How many got it right the first time?

CalBlackSheep

Registered
Just curious how many people bought a cue online and were happy with everything about it on the first try? For me it's taken 4 tries so far, and hopefully I'll be done for a while.

1st was a Katana KAT10 that I thought I was brave enough to take a chance on. Given the lack of reviews. But I chickened out and cancelled the order the next morning.

2nd was a Mezz EC7-CMN. I found it on a website that had it for about $50 cheaper than anywhere else. Two days later when I called to ask why my money had been refunded, he told me they were out of stock and it would take awhile to get more in. Out of curiosity I checked his site the following day. It showed in-stock BUT the price had gone up to match everyone else's! Don't really blame the guy for not wanting to lose money. Just hate being lied to.

3rd was a beautiful Joss JOS16 (in the picture). But the one I got had as much character balsa wood! I tired to like it but even after playing a few games with it, it just didn't fit me. I'm sure I could've changed out the hard triangle tip and had a great playing cue but I couldn't get over the looks.

4th and hopefully final is a Mezz EC7-CMT. It's on its way to hopefully it's happy/permanent home!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious how many people bought a cue online and were happy with everything about it on the first try? For me it's taken 4 tries so far, and hopefully I'll be done for a while.

1st was a Katana KAT10 that I thought I was brave enough to take a chance on. Given the lack of reviews. But I chickened out and cancelled the order the next morning.

2nd was a Mezz EC7-CMN. I found it on a website that had it for about $50 cheaper than anywhere else. Two days later when I called to ask why my money had been refunded, he told me they were out of stock and it would take awhile to get more in. Out of curiosity I checked his site the following day. It showed in-stock BUT the price had gone up to match everyone else's! Don't really blame the guy for not wanting to lose money. Just hate being lied to.

3rd was a beautiful Joss JOS16 (in the picture). But the one I got had as much character balsa wood! I tired to like it but even after playing a few games with it, it just didn't fit me. I'm sure I could've changed out the hard triangle tip and had a great playing cue but I couldn't get over the looks.

4th and hopefully final is a Mezz EC7-CMT. It's on its way to hopefully it's happy/permanent home!

Nice looking cue and you can't go wrong with a Mezz, particularly if you ordered it from Seyberts, JJcue or Mezzusa. I'm not familiar with other dealers and I'm sure most of them are repuatable, but you will be guaranteed to be getting a new unused cue from all three of those dealers I mentioned.

Last edited:

CalBlackSheep

Registered
Nice looking cue and you can't go wrong with a Mezz, particularly if you ordered it from Seyberts, JJcue or Mezzusa. I'm not familiar with other dealers and I'm sure most of them are repuatable, but you will be guaranteed to be getting a new unused cue from all three of those dealers I mentioned.

Thanks, and yes this time I went with Seyberts.

CaptainPots

Registered
My first ever starting cue was a cheap Kaiser K066D cue I picked up from a local pool hall.

I got serious into pool and as a beginner, took a leap into picking up Mezz ZZSP (birdseye maple and ebony) with a WD700 from an official distributor brand new for USD 400 (converting from my local currency). It was the cheapest Mezz in the store. I also bought the cheapest jump/break cue for USD 85, cheapest 2x4 cue case for USD 120. 7 years down the road and I’m still using the same setup.

I guess the Mezz is working out to be pretty damn fine. I have tried only a few other cues — an OB (OB Classic), predators (314, 314-2, 314-3, Z2, Revo), Mezz (HP2), Eclat, Peri, Poison (old and new shafts), Fury, etc — but I find that my Mezz has proven reliable enough for me to wanna stick to it. Sure it looks almost like a revo after 7 years, has scratches and chips in the ebony (I’m not the most careful and loving), has a slight warp in the shaft, looks ugly on some days and pretty on others and has a weight balance I hate at times, but it’s comfortable.

It won’t be my last cue but if I’m willing to use it for 7 years and longer I’d say it was a perfect buy for a beginner-intermediate player.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I ordered different shaft for my old player 2 years ago but it was there really bad even I made a lot of search. I decided to not buy cue without testing. I was visiting Helsinki couple months ago and went to this one billiard shop what I know is good. They let me test all cues I wanted. I tested briefly 30+ cues. Finally I picked Mezz Ec7. I still have not found what I am looking for but that Mezz is good enough so I can wait perfect match!:rolleyes:

CaptainPots

Registered
Amongst all the cues you tested/have played with, were there any that are similar in hit to the Mezz you picked up?

I ordered different shaft for my old player 2 years ago but it was there really bad even I made a lot of search. I decided to not buy cue without testing. I was visiting Helsinki couple months ago and went to this one billiard shop what I know is good. They let me test all cues I wanted. I tested briefly 30+ cues. Finally I picked Mezz Ec7. I still have not found what I am looking for but that Mezz is good enough so I can wait perfect match!:rolleyes:

Coop1701

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just bought a new Mezz from Seyberts too. Should be delivered today. I haven't really had any bad luck on line. I am planning on selling my previous EC7. It's pretty and a great cue. Hopefully someone will like it when I post it for sell.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Amongst all the cues you tested/have played with, were there any that are similar in hit to the Mezz you picked up?

I did like other Mezz more but it was 300€ more expensive than Ec 7. Deflection was about same. Only hit was little better feel on that more expensive cue. That why I settled Ec7. I really don´t like "hit" but I liked how consistent was deflection on Mezz. It did not have huge gap after shooting little more english. Deflection goes up gradually and is easy to judge. That why I picked up Mezz. When I find similar deflection with little bit more "feel" I will change for that.
I tested Bob Jewett´s Revo briefly last year in Derby and liked that even I don´t like Predator at all. It had a bit more deflection than other Predators and I felt amused how that felt a lot better than wooden Predator :D. Maybe one day I will get one. Dunno. I was 25+ years solid maple player.. I just went to low deflection because i could not find cue where deflection is "Semi-low". My old Falcon with Predator z2(got one just for snooker) is "Semi-low" when I play Snooker with it. I made first hundred ball break day after I got it and made 147 in practice basically just 3 night trying. That is model what I want to my pool cue also be but not yet found it.
So what I prefer is not maybe match with others.

Last edited:

Jaden

"no buds chill"
Silver Member
I was...

I bought a 2009 McDermott cue of the year with an I-2 shaft and I was happy with it from day 1. Of course, you would hope that a cue that retails for 1300 would be decent and enjoyable lol...

Jaden