many factors of the game. Though the local operator can lock or raise a player, for the most part unless you are dealing with a corrupt LO, the ratings are pretty close.

I have played in tournaments on both regional and national levels and shot against many people from all over the country and can honestly say it is pretty consistent through out.

This link will compare a few different systems: http://billiarduniversity.org/documents/BU_Rating_Comparisons.pdf

Last edited:

Cory in DC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It varies about 1 level from the city to the sticks IMHO.

I'm not disagreeing, but in which direction do you think it goes?

Absent sandbagging, I think 2-5 are pretty stable across regions. One thing I've noticed is that in divisions without good 7s, a strong legitimate 6 on a national scale will rise to a 7 (or an 8 goes up to a 9 in 9-ball). The same happens to 5s if there are no good 6s or 7s in a division, but that's less common.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I always say this half jokingly but actually serious an APA # is the number of balls they can run.

WillyCornbread

Break and One
Silver Member
I always say this half jokingly but actually serious an APA # is the number of balls they can run.

I've noticed this as well with myself and others. My ghost and skill level rose at the same time - I think it is remarkably accurate more often than not.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
An APA 5 probably sits between about 380 and mid-400.

Wisconsin Fargo System is about 20 points higher than the international Fargo System and it has an APA 5 between 400 and around 475. So, I'd guess that the international Fargo System (applying the 20 point difference) would be between 380 and mid-400s.

Assuming the game is 8-ball by the way!

DelawareDogs

The Double Deuce…
Silver Member
It is national being that the system they use is the same for all and is based on many factors of the game. Though the local operator can lock or raise a player, for the most part unless you are dealing with a corrupt LO, the ratings are pretty close.

I have played in tournaments on both regional and national levels and shot against many people from all over the country and can honestly say it is pretty consistent through out.

This link will compare a few different systems: http://billiarduniversity.org/documents/BU_Rating_Comparisons.pdf

I especially like the note on the bottom of your link....where it says (I'm pasting)

*: NOTE - these ratings can vary quite a lot among leagues and
regions depending on the level of competition.

This is exactly what I'm referring to.

ctyhntr

RIP Kelly
Silver Member
My first APA captain used this as a rough guide whenever he felt a player was under ranked.

I've noticed this as well with myself and others. My ghost and skill level rose at the same time - I think it is remarkably accurate more often than not.

croscoe

Retired
Silver Member

Is the link provided chart wrong?

VNEA locally a 9 is a lower (not as good as) ranked player than a 4.

I read above references to a APA player running ball roughly = to their play level.

If it is a comparison chart than the VNEA chart is inverted.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is the link provided chart wrong?

VNEA locally a 9 is a lower (not as good as) ranked player than a 4.

I read above references to a APA player running ball roughly = to their play level.

If it is a comparison chart than the VNEA chart is inverted.

I dont know if it is wrong or right as Dr. Dave provided it, not me. :) I only know about the APA skill levels and the Missouri 8 ball skill levels. The rest is foreign to me and I have no clue about them or how they compare. However, I would imagine that those ratings are based on thousands upon thousands of people over the years that have played in multiple leagues so they could attest to it.

The ball running equating to a player skill can probably be mathematically "roughly =" to every system rating out there in one way or another. It just so happens that the APA uses 2-8 or 1-9 in their system which makes it easier to identify while the others use letters or some much higher numbers.

A smart 5, 6 or 7 won't run that many balls unless the entire table is open and they are planning on a run out. Clearly the 5 is less likely to succeed compared to the 6 who is less likely to succeed compared to the 7. However, I think it is a little far fetched to say you can throw balls out on the table and they are only going to run what is roughly equal to their rating pretty often. If that was the case I would be an APA 15+.

ScottK

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Where I live a 5 is comparable to a average c player. Not sure if that ranking makes sense, and it can vary regionally as well as apa. Here, most of them aren't going to get out if they have to play break outs or multiple rail shape shots more than once

Now that I mention that, why the hell am I a 7.

Do you play in Illiana APA?